The "Bass collection re-stocking" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    KKJale said:
    Ah lovely, the ACG cricket club auction bass, that's a real corker. And a bargain too!

Is that a flat radius board? Interesting...
    Yes it is - and that was part of the attraction. As was the handwound pickup and the 7.5lb weight..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Never heard of them but it looks nice?
    get it plugged into the Helix and record something
    really interested to hear it

Quick update - ACG arrived safely today. Got home late from work so not much time to play, but..

Blimey it's light. Really bloody light!

Pickup is punchy. Proper growly bark punchy. Nice.

Flat board feels really good - nut is about 42mm I reckon and it's a comfy asymmetric neck. It's a corker
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Going back to your comment about Jazz basses... one to try is the rarely found Trace Elliot T-bass. I had one briefly that I picked up for £550. MASSIVE sound and none of that Jazz bass 'politeness'.
    The old bass player in my previous band had one for playing Punk/New Wave on - it sounded epic.

The difficulty will be finding one and some were... not so pretty in terms of the colours.

Warwick bases - the early ones did balance. An old work collegue loved his solid walnut one (EMG pickups) and utterly regrets selling it.  I doubt he could afford to buy another now.

Final suggestion:

Shergold Marathon bass. :-) You know you want one...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited January 2018
    impmann said:
    Going back to your comment about Jazz basses... one to try is the rarely found Trace Elliot T-bass. I had one briefly that I picked up for £550. MASSIVE sound and none of that Jazz bass 'politeness'.
    The old bass player in my previous band had one for playing Punk/New Wave on - it sounded epic.

The difficulty will be finding one and some were... not so pretty in terms of the colours.

Warwick bases - the early ones did balance. An old work collegue loved his solid walnut one (EMG pickups) and utterly regrets selling it.  I doubt he could afford to buy another now.

Final suggestion:

Shergold Marathon bass. :-) You know you want one...
    I shall keep my eye out for a T-Bass to have a look at. Dunno what it is about the Warwicks, they just don't seem to be my cup of tea. I really should try one, but I feel quite meh about them.

I know some one with a really nice Shergold Marathon - lightweight, punchy, nice neck - sadly the selfish bastard doesn't want to let it go

Interesting factoid I heard on the radio: Gary Numan wrote the main riff to "Cars" in ten minutes on his newly acquired Shergold Modulator - which he still has!

I know some one with a really nice Shergold Marathon - lightweight, punchy, nice neck - sadly the selfish bastard doesn't want to let it go ;)

Interesting factoid I heard on the readily: Gary Numan wrote the main riff to "Cars" in ten minutes on his newly acquired Shergold Modulator - which he still has!
    Indeed he does still have his Modulator bass. Apparently he wrote the riff while testing it in the shop, so bought the bass and hurried home to finish the song.

Keep thrusting folding money under my nose... you never know... ;-)

impmann said:

I know some one with a really nice Shergold Marathon - lightweight, punchy, nice neck - sadly the selfish bastard doesn't want to let it go ;)

Interesting factoid I heard on the readily: Gary Numan wrote the main riff to "Cars" in ten minutes on his newly acquired Shergold Modulator - which he still has!
    Indeed he does still have his Modulator bass. Apparently he wrote the riff while testing it in the shop, so bought the bass and hurried home to finish the song.

What's the going rate for a Shergold marathon these days? £50?

;)
    impmann said:

;)
    Hah! I remember those days. My first Shergold Masquerader came out of a skip...

impmann said:

;)
    Hah! I remember those days. My first Shergold Masquerader came out of a skip...
    Bit harsh on the Shergold factory there mate ;)

Tho yours would look nice on my wall and would complement my collection nicely too ;)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I think you should get yourself a fretless and embrace your inner Palladino/Karn.

Stingray fretless, or a Wal.

go on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Snap said:
    I think you should get yourself a fretless and embrace your inner Palladino/Karn.

go on...
    Cor I'd have to put my brave trousers on to do that!

I have to admit I actually think Wal's are ugly and overpriced. Yeah, I'm a heathen, I know.

It is worth considering tho. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    What's the going rate for a Shergold Marathon these days? £50?
    That's probably all that HarrySeven paid for it. ;) 

Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:

go on...

I have to admit I actually think Wal's are ugly and overpriced. Yeah, I'm a heathen, I know.

Last year I played fretless all the time for about 6 months. Got quite into it actually. Then some chap sold me a Stingray and I was lost.....!

(Still loving it btw)
    Snap said:
    Snap said:

go on...

Last year I played fretless all the time for about 6 months. Got quite into it actually. Then some chap sold me a Stingray and I was lost.....!

(Still loving it btw)
    Good news on the 'Ray ;)

Fretless is more a curiosity for me at the mo. I will get one at some point.
    Well I had a good go on the ACG tonight. 

It's a lot more than I expected - got a real character to it! Lots and lots of growl and it's sufficiently different to a traditional p bass sound to be worth having. 

Tone is only half the story - build quality is impeccable - fit and finish is extraordinary. The weight is a massive plus - it's under 7.5lbs and balances so well on the strap.

I wasn't sure how much I'd like the neck - but it's wide enough for me, and the asymmetric profile is very comfy. An hour of playing and not tired at all. Lovely. 

For anyone interested, here are the specs:

ACG Finn 4

Top: Goncalo Alves
    Body: Alder
    Finish: MLF (minimum lacquer finish)
    Neck: Asymmetric Neck Profile / 3 Piece American White Ash
    Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
    24 Fret With Zero Radius
    Dual Action Trussrod
    Carbon Reinforced
    Alloy Side Dots
    TI Flatwound Strings
    Weight: 7.5Lbs (ish)

Hardware -

Goth GB720 Tuners
    Hipshot Type B Bridge 19mm Spacing
    Hipshot String Tree
    Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks

Electronics -

ACG Custom Wound PB Split Coil
    Volume
    Tone
    Series / Parallel Coil Switching Via Mini Switch

Fretless is more a curiosity for me at the mo. I will get one at some point.
    I find the fretless a very different instrument tbh. Its very unique. I'm not really a fan of the classic fretless sound, but I do really enjoy playing it.
    @impmann has succumbed!!! 

Shergold Marathon incoming for some retro 70s bass goodness :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and I tried the Ibanez and the ACG at rehearsal last night.. the Ibanez really punches above it's price - brilliant bass.

The ACG was also exceptional...
    @impmann has succumbed!!! 

Shergold Marathon incoming for some retro 70s bass goodness :D
    Ace. You are Peter Hook.

Here is some little known Shergold Marathon trivia: the global 1979 chart topping sensation that is Cars, by Gary Numan, was written on one in ten minutes.