Absolutely fucking livid........

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Boromedic said:

Sorry to hear that mate but I'm glad you're okay at least, hope the insurers are okay with you.

Is it repairable and if so can you buy it back from the insurers under the write off procedures. Might save you some money if the chassis isn't bent and the sill can be repaired.
    Yes, I've just spoken to the insurers and they're at least willing to look at a repair - I specifically said I'd be happy with second hand doors, if they can find some - it's not a rare colour. The issue might be the sill - it doesn't look bad, but sometimes these things can be expensive to straighten properly, from previous experience.

At the end of the day it was a low-speed crash between two old cars, no-one was hurt and both cars were driveable, so it could  have been much worse... especially as my daughter was in the car on that side. Modern cars with proper side impact protection are a very good thing - she got a fright but nothing more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Glad you're OK. And not really hijacking @ICBM . It was dead and buried, I got a 2016 VW Caddy Maxi Life. and very pleased with it. Its one of the Euro6 diesels that actually does comply with the actual road going emissions test. Don't doubt it will lose value quite quickly but that doesn't bother me overmuch I keep my cars until they die (or are killed). Last two have been 10 years +.

Yours will likely be a write off but provided the cill isn't too badly bent out of shape you might get away with it. Mine was door pillar bent, all airbags gone off, two doors smashed so they wouldn't shut front wing slight damage, cill badly mangled and steering track rod broken by the impact. No way it wasn't going to be written off. I did get a decent payout since it was really scruffy inside as i'd been using it for work, but all they wanted was the mileage and at 85k it was low so i got a way better payout than if I'd sold it. Downside was the amount I had to pay to get a Euro6 replacement.

And you are right petrol MPV's are like rocking horse shit. Like non-existent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    Glad you're OK. And not really hijacking @ICBM . It was dead and buried, I got a 2016 VW Caddy Maxi Life. and very pleased with it. Its one of the Euro6 diesels that actually does comply with the actual road going emissions test. Don't doubt it will lose value quite quickly but that doesn't bother me overmuch I keep my cars until they die (or are killed). Last two have been 10 years +.

Yours will likely be a write off but provided the cill isn't too badly bent out of shape you might get away with it. Mine was door pillar bent, all airbags gone off, two doors smashed so they wouldn't shut front wing slight damage, cill badly mangled and steering track rod broken by the impact. No way it wasn't going to be written off. I did get a decent payout since it was really scruffy inside as i'd been using it for work, but all they wanted was the mileage and at 85k it was low so i got a way better payout than if I'd sold it. Downside was the amount I had to pay to get a Euro6 replacement.

And you are right petrol MPV's are like rocking horse shit. Like non-existent.
    It’s somewhat ironic given what I posted here less than six months ago! Same basic accident, just not as big an impact. 

To my surprise, I had a quick look on Autotrader and there are a couple of petrol later-model Scenics and a fairly recent Vauxhall Zafira going not far from me. The Zafira is a bit out of my price range and I’m not keen on Vauxhall in general, but we will see what happens...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    You will see that there are quite a few Chrysler Voyagers/ grand Voyager with Petrol engines.....not everybody's choice but they are very cheap and very reliable...........had our last one for 13 years ,only serviced it once and it never missed a beat.
    I know a few other people who have had exactly the same experience 
     .....Seats designed for big fat American Arses are very comfortable too !
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    To all the people saying claim for whiplash, there is no fund set aside to pay your fraudulent claims all of our insurance goes up because of all the fraudulent claims.  They did a study of countries where they do not have no win no fee and less than 4% of accidents lead to whiplash injuries, here its over 90%.

Even if you decide you don't mind everyone else paying more for their insurance the person who has caused potentially a very minor accident which most people have done at some point, have to declare massive claims to other insurers which are not a true reflection.

Its the same thing as benefit fraud if you don't condone that you shouldn't condone this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    munckee said:
    To all the people saying claim for whiplash, there is no fund set aside to pay your fraudulent claims all of our insurance goes up because of all the fraudulent claims.  They did a study of countries where they do not have no win no fee and less than 4% of accidents lead to whiplash injuries, here its over 90%.

Even if you decide you don't mind everyone else paying more for their insurance the person who has caused potentially a very minor accident which most people have done at some point, have to declare massive claims to other insurers which are not a true reflection.

Its the same thing as benefit fraud if you don't condone that you shouldn't condone this.

I'm with you 100% on this

I had a no fault accident in 2016 and up until very recently have been having calls from Ambulance chasers.

One of them even said "well why don't you want any free money" - it made my blood boil.

I wasn't injured in the accident and other than damage to the car nothing else was harmed/damaged.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I never had a single call from an ambulance chaser, and I did get whiplash. It was only a slightly stiff neck that came on a week or so after the accident and only hung around for a couple of weeks. 

According to my insurers a  lot of them now put claimants through physiotherapy for 10 weeks or more to deter the claims.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    If it's any consolation, writing off your own car, on your own, is even more annoying.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    You will see that there are quite a few Chrysler Voyagers/ grand Voyager with Petrol engines.....not everybody's choice but they are very cheap and very reliable...........had our last one for 13 years ,only serviced it once and it never missed a beat.
    I know a few other people who have had exactly the same experience 
     .....Seats designed for big fat American Arses are very comfortable too !
    Ah... I always liked the look of those! But assumed they were very heavy on fuel. There don't seem to be many petrol ones around either - I have to increase the search radius to 200 miles before I can even find one online.

I guess it depends on how old you are prepared to go ..........there are lots of pre 2006 petrol ones

edited January 2018
    hywelg said:
    10 yards from home and a car broadsides me coming out of a side road. 

