Cutting sugar from diet - effects on me.

What's Hot
I had that lurgy over the Xmas period which really messed with my appetite, basically ate nothing but a few bits of fruit and water for around 4 days. The thought of eating sweet food for some reason made me feel sick. Since getting better I decided to cut out biscuits, chocolate and crisps from my diet. i was becoming overweight clothes felt tight around my stomach, found myself doing that fat person thing of pulling my clothes away from my body when sitting down etc. Saw some recent pics of me and a mate who I've always considered to be around the same size as me - nope, I looked bloated and in poor shape next to him, funny how the brain tricks you hey?

So, with that in mind I haven't had a single biscuit, chocolate bar or crisp since boxing day, now i love sugar, I craved it especially after a meal, could eat 6 biscuits in one sitting with a brew and  working at a kids home I have pretty much unlimited access to a lot of unhealthy food and I took full advantage of that, during a night shift it wouldnt be unusual to polish off several club biscuits, 3-4 packs of crisps, fizzy drinks etc. When I was home I have 4-5 days off in between work stints depending on how the weeks fall. I'd find myself getting knackered at around 3pm and then 7pm feeling like I could fall into a deep sleep, so what did i used to do to pep  myself up? a bit of sugar llike biscuits, totally counter productive . I put this energy slump down to working nights and having a messed up body clock but even so I still manage around 7 hrs sleep a day when working so shouldn't really be an issue.

Anyway I'm not being anal and checking every label, I've just cut out the obvious shit that I used to eat. And the effects are dramatic, I've lost about 1/2 a stone fast, Clothes that were tight 3 weeks ago are now roomy, my energy levels and motivation have increased massively, I feel so much better for not having sugar even though I used to think that sugar made me feel better. I don't have scales and don't weigh myself so I'm estimating the weight loss but it is considerable. I'm not having the  energy slumps at all and I'm not grumpy with the kids because of felling exhausted. I have no craving for sweets after meals like I always used to get, you know that sense of not quite being fulfilled even after a meal, that's gone completely

So if you are messing around with the idea of changing your eating habits, just do it, the effects are brilliant, revelatory even.

Ive also took up Yoga, Mrs B has been doing it for years, it may look a bit namby-pamby but yoga is hard AF, you need to be so strong, its killing me but I love it!

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• well done on cutting out sugar! :)

I don't eat much sugar, but cutting out carbs eg Ritz crackers is soooo hard!

I'm being good and not drinking alcohol during the week though :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I need to do something about my weight, even if just to return to my pre Xmas weight. I have in the past cut out obvious sugary things like biscuits and cake and limited it to low fat yoghurt. Wasn't a huge lifestyle change but I found it very difficult to do yet lost about a pound a week doing it. So quickly re-addicted though, a slice of birthday cake and I'm tripping. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I introduced @speshul91 to this a month or so back.

When I did exactly this I was 97kg. 4 months later I was 73kg just by cutting out sugar. I ate my face off into stuff like grilled chicken and salad, fresh bread, pasta hot and cold........I was never hungry but losing weight astonishingly quickly.

Weigh in once a month to see a real difference.

Well done @jonnyburgo
    I've slipped back into sugar again over Christmas and it shows plus I seem to be back on coffee somehow?.... so this has given me a nudge as it were.
    Nice one.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    We haven't done any weighing yet but there is a big visible difference. @Alnico claire is over the moon about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    could eat 6 biscuits in one sitting 

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    In all seriousness, well done bud!

I'm lessening my intake too, it just started to turn my stomach after being ill too
  • Well done Jonny.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Nice one

I read "The case against sugar" recently. It's terrifying.
  • Yeah man, as someone who has lost 30kgs on a running schedule, power to you. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3355
    I need new eating habits, I drink way too much tea, crisps and bread, bread with everything, I need to stop eating bread!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3355
    Oh and salt , not forgetting salt.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @jonnyburgo: I would recommend that you see your doctor for a blood test and get your HbA1c reading. Make a note of the date and go back in 4 months for another check to see how you are doing. Again, make a note of the date. Then, you can go back in another 6 months and so on, or as recommended by your doctor.

