Best Octave Fuzz! Anything better around than Fulltone?

What's Hot
WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
I'm looking to replace the Fulltone Octafuzz I stupidly sold a few years back! Before shopping around for another one, I thought I'd ask if anyone could suggest a similarly compact boutique octave fuzz that beats the Fulltone? My pedalboard is limited on space so it would need to be roughly the same size as the Fulltone 69 I'm currently using (standard Boss-pedal-ish size).

I found the octave-off fuzz a bit nasty on the Octafuzz, which is why I flogged it and got the 69. I'm basically after something that does octave-up and has a nice core no-octave fuzz tone as well. Anyone got any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Ss/bs buzzz?
  • I love the Foxrox Octron. It's a bit wider than a Boss, but the latest version is a bit more compact. And the octave down is the dirtiest, fattest thing ever.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    two main routes with this, something based on either
    - Octavia
    - Foxx Tone Machine

They're both upper octave fuzzes but they're different.   I prefer the latter.

The Foxx is usually implemented with a switch for the octave switch.

I think the Fulltone is based on Octavia?

MXR do a pedal based on the Foxx, so do Orange.  There are others too.  The Orange has an octave variable control.
    pedal fiend
  • Fulltone Ultimate Octave is a great take on the Foxx Tone Machine, still hard to find though, but it also has a killer Si fuzz sound as well.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Suhr Rufus Reloaded offers a different take on things, giving you discrete fuzz and octave modes in an MXR sized box.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I think @ThorpyFX needs to get on this game!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Could you keep your 69 fuzz and just add an octave up pedal? That gives you the most flexibility. If you're after the Octavia kind of glitchy octave thing then this method might not work for you.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I have a Sonus octavium for sale. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Right now I have a Foxx/Ultimate octave clone and the Octafuzz.
    The Foxx is smoother but not great at cleaning up with the guitar's volume or even going low gain.
    The Octafuzz is sharper but cleans up great and can do low gain.
    If you like the 69, you could always add a Green Ringer for the octavish thing.
    Pigtronix now has a mini Octava pedal too:

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    My vote goes either for a Green Ringer type device (I built an Earthquaker Tenticle) which can be used to turn any of your favourite fuzzes into an octave fuzz, sounds great with a Ge fuzz....

...or at the moment I'm really loving my Univox Super-Fuzz build which sounds pretty amazing with a Strat on the neck pickup. Not sure if you can buy any clones though, I think the Boss FZ2 was based on it, but that's discontinued. Skip to 55 secs if u don't want to listen to gearmanndude...

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Octafish said:

...or at the moment I'm really loving my Univox Super-Fuzz build which sounds pretty amazing with a Strat on the neck pickup. Not sure if you can buy any clones though, 

There's tonnes of fy6 Superfuzz clones. Fedric, Reuss, the SS/BS I mentioned, North effects, Wattson, Creepy Fingers will build one for you, one or more of the Maxon elements is based on it, Fuzzdog does a kit and will build it for you too.
  • I love the Foxrox Octron. It's a bit wider than a Boss, but the latest version is a bit more compact. And the octave down is the dirtiest, fattest thing ever.
    Thanks Jonny. Good to hear from you! Hope all is going well. Alas I don't think I quite have room on the board for even the more compact one of these. Just got me a fancy new Temple board, but I've maxed it out already.
  • Octafish said:
    My vote goes either for a Green Ringer type device (I built an Earthquaker Tenticle) which can be used to turn any of your favourite fuzzes into an octave fuzz, sounds great with a Ge fuzz....

...or at the moment I'm really loving my Univox Super-Fuzz build which sounds pretty amazing with a Strat on the neck pickup. Not sure if you can buy any clones though, I think the Boss FZ2 was based on it, but that's discontinued. Skip to 55 secs if u don't want to listen to gearmanndude...

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of something like this. Was also looking at the Lovepedal Believe, but they seem to be super rare now. I could do with a Tentacle type thing in a micro housing basically - I think that's the only way I'd fit another pedal on the board!
  • ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    Stay clear of the ehx octafix just average. I now use the old mxr octave fuzz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any love for the MXR La Machine?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    ab2017 said:

Thanks - I almost went for one of these.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    There's a Lovepedal Believe for sale here on the forum (no affiliation).
    bbill335 said:
    Octafish said:

...or at the moment I'm really loving my Univox Super-Fuzz build which sounds pretty amazing with a Strat on the neck pickup. Not sure if you can buy any clones though, 

There's tonnes of fy6 Superfuzz clones. Fedric, Reuss, the SS/BS I mentioned, North effects, Wattson, Creepy Fingers will build one for you, one or more of the Maxon elements is based on it, Fuzzdog does a kit and will build it for you too.
    I did wonder, to good a fuzz to not be cloned...
    ab2017 said:
    Yeah I had an Octavix for a bit. Thought it was actually quite a nice as just a fuzz pedal, but dissapointing as an octave fuzz
  • ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    I have a Genevieve FX superfuzz clone that I'm getting rid of £50 posted or will consider trades