Steering rack broken, two passenger side doors fucked, passenger side airbags all gone off. Car is a write off. And I'll get fuck all from the insurance for a 2003 Ford Galaxy.

Trying to calm down but wondering what the he'll I'm going to do for a replacement.  
    Back to the main point do your research and gather evidence of similar cars in good condition and turn down the initial offer if you don't like it.  One insurer trick though is to offer you a hire car but then threaten to take it away if you turn the first offer down.

Edit - Just realised you have already sorted it all!
    Dominic said:
    I guess it depends on how old you are prepared to go ..........there are lots of pre 2006 petrol ones
    Too old really. I know old cars don't have to be unreliable, but there is a point at which things just wear out and it becomes a problem keeping up with what bit is going to fail next!

I'm probably looking for something 5-10 years old.

Just got a confirmation from the insurers that the Renault is a write-off. The slight bend in the sill counts as structural damage and they won't even look at repairing it at that age/value.

WHIPLASH INJURY CLAIMS ; INCREDIBLE
       I had a very bad pile up on M25 .....4 cars written off ,2 others minor damage .......all about 2 months ago.
    Nobody really hurt ,thank heavens but a few shaken drivers and passengers inc me .....those airbags hit you like a sledgehammer in the chest!
    Everybody standing around, chatting,argueing exchanging details for an hour while Highways officers sort it out and arrange Tow trucks with motorway contracts to clear cars, sweep road and re-open the M25 section.
    No sooner did they confirm recovery vehicles on the way everybody gets a mobile phone call from the recovery people confirming registration and how long they would be etc...
    Not 4 minutes pass before everybody's phone is ringing non-stop inc mine ................
     " Hello Sir, my name is Jay from ABC Accident Management Services ,I hear you have been involved in an accident etc etc
     They then start with Hire Car solicitation, what they can arrange and how soon, then suggest they transfer you to their personal injury advisor (some paralegal call -center ) and start advising on Hospital , maybe call an Ambulance ;How are you feeling and suggesting carefully that it may be in your interest to get an Ambulance to take you to Hospital for potential shock, whiplash,concussion and general checkover etc etc 
     I could see 4 of the people involved listening intently ...........suddenly an hour after the accident there are 3 of them asking Highways officers to call Ambulances , 2 of them have developed a sudden limp and the other 2 are leaning on the motorway fence holding head in hands and having breathing difficulty......they were running up and down the cars taking mobile photos 10 minutes earlier and one of them was trying to pull his rear bumper straight.
       Then as soon as Ambulances are requested the Police have to be called and the cars cannot be moved so M25 stays closed for another hour ! This was all totally motivated by the Ambulance Chasers.
     Obviously the scummy recovery operators have a data hotline to the Ambulance chasers which kicks this off.
    It is these vultures that connive and cajole people into these vexatious claims. Quite disgusting really.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    hywelg said:
    We will never overcome the blame and claim culture by indulging in it ourselves. I personally think it is abhorrent and the penalties for false claims should be very much stiffer than they are now. 
    Totally agree.

Its about being honest. Sounds pious, but when anyone starts going down the route of claiming all they can possibly think of, you perhaps need to ask yourself - what kind of person am I? A shyster or not?

Glad it didn't result in personal injury and that you have a motor sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM sorry to learn about your prang. best wishes for getting it sorted
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @ICBM sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK.

Phone a few Renault garages and tell them what you're after. If someone tries to PX one on a new car they can give you first refusal - they may be keener to do a deal with a prospective buyer of a new car knowing you may take the PX off their hands.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Snap said:
    hywelg said:
    We will never overcome the blame and claim culture by indulging in it ourselves. I personally think it is abhorrent and the penalties for false claims should be very much stiffer than they are now. 
    Totally agree.

Its about being honest. Sounds pious, but when anyone starts going down the route of claiming all they can possibly think of, you perhaps need to ask yourself - what kind of person am I? A shyster or not?

Glad it didn't result in personal injury and that you have a motor sorted.
    Agree with this, lots of people are morally horrified by many things but insurance fraud "well everybody does it don't they" 

No they don't.  You can't pick and choose if you behave like a scumbag its because you are a scumbag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Strangely my neck hurts this morning...

No, just kidding! I despise the whole fake claim culture too, and I won’t be doing anything like that. I’m absolutely certain no-one was injured.

Fretwired said:

Phone a few Renault garages and tell them what you're after. If someone tries to PX one on a new car they can give you first refusal - they may be keener to do a deal with a prospective buyer of a new car knowing you may take the PX off their hands.
    Good idea, especially as what I’m looking for is probably the sort of thing a big dealer won’t really want on their forecourt.

ICBM said:
    Strangely my neck hurts this morning...

No, just kidding! I despise the whole fake claim culture too, and I won’t be doing anything like that. I’m absolutely certain no-one was injured.

Fretwired said:

Good idea, especially as what I’m looking for is probably the sort of thing a big dealer won’t really want on their forecourt.
    Vauxhall Zafiras are pretty decent but I would avoid french cars, especially if the last one you had was one of the 2% without a problem : )
    munckee said:

Vauxhall Zafiras are pretty decent but I would avoid french cars, especially if the last one you had was one of the 2% without a problem : )
    The irony is that it's been the most reliable and cheapest to own car I've ever had - for nine years, so it's not exactly been a brief trial! But I know full well that another one might not be. It's the Marshall DSL of cars ;).

I do like the look of the 2015 Zafira - and it appears to be from after they discontinued the onboard self-lighting barbeque :) - but I can't really afford nearly ten grand unfortunately.