There are two types of HbA1c readings available. Get the percentage reading.

The HbA1c test is used to diagnose diabetes and a range of between 4% - 5.6% is good. Anything above that means that you have become diabetic, but if this is detected early, you may be able to reverse it.

By cutting out sugar, you would be avoiding a high blood sugar level and the onset of diabetes. 

Of course, you can indulge in small quantities of treats, but don't overdo it. :) 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    I joined Slimming World on the advice of a few friends - including an osteopath friend (who it turns out had been going along) I've dropped a stone already in about 6 weeks (in spite of Xmas) and I haven't really been as disciplined as I could/should, but I had the same habits as the OP - an opened pack of biscuits became an empty pack was just a fact in my house.

Yeah man, as someone who has lost 30kgs on a running schedule, power to you. 
    That is great going!
    I want to lose about the same amount ultimately to get back to what I was when I started my business 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    One thing that I have known for years and is enough reason to be wary of too much sugar and that is that sugar does rot your teeth but moreso FROM THE INSIDE OUT! - It is the sugars IN THE BLOOD that do the damage.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @jonnyburgo: I would recommend that you see your doctor for a blood test and get your HbA1c reading. Make a note of the date and go back in 4 months for another check to see how you are doing. Again, make a note of the date. Then, you can go back in another 6 months and so on, or as recommended by your doctor.

There are two types of HbA1c readings available. Get the percentage reading.

The HbA1c test is used to diagnose diabetes and a range of between 4% - 5.6% is good. Anything above that means that you have become diabetic, but if this is detected early, you may be able to reverse it.

By cutting out sugar, you would be avoiding a high blood sugar level and the onset of diabetes. 

Of course, you can indulge in small quantities of treats, but don't overdo it. :) 
    Had a checkup just recently and bloods all good luckily, was diagnosed with greedy bastarditis though!. Well done to all of you that are on track. The real test will come if my cravings return.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Congrats! First step is ways the hardest.  
    I cut sugar from my coffee a few years ago now and the effects were quite startling. 

Hope it continues for you :) 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I joined Slimming World on the advice of a few friends - including an osteopath friend (who it turns out had been going along) I've dropped a stone already in about 6 weeks (in spite of Xmas) and I haven't really been as disciplined as I could/should, but I had the same habits as the OP - an opened pack of biscuits became an empty pack was just a fact in my house.

Yeah man, as someone who has lost 30kgs on a running schedule, power to you. 
    That is great going!
    I want to lose about the same amount ultimately to get back to what I was when I started my business 
    My wife is on slimming world, the best way to tackle it is to have a number of lunch and dinner recipes which you know are okay and online shop the ingredients weekly.  Its rare that you will be bothered to go out to buy something unhealthy if its not already in the cupboard.

"I need new eating habits, I drink way too much tea, crisps and bread, bread with everything, I need to stop eating bread!"

I stopped taking sugar in tea in Christmas 2016.  I still can't say I like tea as I did before it has cut me down from 5 cups a day to one on the morning and one in the afternoon though!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Weightwatchers recommend not cutting out sugar in tea or coffee. Their reasoning is that you're probably not actually getting that many calories from it, and it means you're not going full-spartan on your diet which improves your chances of sticking to it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Sporky said:
    Weightwatchers recommend not cutting out sugar in tea or coffee. Their reasoning is that you're probably not actually getting that many calories from it, and it means you're not going full-spartan on your diet which improves your chances of sticking to it.
    Yup. 1 tsp is 16 calories. At 3 cups a day with 1tsp each that's 17500 calories per year, which is 5 pounds of fat. 

Not really a big deal compared with eating better and doing more, especially if you're drinking something like lattes, since one of those is 200-odd calories each.

I already eat pretty well (can't have much crap food due to celiac), but definitely eat too much chocolate and drink a bit much, especially when busy/tired/stressed. But we've just signed up for a personal trainer 2 days a week. First session in Sunday before work. I'M GOING TO DIE...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Good luck with this.  I don't eat sugar.  My bane is beer, I love quality ales.  Alas, very high in sugar.  I'm down to drinking just once a month.  I could do with losing a chin or two.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom