Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I find it all, well, just too depressing...

What's Hot

Comments

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Randy, you ought to live in Scotland - we get all that and a whole load more = Scotland Bad, anything and everything about local things is dissed - eg the new Forth Road Bridge was met with daily criticism 'SNP' vanity project'  but it came in over 200+ M under budget AND ahead of schedule - quite a feat, and virtually nothing on the opening the opening - the MSM were so sickened by the great success they all but had a blackout on the success. The event was being celebrated even as far as Mexico who sang it's praises in a big news story. Very little was said about it until a while later they had to finalist the surfacing - well the media got hysterical and you'd have thought the bloody thing was about to fall down.
    We in Scotia  got the whole force of media propaganda during the Indyref as did you down south and when the Brexit vote came round - a large majority of us went against the then obvious 'UK direction', in fact my wife called it months before - how the 'UK' would vote.
    What we learned was - selectively get yer 'news' on the internet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2018
    Psychological Warfare 1 RandallFlagg 0    
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2018

• Its a commonly acknowledged research topic that humans are much more receptive to negative information - mainly because all the happy clappy ones got killed and eaten - those of us whose ancestors ran like fuck are still here:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200306/our-brains-negative-bias

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/why-is-there-no-good-news/ 

Honestly - unplug from the news, it's all bullshit anyway, none of the chicken little the sky is falling prediction actually come to pass so ignore the fuckers stick something on the CD player and relax.

On the work thing, console yourself with the thought those border line sociopath daft fuckers are actually taking this shit seriously, then have a big smile to yourself in your meeting ;)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Sometimes things look up, then they swing back down again. We’re in a muddy trough at the moment, I reckon. May and Trump are like Thatcher and Reagan - the new breed. Synth pop is king. Mass unemployment and race/nationalist issues. It’s the bloody 1980s all over again. Give it a few years and there’ll be a swing away from all this. I hope. And the rise of people in cardigans playing guitars.
  • Have you forgotten the power of music as an escape from reality? 
    That's why my car stereo has a slot for a CD as well as a radio. Eddie Mayer pisses me off in the afternoon almost as much as Jon Humphrys pisses me off in the morning.

Ah, so the CD prevents you from being pissed off in both the morning and the afternoon, thus leaving you fully charged and ready to be pissed off in the evening. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I find it reassuring to know that we are all just worm food in waiting, our ultimate fate is to die, nothing we do will ever change that. Knowing that, it frees me to just enjoy whatever time fate and nature give me. I dunno about everyday being a gift, I prefer to think of it as everyday is an opportunity. Some days I want to pack as much as I can in, every minute of 60 seconds well run and all that, other days I want to sit on the sofa all day watching youtube videos. Both are equally valid, I feel no extra virtue on the day well run, no guilt in the day slobbing. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    AliGorie said:
    Randy, you ought to live in Scotland - we get all that and a whole load more = Scotland Bad, anything and everything about local things is dissed - eg the new Forth Road Bridge was met with daily criticism 'SNP' vanity project'  but it came in over 200+ M under budget AND ahead of schedule - quite a feat, and virtually nothing on the opening the opening - the MSM were so sickened by the great success they all but had a blackout on the success. The event was being celebrated even as far as Mexico who sang it's praises in a big news story. Very little was said about it until a while later they had to finalist the surfacing - well the media got hysterical and you'd have thought the bloody thing was about to fall down.
    We in Scotia  got the whole force of media propaganda during the Indyref as did you down south and when the Brexit vote came round - a large majority of us went against the then obvious 'UK direction', in fact my wife called it months before - how the 'UK' would vote.
    What we learned was - selectively get yer 'news' on the internet. 
    Unbelievable, that bridge is a wonderful feat of engineering, something we should all be proud of.

• fandango said:
    I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work, and PM with Eddie Mayer for the last 1/2 of my journey home but lately just find everything too depressing:
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • London & Manchester terror attacks
    • NHS crisis
    • Chinese oil tanker falling apart
    • Landslides in California
    • etc...
    • etc...
    • ...now it's the impending war on plastics and the damage to the environment...
    Has the world gone mad? Has everything always felt this bleak and I never noticed? I frequently can't listen to it anymore and often just turn the Radio off and drive in silence.

I find it all so tiring and just want to go back to bed...Am I going mad?

Fook all that shit, I like to give a running commentary on the state of the nation every single time I venture out onto the Queens highway...where I can assure you every single bollocks on the road is a fookin imbecile...apart from me of course, I'm lovely. 
    There are people like you down south, so you’re not unique. They all drive Audis and Range Rovers and have a Galaxy glued to their ear.  ;)
    That's why they're so annoyed all the time, the reception on bars of chocolate is shite..lucky if you get one one bar...

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I think I had a bit of an epiphany when I got offered redundancy this time last year, for the 2nd time in my working life. I took an alternative position in the same company for the same money which is very very good but had a whole "unplugging from the Matrix" moment and haven't been able or wanted to plug back in. I hate the corporate rat race bullshit and feel like a complete imposter at work going through the motions just slaving away tolerating swathes of bullshit, working to line the pockets of the board of Directors and shareholders. Other Managers around me are still devoted to furthering their careers and I have to fake a generous level of enthusiasm just to not stand out and so keep that income rolling in...

