Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I find it all, well, just too depressing...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work, and PM with Eddie Mayer for the last 1/2 of my journey home but lately just find everything too depressing:
  • Brexit
  • Trump
  • North Korea
  • Grenfell Tower
  • London & Manchester terror attacks
  • NHS crisis
  • Chinese oil tanker falling apart
  • Landslides in California
  • etc...
  • etc...
  • ...now it's the impending war on plastics and the damage to the environment...
Has the world gone mad? Has everything always felt this bleak and I never noticed? I frequently can't listen to it anymore and often just turn the Radio off and drive in silence.

I find it all so tiring and just want to go back to bed...Am I going mad?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you forgotten the power of music as an escape from reality? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Do as I do, and get all your news from the daily mash!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work, and PM with Eddie Mayer for the last 1/2 of my journey home but lately just find everything too depressing:
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • NHS crisis
    • etc...
    • etc...
    • ...now it's the impending war on plastics and the damage to the environment...
    Has the world gone mad? Has everything always felt this bleak and I never noticed? I frequently can't listen to it anymore and often just turn the Radio off and drive in silence.

Drivel
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you forgotten the power of music as an escape from reality? 
    That's why my car stereo has a slot for a CD as well as a radio. Eddie Mayer pisses me off in the afternoon almost as much as Jon Humphrys pisses me off in the morning.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • NHS crisis
    • etc...
    • etc...

Eddie Mair and the BBC?!?! There’s your problem right there. Its not called ‘Biased Broadcasting Corporation’ for nothing.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2018
    I think I had a bit of an epiphany when I got offered redundancy this time last year, for the 2nd time in my working life. I took an alternative position in the same company for the same money which is very very good but had a whole "unplugging from the Matrix" moment and haven't been able or wanted to plug back in. I hate the corporate rat race bullshit and feel like a complete imposter at work going through the motions just slaving away tolerating swathes of bullshit, working to line the pockets of the board of Directors and shareholders. Other Managers around me are still devoted to furthering their careers and I have to fake a generous level of enthusiasm just to not stand out and so keep that income rolling in...

I just don't see the world around me in the same way now...

I have a dream, a plan to escape from it, building an income stream from other more interesting activities, to get the mortgage paid, get debt free, and replace the slave wage income, but it's going to take some time if by some miracle I am actually successful at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work, and PM with Eddie Mayer for the last 1/2 of my journey home but lately just find everything too depressing:
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • NHS crisis
    • etc...
    • etc...

Fook all that shit, I like to give a running commentary on the state of the nation every single time I venture out onto the Queens highway...where I can assure you every single bollocks on the road is a fookin imbecile...apart from me of course, I'm lovely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Sad times when I have to agree with Mr. Flagg  :(

I listen to all this, and it really puts the day on a downward note. Radio often gets turned off too. 
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • NHS crisis
    • etc...
    • etc...

Fook all that shit, I like to give a running commentary on the state of the nation every single time I venture out onto the Queens highway...where I can assure you every single bollocks on the road is a fookin imbecile...apart from me of course, I'm lovely. 
    There are people like you down south, so you’re not unique. They all drive Audis and Range Rovers and have a Galaxy glued to their ear.  ;)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    But it’s always been like this... I’ve always thought the “news” in the UK isn’t actually news, it should be called “bad news”, because that’s all they ever report.

It’s like people get off on that stuff, maybe we’re all so depressed that only seeing something even worse than what we’re going through will make us feel better?
    Drivel
    It is, it really is...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Tune in to Radio 6, it's marginally less depressing.
    It picks up a bit of a weekend.

Have you forgotten the power of music as an escape from reality? 
    No, music and wildlife...the birds in the garden, our 2 cats, the Muntjac deer that we feed and squirrels (we have 5 that often visit all at once to raid the bird feeders of peanuts), woodpeckers, Red Kites overhead in summer, the hedgehog that lives under the shed...

and music, I am now playing The Jam really quite loud.

It is my escape...and booze.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    And when you think things can't get any worse -- Just heard Nigel Farage is suggesting we have another referendum on EU membership - seriously.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

"Intelligence should be our first weapon
     stop reveling in rejection
    and follow yourselves, not some ageing drain brain
    who's quite content to go on feeding you garbage
    we're running on the spot - always have - always will
    we're just the next generation of the emotionally crippled"

Neill said:
    And when you think things can't get any worse -- Just heard Nigel Farage is suggesting we have another referendum on EU membership - seriously.

He’s just baiting the remainers.

Move along now, nothing to see here.
    edited January 2018
    "They were gonna build communities
    It was going to be pie in the sky
    But the piss stench hallways and broken down lifts
    Say the planners dream went wrong

If people were meant to live in boxes
    God would have given them string
    To tie around theirselves at bed time
    To stop their dreams falling through the ceiling"

• I think I had a bit of an epiphany when I got offered redundancy this time last year, for the 2nd time in my working life. I took an alternative position in the same company for the same money which is very very good but had a whole "unplugging from the Matrix" moment and haven't been able or wanted to plug back in. I hate the corporate rat race bullshit and feel like a complete imposter at work going through the motions just slaving away tolerating swathes of bullshit, working to line the pockets of the board of Directors and shareholders. Other Managers around me are still devoted to furthering their careers and I have to fake a generous level of enthusiasm just to not stand out and so keep that income rolling in...

I have a dream, a plan to escape from it, building an income stream from other more interesting activities, to get the mortgage paid, get debt free, and replace the slave wage income, but it's going to take some time if by some miracle I am actually successful at all.
    Exactly how I felt about a year ago. I “unplugged” and got out and haven’t looked back since. I have no interest in a career or amassing wealth anymore. My life now revolves around family, friends, music, art, literature, nature. In short, the things I care about.

Of course, I’m completely skint but that’s a small price to pay compared to the shit I used to have to put up with in the corporate world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I think I had a bit of an epiphany when I got offered redundancy this time last year, for the 2nd time in my working life. I took an alternative position in the same company for the same money which is very very good but had a whole "unplugging from the Matrix" moment and haven't been able or wanted to plug back in. I hate the corporate rat race bullshit and feel like a complete imposter at work going through the motions just slaving away tolerating swathes of bullshit, working to line the pockets of the board of Directors and shareholders. Other Managers around me are still devoted to furthering their careers and I have to fake a generous level of enthusiasm just to not stand out and so keep that income rolling in...

Exactly how I felt about a year ago. I “unplugged” and got out and haven’t looked back since. I have no interest in a career or amassing wealth anymore. My life now revolves around family, friends, music, art, literature, nature. In short, the things I care about.

Of course, I’m completely skint but that’s a small price to pay compared to the shit I used to have to put up with in the corporate world.
    Nice one.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

Someone thought the same as you in 1989.