What pentatonic over 12 bar blues?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Good stuff @viz ;
    Even though I "know" this it helps cement it in the mind.  Learning the same thing in many different ways helps become familiar with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2017
    aord43 said:
    Good stuff @viz ;;
    Even though I "know" this it helps cement it in the mind.  Learning the same thing in many different ways helps become familiar with it.

Yes good stuff @viz.

I also, agree with @aord43. I like to look at things from different directions and see patterns and connections between things. Sometimes a shift in perspective can open up new ideas.

I don't have a problem with the video lesson posted originally. It's just one of many ways of looking at things.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wis @viz for an eloquent explanation :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Cheers chaps. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Fantastic explanation @viz
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    the challenge is to NOT play a pentatonic over a 12 bar blues!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Easy way to spice up 12 bar blues soloing is playing the same pentatonic shapes you already know over all the minor triads in your scale. Let's say you're in A minor. You have D and E minor triads as part of A minor. That means you can play your bog standard A minor penta shapes as if D and E were the roots. These will bring in tones not found in A minor penta, but that are still within the A minor diatonic scale.
    Sorry if explanation is confusing, but it's easier if you try it.
    1. Play your A minor blues backing track
    2. Solo using your 5th fret shape A minor penta but do it as if the A was on the 12th fret instead of 5th, i.e. move the shape up 7 frets. It works, but is slightly outside of bog standard A penta (you now are playing the B note). 
    3. Do as above but using the 10th fret as if it was the A, moving up 5 frets, same shape as usual. Now you're even more outside, but still within the world of A minor diatonic scale, as you bring in the F which can sound a bit unusual in this genre.
    4. As you learn more pentatonic shapes, feel free to mix them in your solo as long as you bear in mind where all the minor triads are for your scale. For A you have D and E, for D blues you have G and A, etc.
    As you get more confident, feel free to mix and match these in a solo, perhaps even in the same musical phrase! If you stack them on top of each other in the same position, you'll end up with a lot of options without even moving your arm around the neck!

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    57Deluxe said:
    the challenge is to NOT play a pentatonic over a 12 bar blues!
    Current approach is to play whatever I think will sound good, and then if it gets too wild I know I can get back to pentas to anchor myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom