Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should there be revisions to Fretboard members entitlement to sell guitars, amps, pedals etc ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited January 2018 in Guitar
I would like members to post their thoughts so as site Admin can use this thread as member feedback.

Am I being unfair in saying I think the entitlement to sell or trade on Fretboard should only be offerred to members with a minimum post count and minimum time being a contributing member ?

Are there members here, like me, who have seen item(s) for sale or trade and the product is right , as are the price or trade terms , but then you see a very low post count and alarm bells start ringing, are you prepared to spend your money or go through with a trade ?

Joe Soap with a post count of 0 and selling a Fender Super Reverb at a great price  could be a gem amongst gems and as honest as the day is long, on the other hand he could be a total con artist. The feedback section is a good idea, if im selling or buying I use it extensively so as I can get an idea about who im going to do business with. With a very low or 0 post holder who suddenly appears selling great gear at competive prices, the feedback thread is a non starter and there may be potential pitfalls.

Lets talk about this, what do you lot think ?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    This has been discussed so many times before.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    Ive never seen it, but I do think it is a valid discussion. I have had great trading relationships here at fb and this thread is purely about watching our backs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never liked that on forums and find that it often leads to people artificially inflating their post count through lackluster commenting.

It's also something that makes a forum seem insular and self serving rather than open and welcoming.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Agreed.

I think it's a way of attracting new members and as with anything that involves buying and selling - caveat emptor. Often these people are known by other members who can vouch for them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    edited January 2018
    I'm a member of a watch forum that makes you have 50 posts to view the sales corner - and 200 (I think) to sell on it. Works well, you can't just spam 50 posts in one go either. It also makes people get involved. I know some people don't like to post on forums as they fear a LOL... of some smart arse says 'have you tried google'... forces you to get over it.

The other thing it seems to do is keep watches on the forum within the forum - so you can try stuff for a good price - it's not the done thing to try and make money on items. Yes you could say it's a bit of a 'club' but in a way that's what forums are about? Doesn't have to be an exclusive one. But you do need to put something in, to get something back? Even if in my case it's stupid questions about guitars that yes, I could Google.

That said I do find here very good having bought and sold a few things. People are very helpful and the prices are fair.

The key is the number of post and how long you need to wait - that keeps the scammers away as it's too much hassle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m 100% against minimum post counts.

If they’re employed then the following negatives are likely

- Not join, this making the market smaller and reducing new members (I, and I’m sure many others first found the community via the classifieds)

- Post poor quality content in order to meet the post count requirement faster. +1, I agree, I like Telecasters... unecessary fluff that dilutes the discussion.

- Cause an admin headache if we decide that the posts need to be a higher quality than basic replies

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Should there be revisions to Fretboard members entitlement to sell guitars, amps, pedals etc ?

No

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11801
    This is enforced in many other forums, I have no objection to this.

It stops most traders and scammers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't have a problem with new sellers. One should always pay attention to standard checks when buying regardless of who is selling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Fretwired said:

Often these people are known by other members who can vouch for them.

I've done this for people I know but I have encouraged them to be part of the community and join in rather than just come on for one sale or to buy and sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• - Post poor quality content in order to meet the post count requirement faster. +1, I agree, I like Telecasters... unecessary fluff that dilutes the discussion.

- Cause an admin headache if we decide that the posts need to be a higher quality than basic replies

This happens at the moment.
    Just read the bitsa thread to see the same answer reworded over 100 posts

And all the needs a bigsby posts etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021

- Post poor quality content in order to meet the post count requirement faster. +1, I agree, I like Telecasters... unecessary fluff that dilutes the discussion.

This happens at the moment.
    Just read the bitsa thread to see the same answer reworded over 100 posts

And all the needs a bigsby posts etc

Everything needs a bigsby.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This is enforced in many other forums, I have no objection to this.

But playing devils advocat most traders are not scammers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah crap, I'm now going to get spammed with gazillions of post notifications because it's not possible to unsubscribe from individual threads.

That'll teach me to be a smart arse.

<sigh>

R.
  • I've never liked that on forums and find that it often leads to people artificially inflating their post count through lackluster commenting.

It's also something that makes a forum seem insular and self serving rather than open and welcoming.
    Yep.
    In answer to the original question: No.

Is there are problem you are seeking to address, @Telejester?

R.
  • This is enforced in many other forums, I have no objection to this.

But playing devils advocat most traders are not scammers.

Its the few chancers that ruin it for everybody. Ive seen items for sale as far away as eastern europe from a 0 feedback and 0 post count seller who is just likely  to be as honest as the day is long , but im not prepared to rely on blind faith. Im not convinced that post quality would hit the deck with garbage posts just trying to inflate a post count, a 0 post holder would have to be a very sad individual to go down that road.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The bottom line is always Caveat Emptor. The best defence is to view the goods before handing over money. If you can not or will not find the time to do this, you only have yourself to blame if you should victim to sharp practice. 

Be seeing you.
  • In answer to the original question: No.

Is there are problem you are seeking to address, @Telejester?

R.
    Hi Robin, no problem at my end, just discussing proactive  rather than reactive ways to ensure that FB is a safe trading place for all. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    The only time I’ve been scammed when buying online on forums or Facebook was by a regular member so I don’t see how it would help.     If you buy online you take a chance and learn to use sensible precautions.