Drums - What software are you lot using

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    AD2 for me too. I like it, its easy, intuitive and the kits sound ace.

I use Battery quite a lot too, often with patterns from AD2.

I've got Drum Replacer too, but haven't used that yet, though looks OK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2018
    spark240 said:
    duotone said:
    spark240 said:
    addictive.....but can’t get into it at all...
    @spark240 ;;
    Its one of the ones on my shortlist, I’m probably just old fashioned but I prefer to see the kit set up like it would be in real life, so I don’t think it will be the one I end up buying.
    Ive had it for years....I keep getting cheap AD Paks hoping it will all come together one day....but I suspect not ;-)
    Where do you have problems with it? Is it the sound or programming?

I've got all of the AD Paks, but 90% of the time I just use the Fairfax Vol. 1 AD Pak.

I'm most fussy about Snare sounds and can get a huge variation from just editing and combining the snares in Fairfax Vol. 1.  There are some great variations in the Snare hits, and the Shallow Hit is a hidden gem with a nice bit of ring. Sometimes I mix it with other hits.

I generally don't use the built in AD reverbs. I prefer to bring the kits pieces out onto separate tracks and use general bus reverbs for all the instruments which helps things to sit right and seem like they're in the same acoustic space.
    It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    spark240 said:
    duotone said:
    spark240 said:
    addictive.....but can’t get into it at all...
    @spark240 ;;;
    Its one of the ones on my shortlist, I’m probably just old fashioned but I prefer to see the kit set up like it would be in real life, so I don’t think it will be the one I end up buying.
    Ive had it for years....I keep getting cheap AD Paks hoping it will all come together one day....but I suspect not ;-)
    Where do you have problems with it? Is it the sound or programming?

I've got all of the AD Paks, but 90% of the time I just use the Fairfax Vol. 1 AD Pak.

I'm most fussy about Snare sounds and can get a huge variation from just editing and combining the snares in Fairfax Vol. 1.  There are some great variations in the Snare hits, and the Shallow Hit is a hidden gem with a nice bit of ring. Sometimes I mix it with other hits.

I generally don't use the built in AD reverbs. I prefer to bring the kits pieces out onto separate tracks and use general bus reverbs for all the instruments which helps things to sit right and seem like they're in the same acoustic space.
    Im not good at programming the kits, I just find it tricky to get a decent rhythm and add fills etc, Im sure its not difficult really, you know how sometimes you cant gel with a system?

@duotone - If you want to upgrade S1 check out KVR classifieds  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I use EZ drummer 2. It's not the most advanced but it just works and it's really straight forward
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I'm new to all this and have started by using MT Power drum kit 2 which is free and seems pretty good, even if there is only a small kit.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Still on the drum hunt! And have reduced the short-list down to;
    EZ Drummer 2
    Addictive Drums 2
    Steven Slte Drums SSD4
    Native Instruments Studio Drummer
    East West Pro Drummer

Still need to watch a few more videos/reviews of the last 3 before I make my decision.  It seems from the first 2 on the list that it’s more down to personal preferences & User Interface as the Drum sounds both sound very good.

• duotone said:
    Still on the drum hunt! And have reduced the short-list down to;
    EZ Drummer 2
    Addictive Drums 2
    Steven Slte Drums SSD4
    Native Instruments Studio Drummer
    East West Pro Drummer

Still need to watch a few more videos/reviews of the last 3 before I make my decision.  It seems from the first 2 on the list that it’s more down to personal preferences & User Interface as the Drum sounds both sound very good.

Well, no one can accuse you of making a hasty decision :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Exactly...but would be even worse if I do buy something...then hate it!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2018
    duotone said:
    Exactly...but would be even worse if I do buy something...then hate it!
    True. But if you're like me, you buy something, then buy something else, then something else...

To be honest I don't think any of your options would be a bad decision, as I've got all of them except for East West Drummer Pro, and I've got Superior Drummer 2 + EZ Drummer 1 instead of EZ Drummer 2.

Of all of them, I happen to use AD2 the most, with the Fairfax 1 Adpack. But they're all good.

Btw. you missed BFD3 off your list, which might be worth a look. I've got BFD Eco, but keep looking at BFD3 as a possible future purchase.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2018
    Cheers @stratman3142 ;;

I had BFD3 on my list, but due to the cost (£279)got rid of it.  As a side note is it best to download them from their official sites Toontrack etc. Or is 
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/ ok to use?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    used BFD2 for a long time, then a few years ago upgraded to BFD3
    they're both superb..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • duotone said:
    Cheers @stratman3142 ;;

I had BFD3 on my list, but due to the cost (£279)got rid of it.  As a side note is it best to download them from their official sites Toontrack etc. Or is https://www.pluginboutique.com/ ok to use?
    It looks like they've got some good deals, but I've not used pluginboutique so I can't comment. I've generally purchased from the official sites, but I've waited until they have special offers which come up occasionally.

