Udemy online courses reduced to £10.99 for the next 12hrs - some reduced by 95% - worth a look

What's Hot
mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 379
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Just got an email about this from the Pouch app. First I've heard of Udemy so I had a quick look. I'm considering some in the writing field but there are loads of music based courses. Guitar, piano, harmonica, production, technology etc.

I can't vouch for the quality (so approach with a justified skepticism) but it's worth a look and may be of interest to some Fretboarders.

https://www.udemy.com/

Just so you know I have no affiliation whatsoever with Udemy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Thanks for posting @mikem8634 Some interesting courses on there and appealing that the content apparently is available for life. I am just checking out the reviews at: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/udemy.html

Of interest is "
    his just reruns with the clock count down, all of the time. It is designed to make you buy courses."

I was close to purchasing but thought I should review. I have other courses to complete first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Review doesn't look very good :-(

To be fair I use coursera but usually only go for the free courses. I think fine but they don't fare any better with respect to reviews:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/coursera.html

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Mark Bailey had his guitar making courses on Udemy ... dont know if they're still available there
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I bought a guitar course on there a few months ago and it was awful. There were printable tabs of the exercises and half of them didn’t match what you were shown on screen etc. I complained and got a refund. 
  • I've done several at Udemy on computer code - they are very good BUT I always check the reviews carefully and check the preview videos on the course. Some tutors go too slowly - avoid them.
    I guess music is more personal so what's good for one person may be bad for another.
    The courses are at these discount prices A LOT of the time so no big deal if you miss it - check back in a few weeks.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 379
    Thanks for the info folks, hmmm, seems a bit worrying. It looks like I've fallen for the kind of marketing bullshit I despise.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I've had very good experiences with TrueFire courses, for what it's worth. As an alternative.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Udemy is the DFS of online education - only suckers pay full price...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    I bought a business course from udemy a few months ago cos it was discounted. Still haven’t done it haha..
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited January 2018
    shame the stich method ones are not on sale. I started watching him recently on youtube and I think he's really good at explaining different concepts. 

@shrinkwrap ;
    For coursera they have the option of running the video at 1.25, 1.5, . . . speed. I found that useful but I'd guess there are no fixes for some lecturers, IMO being a good lecturer is a gift and shows a person's character.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited January 2018
    Yup, I've done one really good couse on Coursera - Udemy also has a speed control on the videos.
    I've been pleased with the three tutors I picked on Udemy - two aren't native English speakers either, but a relaxed touch and knowing the subject inside out goes a long way.
    Mega years ago I did some CDs on DTP stuff and it's hard work sounding natural and avoiding mistakes - you can't use a script as that always sounds artificial.

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    adamm82 said:
    shame the stich method ones are not on sale. I started watching him recently on youtube and I think he's really good at explaining different concepts. 

I thought I was the only fan of Stich around here, never heard anybody else mention him.  I've got both of his blues classes and found them really helpful.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I blinked once and missed the period where the expensive courses were full price
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neilg said:
    adamm82 said:

I thought I was the only fan of Stich around here, never heard anybody else mention him.  I've got both of his blues classes and found them really helpful.
    I too am a fan. He really does explain things well. 
  • I looked at the guitar things on Udemy ages ago and none seemed what I was after. Might try those Ian Stich ones when it's next discounted. But seems expensive for an hour and a half's online tution.