I just don't see the world around me in the same way now...

I have a dream, a plan to escape from it, building an income stream from other more interesting activities, to get the mortgage paid, get debt free, and replace the slave wage income, but it's going to take some time if by some miracle I am actually successful at all.
    \I wish I could think of something else I could do, on the corporate treadmill and 43, doing anything else means an instant 50% pay cut and I have two kids and a female shopping habit to support!

I never get depressed and I am certainly not suicidal but the older get the more I think I have a lot of life insurance and if anything happened they would be financially comfortable and I could have a rest : )
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited January 2018
    I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work, and PM with Eddie Mayer for the last 1/2 of my journey home but lately just find everything too depressing:
    • Brexit
    • Trump
    • North Korea
    • Grenfell Tower
    • London & Manchester terror attacks
    • NHS crisis
    • Chinese oil tanker falling apart
    • Landslides in California
    • etc...
    • etc...
    • ...now it's the impending war on plastics and the damage to the environment...
    Has the world gone mad? Has everything always felt this bleak and I never noticed? I frequently can't listen to it anymore and often just turn the Radio off and drive in silence.

I find it all so tiring and just want to go back to bed...Am I going mad?

Music works for me. Have a lie down and slap some headphones on, get absorbed in the music.

...and it prevents you from going out to buy more plastic.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2018

I've given up on the Today program and Eddie Mair to avoid the doom and gloom too, at least for January. A bit of Bon era AC/DC helped. 

I actually put the new Nick Cave album on tonight - but then nearly threw it out the window it's so depressing. 

• I actually put the new Nick Cave album on tonight - but then nearly threw it out the window it's so depressing. 
    Try Leonard Cohen. You're never alone with a razor blade on your wrist.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

There's a mantra that the media use which goes along the lines of,

'If it bleeds, it leads'

Not sure it says more about them,or us,the consumers.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I think your own personality and view point acts as a filter on how you see the world.

Bad shit has always happend, it's always happening and it will keep happening. But for balance just don't forget all the amazing things and developments that happen too. In fact actively seek it out. Bad news is delivered, good news is discovered.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited January 2018
    Has any average person ever suffered from not keeping up with world events? Those things will either affect you, or they won't. Either way, there is remarkably little you can do to mitigate anything good or bad.

You need to know something about what is going on, and may need to stay current in specific areas (such as tech for me), but seriously, what do you actually lose by not keeping up with the constant negativity stream that is news? If "not a lot", why bother keeping up with it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I have for the last year listened to radio 4 Today programme on the way in to work...

What we need is some sort of musical instrument or sequencer that you can compose simple tunes or basslines on hands-free.  Voice commands or steering wheel buttons or something.

Something for the Making & Modding forum I think...

• I think I had a bit of an epiphany when I got offered redundancy this time last year, for the 2nd time in my working life. I took an alternative position in the same company for the same money which is very very good but had a whole "unplugging from the Matrix" moment and haven't been able or wanted to plug back in. I hate the corporate rat race bullshit and feel like a complete imposter at work going through the motions just slaving away tolerating swathes of bullshit, working to line the pockets of the board of Directors and shareholders. Other Managers around me are still devoted to furthering their careers and I have to fake a generous level of enthusiasm just to not stand out and so keep that income rolling in...

I just don't see the world around me in the same way now...

I have a dream, a plan to escape from it, building an income stream from other more interesting activities, to get the mortgage paid, get debt free, and replace the slave wage income, but it's going to take some time if by some miracle I am actually successful at all.
    Welcome :-)
  • U ok hun?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    quarky said:
    Has any average person ever suffered from not keeping up with world events? Those things will either affect you, or they won't. Either way, there is remarkably little you can do to mitigate anything good or bad.

You need to know something about what is going on, and may need to stay current in specific areas (such as tech for me), but seriously, what do you actually lose by not keeping up with the constant negativity stream that is news? If "not a lot", why bother keeping up with it?
    A lot of wisdom here.

@Randellflagg

Our manufacturing business takes a full two weeks shutdown at Christmas. I took the opportunity to not keep up with world events, I avoided news and most mainstream TV and switched off. Life continued and I returned to the fray just this Monday. It seems a long time since that break already.

I like you consider life outside of work to be important and have short, medium and long term goals (which can get modified to suit). Retirement is now looming and those years of grind have paid off and I managed to stay sane (I have witnesses OK).

Further income streams are a good idea, but so is quality of life, there is always the option of moving to a cheaper area to have peace/wildlife/homesteading/whatever and that might be Wales/Portugal/Bulgaria... at the cost of being near family and friends or your band/social life and the area you grew up.

But you do have choices at the moment so don't forget that. Decide what you really really want and then make plans to achieve that, you can modify the plans along the way (as can events) but you will be able to assert control.