Katana Air

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4086
    Danny1969 said:
    Why is it so expensive ? It might run on batteries but they don't even supply a LIPO pack with a charge system, you gotta buy AA's
    The wireless receiver won't add much on as there's no enclosure and the power supply is already in the amp. 

It's a fine bit of thinking but a bit overpriced IMHO  
    I wonder what their margin on it is - I mean Roland/Boss don't *usually* go for the overpriced thing so I'd be interested to know this time.

Someone'll buy one and dissect it on the internet soon enough I guess.

In the meantime @timmysoft is right, these things will walk out the shop door without our help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Thinking about this, couldn't help remembering how much my wife totally hated the wires around my amp - not really the guitars or amps, but the wires to pedals, to amp etc.

Even though I have a looper pedal, a Trio etc. I always just plug straight to katana.  If your significant other is really into her tidiness if you have no spare room or office, garage etc. this will give you another option...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Are the FX actually stereo?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    randella said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Why is it so expensive ? It might run on batteries but they don't even supply a LIPO pack with a charge system, you gotta buy AA's
    The wireless receiver won't add much on as there's no enclosure and the power supply is already in the amp. 

It's a fine bit of thinking but a bit overpriced IMHO  
    I wonder what their margin on it is - I mean Roland/Boss don't *usually* go for the overpriced thing so I'd be interested to know this time.

Someone'll buy one and dissect it on the internet soon enough I guess.

In the meantime @timmysoft is right, these things will walk out the shop door without our help.

I think Boss / Roland pricing is all over the place. remember the first Waza amp, basically a fairly decent, if slightly plastic sounding, brown sound. That'll be £2.2K please, plus £1K for a cab! Then the "inspired by" katana comes out and it's arguably under-priced. can't help think that the success of the Katana means they are gunning for more margin missed first time around with this new one.

Waza pedals and Blues Cube look like two other things that are over priced IMO.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    They've sucked many of us in with Katana mk1 so just up the price for mk2.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I think Roland make some reasonable products, but as a general rule the extra they charge over the competition for some things isn't really reflected in supirior build quality, it's kind of prosumer level, built to a price but sold for more than that.

I think things like the Boss pedals and Roland V drums are professional products, much of their other stuff often falls in between.  Personally I hope there becomes a little more competiotion in the wifi/bluetooth 3rd amp market, I'm sure if somebody like Mooer released something of this ilk it would be half the cost and made in the same place.

• randellarandella Frets: 4086
    dindude said:

I think Boss / Roland pricing is all over the place. remember the first Waza amp, basically a fairly decent, if slightly plastic sounding, brown sound. That'll be £2.2K please, plus £1K for a cab! Then the "inspired by" katana comes out and it's arguably under-priced. can't help think that the success of the Katana means they are gunning for more margin missed first time around with this new one.

Waza pedals and Blues Cube look like two other things that are over priced IMO.

Granted, I don't really keep up with these things, but I do remember the Waza amp!  Hence *usually* above, I was pretty startled by that one.

On the other hand, Boss pedals, Roland amps, this new Katana thingy I keep hearing about, all seem (to me) reasonably priced.  I must admit I was surprised at the cost of the wireless version. 

Time will tell.  If they can't shift them then there might be a bargain to be had in 18 months. 

Either that or Marshall will do the same with the CODE, as it seems word has finally filtered down to Milton Keynes that 100W / 100KG valve stacks haven't been all the go since Motley Crue were bothering the charts.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Voxman said:
    Totally ludicrous in my view.  For that money you can buy the 50w Katana, floor controller, and Line 6 G10 that can be used with any amp or mfx unit.  
    I doubt you are the target market..
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I can see what was left off the Katana Air now and have amended it for Boss

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I was listening to Philip McKnight’s 2018 predictions the other day and I can’t remember the exact phrase he used but he talked about something like upscaling as what manufacturers are doing now - adding premium features to relatively humble products. The Waza Craft pedals are a good example and this is like that. You could get something that does the job for half the price but this has feel good premium features. To some extent reselling you what you already have. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2018
    One nice feature of this is that it isn't a flashy katana mini you have all the FX options and controls of a Katana 50

Edit except the attenuator
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2018
    I love it, it's shifted the boutique home stereo practice amp up a gear.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Well I wil be trying one. I,ve used a thr10 at home now for the past few years and its been great value given the use its had. I was thinking of trying the Vox but not sure it adds much more to the thr. If the Katana air can deliver the tones i need and the effects are stereo i,ll be getting one. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    It'll have to sound immense for me to consider it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Thinking about this, couldn't help remembering how much my wife totally hated the wires around my amp - not really the guitars or amps, but the wires to pedals, to amp etc.

Even though I have a looper pedal, a Trio etc. I always just plug straight to katana.  If your significant other is really into her tidiness if you have no spare room or office, garage etc. this will give you another option...
    This is true, and most people are now getting so used to wireless *everything* that they just find the concept of cables to anything a massive faff and inconvenience, as well as an untidy mess.

Back in the very early 1980s we had a video recorder with a wired remote control, which seems absolutely ludicrous now. Perhaps the same will be true of guitars in another ten years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• AndrewMAndrewM Frets: 35
    Has anyone plumped for one of these then?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    AndrewM said:
    Has anyone plumped for one of these then?
    I had one and sent it back.  I found it sounded quite boxy.  
  • I bought one and I love it, why I wanted it was to use in a small flat were not using a lead is great as he amp sits on a flat arm of a sofa against a wall ... So it's somewhere an amp couldn't normally go.  I'm playing more than ever!

See I'm always a bit tempted because i think the wireless might make me play more.

Might just get a Line 6 G10 for my Katana 50...
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    See I'm always a bit tempted because i think the wireless might make me play more.

Might just get a Line 6 G10 for my Katana 50...
    I got a Xvive U2 & use it with my K50 - perfect solution. In fact I use the Xvive regularly for small gigs - its great - plug & play!!