It's not a competition.
    duotone said:
    Cheers @stratman3142 ;;

I had BFD3 on my list, but due to the cost (£279)got rid of it.  As a side note is it best to download them from their official sites Toontrack etc. Or is https://www.pluginboutique.com/ ok to use?
    It looks like they've got some good deals, but I've not used pluginboutique so I can't comment. I've generally purchased from the official sites, but I've waited until they have special offers which come up occasionally.

Its a website @TimmyO mentioned a while ago, have never used it myself personally.

Clarky said:
    they're both superb..
    Cheers @Clarky ; BFD2 looks like it would serve me well, but is not available any more due to the release of BFD3.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2018
    duotone said:
    Clarky said:
    they're both superb..
    Cheers @Clarky ;; BFD2 looks like it would serve me well, but is not available any more due to the release of BFD3.
    both BFD2 and BFD3 are awesome.. 
    note though, to run either of them you'll need 16G of RAM
    the kit pieces chew up a lot of memory because each articulation is sampled 96 times [different velocities]
    and of course, being a prog rocker, the kit I built is absolutely enormous... lol..
    which pushes my Mac a little harder again... but I have 32G RAM so I'm ok..

for quick and easy stuff, I'll load it as a stereo AU and use the groove engine to play it [which has a great and varied library]..
    takes minutes to load up and create great drum tracks..

however... lol..
    for full on Clarky stuff, I call up a "new song" Logic project I pre-built that has BFD3 loaded as a mulit-out 8 mono / 8 stereo AU, which then appears in the Logic mixer with every kit piece having it's own channel strip..
    this means I can use my own effects AU on the kit pieces..
    Also I built sub-groups for the metals and toms, and another sub-group for the entire kit [with parallel compression and also a convolution reverb in case I want to do something a little different to the overheads, room and ambient mics coming from BFD]
    I also had to build a bespoke lane set in Logic to match the MIDI map I created in BFD3 [for all my zillions of drums and cymbals and the many articulations each have]..
    yup... it's huge.. and setting it up took yonks... but I only had to do it once.. 
    so each time I write a new piece I load this project like it's a template
    and it's fkn awesome...
    this means that I programme that drums from Logic [I mouse them into the step editor]
    but it means I have absolute control and can create any drum patterns I wish [in the stupid time sigs I write songs in]..

what really helps is that I used to be a drummer, so I can think like one
    this really helps when creating realistic sounding drum parts..

so... BFD can be really really stupidly quick and easy...
    and.. it can be really really stupidly complex..
    it simply depends how you want / need to use it..
    it'll cope with it all... no sweat..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    duotone said:
    duotone said:
    Cheers @stratman3142 ;;

Its a website @TimmyO mentioned a while ago, have never used it myself personally.

It’s entirely legit
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    This thread prompted me to have a look at what drum and percussion software I've got. The answer is more than I probably need, lol.

AD2 - use it
    Battery - use it
    Cakewalk Drum Replacer - don't know how to use it, ha
    NI Drumlab - its alright, but tbh AD2 sounds better
    Something in Sonar that I haven;'t used
    Damage - aswesomely ace thing, use it a lot
    Evolve (whole bundle that comes with Kokplete Ult) - again awesome and use a lot
    Maschine (iOS) 1 & 2 - no idea how it works
    A few percussion NKIs that come in Komplete, Africa, India I think, dunno, never used.
    a CR78 NKI emulation, like it, very retro. Can't quite get it working right though.

My 13 year old daughter wants to have a do at drums so I will be getting a cheap electronic kit soon, probably one of the Alesis, but haven't really looked yet. That could be a lot of fun.

TimmyO said:

It’s entirely legit
     Cheers!  

Downloaded the trial of Addictive Drums 2, so will have a play around with it.  The trial comes with a limited Fairfax kit.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    AD2 - you just missed the 50% off, comes around every 3 - 6 months so if you can wait, saves you a fortune. Also using the Abbey Road kits as I have Komplete Ultimate so I might as well use them, although I'm more used to AD. I find it very intuitive, and worked great with a yamaha electric kit I had connected to the PC, everything worked really well apart from cymbal grabs, I had to add them afterwards.
    Thanks @Exorcist will keep an eye out for price drops, when I eventually decide.

So far the AD2 trial seems ok. Sound-wise I like it, but it would be good to have an editor so I can sample the drum parts before dropping them into my DAW.