Has your dream guitar changed since you grew up?

What's Hot
Inspired by the

Have you owned your dream guitar from when you was a growing up.

thread.

Mine always was a Les Paul. Then I got one, and a few years later my dream guitar became a 335. Then I got one of those and now my dream guitar is a 175.

"The older we get the more hollow our guitars become" is true.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    The longer I play, the less I'm bothered by gear. So to answer your question, it's changed from an Ibanez Jem as a kid, to a Klein headless, and so on until now where I honestly don't really care as long as it's playable, intonates well and keeps in tune for the duration of a 30 minute set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    When I was 15 my dream guitar was a Strat Ultra. Never played one, but the review and pics in Guitarist made me drool. Plus it had ebony fretboard and Lace Sensors which I mistakenly thought David Gilmour used, he actually used EMGs. I remember I used to think the logo looked cool as well, not one of those 'silly' 50s-60s spaghetti logos. Nowadays I lust over vintage single coils, maple fretboards and Spaghetti logos :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    My dream was always a Les Paul Custom (used to love the darkness as a kid!).
    Got bought a Westfield Les Paul copy when I was like 12 for a birthday present which I thought was great but it probably wasn’t, then bought a battered Les Paul studio years later which was pretty awful, came back from 3 years at Uni to find the headstock had magically broken off while in a soft case while I was away (Mom claims she didn’t touch it at all.....)
    Still wouldn’t mind a Custom one day, but I think after I get a strat sorted I’ll be gas’ing for a 335 or similar in red (similar to Noel Gallaghers just without the bigsby!) 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    It used to be a JS1000 or the Chrome Boy. Now I don't have one though I have always loved the look of the Charvel Guthrie Govan
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited January 2018
    My journey has been Strat -> Ibanez 335 -> Strat -> Gibson 335 -> Super Strat -> Morgan custom LP ->Tele / Cabronita/Thinline etc (with occasional irrational obsessions on the way e.g. 1980s dayglo plasticene monkey grips )   plus .... some GAS must haves PRS Custom 24, Mike Stern Pacifica, Goldtop/Lemonburst LPs and a hankering for a Duesenberg TV)

The jazz route has been 335 -> cheapo jazz box -> 175 (hankering never fulfilled) -> Sadowsky Jim Hall (only thing that'd move me now would be an opportunity to own a real D'Aquisto - my Sadowsky is based on Roger Sadowsky's experience of maintaining Jim Hall's D'Aquisto for 20yrs. Short of a big lottery win a real D'Aquisto is very unlikely)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    I always wanted a les paul in black with a cream pickguard when I first started playing and am much more strat and tele focussed now.  Still love a 335 though.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    When I was first learning, I wanted to be Jimmy Page so "needed" a Les Paul. I've owned loads of them since... none of them cherry sunburst!

Then I discovered Gilmour and "needed" a Strat. I've owned loads - I had a Squier Silver Series for my 21st and I've come back to it. I wanted a CS but ended up buying a PRS 503.

Then I discovered the joys of the Telecaster. So I bought a good one. It was nicked. I bought another good one and it got destroyed by a "luthier" who knew less than my neighbour's cat about refretting... painful. So I bought another good one. I still have it. Its probably my number one guitar.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Well these days I only want practical guitars and GAS after cool basses instead.

When I was a kid I wanted a guitar to do everything, then when I realised that couldn't be done I wanted one of everything.  Then by the time I'd owned one of each thing I wanted to try I figured I don't actually like that much different stuff, so cut back to just the standard Fender/Gibson/PRS stuff. 

However, now I've discovered how much I like the Evertune bridge for the music I'm playing I now want to add more guitars with Evertune Bridges, and keep my old ones as they are.  There's not really a single dream instrument anymore though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    I guess my dream guitar used to be a pointy superstrat of some kind.

Now my dream guitar is a Gretsch 6120. 

So in answer to your question - Yes.

I would feel a right dick standing on the stage with a pointy superstrat these days, with my balding head and middle age spread! 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Low key want a 10 string classical guitar... so I guess I do have a dream guitar.
  • Well these days I only want practical guitars and GAS after cool basses instead.

When I was a kid I wanted a guitar to do everything, then when I realised that couldn't be done I wanted one of everything.  Then by the time I'd owned one of each thing I wanted to try I figured I don't actually like that much different stuff, so cut back to just the standard Fender/Gibson/PRS stuff. 

However, now I've discovered how much I like the Evertune bridge for the music I'm playing I now want to add more guitars with Evertune Bridges, and keep my old ones as they are.  There's not really a single dream instrument anymore though.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    mine seem to change with what artist I like at that time.

I went a bit Van Halen crazy for a while so bought a Kramer, 
    now I am big on Led Zeppelin I have a Les paul telecaster and considering a danelectro not that I really need it.

I want a double neck too but I know really I don't need it. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I can't answer that.........I haven't grown up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    Its still an original blackguard Tele from 52 or 53.....the price has changed somewhat as has the authenticity surrounding most for sale. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    My dream was always to play a BC Rich or other ridiculous pointy guitar, in a jazz band.
    That dream died when I discovered that I don't like jazz.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Red Strat ala Dave Gilmour
    Lowden ala Bensusan & Hedges

Now:
    Gretsch Duo Jet - obtained, success! 
    Gibson J45 - one day if I get tired of my AJ

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I had my dream guitar, then it got stolen, now I don't get too precious about what I play.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I don't think I had a dream guitar when I started. The first guitar that I played that I really loved was a friend's USA Strat. He'd taken most of the finish off the back of the neck, and done a bit of 'rolling' of the fret board edges -- 1992 or thereabouts -- and it was just a lovely, responsive guitar.

I suppose now, I'd still like a really good Strat (although it wouldn't be a USA standard), but I'd also like a really good classical (8 string, maybe, or a Southwell A-Series), and a really good T style guitar. And a nice archtop ... and ... and ...

I suppose it hasn't changed much, but I like completely different kinds of music these days, which is a tribute to the versatility of the basic Fender designs.
  • When I first started playing, I didn't really know much about guitars at all. It was maybe a year or two later that I saw Robert Smith playing some kind of Fender guitar that I'd never seen before, but thought it looked and sounded amazing. I subsequently found out it was a Jazzmaster.
     It took some time before I found one, and it just happened to be Olympic White, just like Smith's.
     I've subsequently bought two more Jazzmasters. Bloody love the things!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Wanted a Strat, now want a Soloist.