30ish watts amp with a lead boost / channel with marshally drive tones ??

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you mean a volume boost for leads, hardly any amps have one
    Actually most modern Mesa amps do, as well as the Marshall JCM900 SL-X and High Gain Master Volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The Mini Jube has a lead boost too, if you use the rhythm clip on the clean channel.  That's how I run mine (dirty plus lead) and it's how Marshall designed it.  I run the master at around 5, lead boost around 8 and for pub gigs it's perfect.

If you want Marshall gain tones at sensible volumes, plus a lead boost, it's absolutely perfect.  I can't praise it highly enough.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    My problem with using it like that is the amp just sounds grainy, weaker and less punchy with rhythm clip pulled. I can't seem to eq it to sound as good as when I'm just using the lead channel with rhythm clip off.
    It's a very sensitive EQ and everything affects everything else when you change something.  It's worth persevering with and finding a setting that works.

I'm using the head and matching 2x12 and a real key for me is to always have the bass on 10 and the presence on at least 7 to get the amp opened up.  It's a bright amp, just as a Marshall should be  :)
  • KristoKristo Frets: 123
    If you are near Suffolk you are welcome to come and try my Bluetone that's up for sale in the classifieds. Great sounding Marshall based solid state combo, with boost available by adding a footswitch.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    TTBZ said:
    My problem with using it like that is the amp just sounds grainy, weaker and less punchy with rhythm clip pulled. I can't seem to eq it to sound as good as when I'm just using the lead channel with rhythm clip off.
    Yes thats what i found. I had the Jubilee Mini and currently an original Jubilee and i find the tone on the boost channel is far better when the clip is not engaged. Also to use the clip on the normal channel i have to eq it in such a way that the boost channel suffers. They are great amps but work best for me as a single channel amp. Which in effect they are really.
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited January 2018
    My first real  valve amp was an ENGL gigmaster 30. it has a footswitchable gain boost, mid boost and master volume boost. The lead channel can get pretty gainy but it's not your typical ENGL high gain metal amp (the clean channel is pretty nice too).

I still have it, but I don't really use it anymore, so I could be convinced to part ways with it. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Collings said:
    TTBZ said:
    Yes thats what i found. I had the Jubilee Mini and currently an original Jubilee and i find the tone on the boost channel is far better when the clip is not engaged. Also to use the clip on the normal channel i have to eq it in such a way that the boost channel suffers. They are great amps but work best for me as a single channel amp. Which in effect they are really.
    Yes, they are. From memory the two modes engage different clipping networks, but it’s all on the same single audio path - hence why they affect each other.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    ICBM said:8
    Collings said:
    TTBZ said:
    Yes, they are. From memory the two modes engage different clipping networks, but it’s all on the same single audio path - hence why they affect each other.
    Yes thats my understanding. The boost mode/channel always has its diode clipping engaged and in the clean mode the rhyhm cipping is switchable from the front panel but as its essentially the same signal path.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    How about the Laney GH30R, sounds amazing here:

• photekphotek Frets: 1462
    Mini Jubilee works perfectly for me. Clip for for my main tones (Free, Allmans, AC/DC) then lead channel for big solo and gain boost. It needs to be loud to sound its best though (I mean 3/4 volume and up). Might be worth waiting for the new DSL range to make an appearance though.
    ^ same for me.  Clip, while a bit thinner and brighter, is blummin' marvellous!  Very AC/DC.
  • theres an orange rocker 30 combo for sale not too far from me.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I could be selling an Orange Rocker 30 Head in the very near future...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Marshall dsl401 or dsl40c
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Beexter said:
    I could be selling an Orange Rocker 30 Head in the very near future...
    Interesting !!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The Rocker 30 doesn’t do mean and boosted mean, it has a natural channel that’s pretty clean until it gets really loud and a drive channel, no fx loop either.

they sound good though
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    Twinfan said:
    It's a very sensitive EQ and everything affects everything else when you change something.  It's worth persevering with and finding a setting that works.

I'm using the head and matching 2x12 and a real key for me is to always have the bass on 10 and the presence on at least 7 to get the amp opened up.  It's a bright amp, just as a Marshall should be 
    I tried rhythm clip again at band practice tonight and I got some tones I'm pretty happy with! Its just a bit more subdued than the full on lead channel but boosting with my TS it was actually pretty close, with the now useful addition of the built in lead boost. Would like to try it with a different boost pedal now for my current band, but if I was playing classic rock I think I'd be happy with it as is - for heavier stuff I still prefer the lead channel at the minute.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    TTBZ said:
    Twinfan said:

I'm using the head and matching 2x12 and a real key for me is to always have the bass on 10 and the presence on at least 7 to get the amp opened up.  It's a bright amp, just as a Marshall should be 
    I tried rhythm clip again at band practice tonight and I got some tones I'm pretty happy with! Its just a bit more subdued than the full on lead channel but boosting with my TS it was actually pretty close, with the now useful addition of the built in lead boost. Would like to try it with a different boost pedal now for my current band, but if I was playing classic rock I think I'd be happy with it as is - for heavier stuff I still prefer the lead channel at the minute.
    OCD V1.7, that’ll sort you right out! The Boss Waza SD1 is also great.
  • @ICBM got my eye on a rocker 30 combo that's for sale locally , I'm hoping "collection only " will put enough people off so I can get it cheap.
    one of my friends is selling a. Marshall jcm900 mkiii too .