Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your local independent..

What's Hot
Guitar shop any good?  Looking for some new shops with decent secondhand stock to visit in the south east.  Even if it's in the Outer Hebrides let us know because you never know where you could be one day  ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Guitar Classics in Clapham is pretty ace. Lots of nice Gibsons & Fenders, prices seem keen too. They don't stock many strings though!
  • rico said:
    Guitar Classics in Clapham is pretty ace. Lots of nice Gibsons & Fenders, prices seem keen too. They don't stock many strings though!
    Yes I was there yesterday! It's my lunchtime local shop - I work in Putney.

Graham is a great guy and he does get a good range of stuff in.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Anderton's is closest to me but Guitar Village is just a little further away and far nicer to visit/spend some time in.
  • Whitecat said:
    Anderton's is closest to me but Guitar Village is just a little further away and far nicer to visit/spend some time in.
    Been to Andertons many times but nver GV.  Will have to pay a visit.  Farnham is a nice little town too right?
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Eric Lindsey in Catford, easily the best service I have had in a music shop.
    Tune Inn in Hither Green is nearer but only good when the son or young guy is working, the "dad" or older guy (owner) has regularly given me a terrible experience over the years. There is another nearby shop in Downham, Music Land, nice guys but just boring, cheap selection of guitars and amps. 
    Did anyone here ever go to Greenwich guitars? 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    rico said:

Small world, I live in Putney and when I work from home I often take a trip there.

Guitar village is pretty awesome too. 
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Jaywalk guitars in Street Somerset nice people and sometimes have used stuff in.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Go see my mate Gary in rock house music in Hampton.

mainly new gear, fender, prs etc but Gary is a cracking bloke and will give you all the time in the world... 

warning tho’ he’s a very good salesman so take your wallet ;)
  • rico said:
    rico said:

Small world, I live in Putney and when I work from home I often take a trip there.

Guitar village is pretty awesome too. 
    Haha small world indeed!
  • poopot said:

mainly new gear, fender, prs etc but Gary is a cracking bloke and will give you all the time in the world... 

Keeping meaning to pop in. Does Neil from Chandlers work there too?  He sold some stuff for me in the past
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    Whitecat said:
    Been to Andertons many times but nver GV.  Will have to pay a visit.  Farnham is a nice little town too right?
    Farnham's weird. Very convoluted to drive around.

I've never found GV at all friendly; even if the relative positions were swapped (Andertons is about two miles from me) I'd still go to Andertons instead. In all honesty I'd be more inclined to drive to World Guitars than to Guitar Village.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Dawsons in Altrcinham is pleasant, but sells nothing I'm interested in.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I know he’s nowhere near you - but I always like to give Chris at Amp Guitars in Macclesfield a mention in these sorts of threads. He runs a really small ‘old school’ business. Virtually everything he sells is used - you never know what he’ll have in - but invariably he’ll have something interesting.

He’s a pleasure to deal with - and the shop has real character. Highly recommended to those who are ever in the area.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I know he’s nowhere near you - but I always like to give Chris at Amp Guitars in Macclesfield a mention in these sorts of threads. He runs a really small ‘old school’ business. Virtually everything he sells is used - you never know what he’ll have in - but invariably he’ll have something interesting.

He’s a pleasure to deal with - and the shop has real character. Highly recommended to those who are ever in the area.
    Yes I am familiar with their website, some interesting stuff indeed!
  • Sporky said:

I've never found GV at all friendly; 
    I have heard/read a similar comment before.  Where is World Guitars?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited January 2018
    GV have always been great for me. Happy to let me try whatever whenever and happy to answer questions when I have them. They've also had to sort out warranty issues for me and did so perfectly and without fuss, so hard to not recommend them.

Andertons is just too cramped and noisy most of the time. I still buy the odd bit from them but it's often not as pleasant a place unless you go in the morning and catch them when they're a little quieter. 

Farnham is OK - there are a couple nice pubs and a proper medieval castle if you are so inclined... but it's kind of full of students and OAPs otherwise with very little in between.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Whitecat said:
    Farnham is good for a visit as well as popping in to Guitar Village. Top tip: if you are driving, come into Farnham from the west side and park in the Waitrose car-park. This will (a) put you close to GV and 9b) avoid the traffic snarl of the town centre.
    If you have a few hours to kill, take a walk up to the castle and check out the town museum (very near GV). Decent Cafe Nero for a coffee & snack, and some ok places to eat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    poopot said:

Keeping meaning to pop in. Does Neil from Chandlers work there too?  He sold some stuff for me in the past
    Nope... he’s not there anymore!.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Guitar Sounds in Chichester is a really nice friendly guitar shop and the Guitar Store in Southampton is fine too.  I agree with @sporky that andertons is way friendlier than Guitar Village. GV has a library atmosphere to it I find.

Sadly the 3 of the 4 independent shops close to me have closed down in the last 2 years and the 4th has been bought by PMT!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keith Dawson Music in Huddersfield. Anyone coming to the northern jam, it's a couple of hundred yards away from the studio 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you