Has your dream guitar changed since you grew up?

What's Hot

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Don't know whether I ever had a dream guitar as a kid, but, I remember being very taken by a Jem on the front cover of a magazine. 

I now own my current dream guitar. A nice 335.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2018

I guess the very first guitar I wanted was probably a Strat, but my first proper dream guitars were Japanese models I saw advertised in the first few issues of Guitar Player I bought, around 1981:

Ibanez Artist AR300, Washburn Falcon, Aria Pro II CS400, Yamaha SG2000

I still love those guitars, I still think they look brilliant, still get excited when I see them on eBay... but I know most of them weigh a ton - as was the fashion at the time - and I'd find the necks too skinny.  I do actually own a CS400 now, and it's not bad, but I'll probably never buy the others although it's still not too hard to find nice examples in good condition.

I don't think I really have a dream guitar now, but I like conventional stuff like Strats, Teles, SGs and LPs.

• No... I got lucky in that regard, when I got my dream guitar, it was alright.
    I didn't hate it or anything, I loved it, sounded good, had that neck profile I was craving, had the weight too (which I assumed impossible to find in my budget). Yeah.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    My dream guitar was one with strings...............don't know why but as a kid any guitar I got my hands on was always one or two strings short but it still sounded good in front of the bedroom mirror with T Rex on in the background
    I did like the star shaped guitars of the Glitterband and Dave Hill of Slade .....................oh dear
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    My dream guitars have remained pretty constant. 
    It was always the Kossoff/Greeny Les Paul thing when I was a teenager. I never had an interest in Strats other than liking Floyd and Gilmour but never saw or heard myself with one and only did a partscaster to scratch the itch.

As all these stay pretty much above my budget I get distracted by alternatives and shiny things. 
    PRS Private Stocks are like crack cocaine, Its like  I stumbled on the first one now always looking for the 2nd LOL

The long wanted wishlist
    A good vintage 50's Les Paul (now being fulfilled by the Greco)
    A good Vintage Junior   (Being satiated by a home build GSP DC)
    A good Vintage 59/60's Strat (still probably want a CS rather than an original )
    A 000 Martin ( convincing myself my 300 quid Cort Adirondack is nearly as good lol) 

I see loads of things that catch my eye or ear my love of PRS came long before they were popular or I even new what they were it was something I tried and it was the best I had ever played at the time and its still a guitar that makes me play way above my pay grade. 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    After getting my dream super strat, I actually don’t have a dream guitar any more.

Which is good because now I can concentrate on playing guitars rather than buying guitars.
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    Well...I thought the tele is the most ugly guitar in the world, built only for country players. I thought Gretsch were very outdated and "meh" at best. I wanted 7 string Ibanez to play metal riffs.

Now Gretsch Power Jet is my main guitar, the tele is my number three and can't stand 7 string guitars and low tunings.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    My dream bass was always a Musicman Stingray, but I have never been able to bring myself to spend the money.

I don't care now, I've got a s/h Fender MIM P-bass and an old Yam BB1100s - both play well and sound good, they are all I want.

• I always wanted a guitar with a stupid shape like a Flying V or Explorer. I now prefer something more understated. I deliberately bought my PRS SE Custom 24 because I wanted a guitar with an OFR bridge that didn't scream 'Metal' like a Jackson or Ibanez. I also hated Les Paul guitars yet I now own a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I hated Stratocasters yet my third guitar is exactly that, albeit converted to an HSH configuration. I just grew up I guess in the same way that I used to like shredding players but now I find it boring.
  • Bucket said:
    That looks rather nice. Hope you achieve it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I think my "dream guitar" is kind of in the process of changing really - I'd always thought Strat was my ultimate guitar and most of my favourite players all play Strats. I do love them but as time goes on I'm enjoying humbuckers more and more to the point where Strats may no longer be my dream.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    I had the a page ripped out of a Fender catalogue with AVRI Jaguars on it - I wanted a Sunburst model as I was well into Nirvana at the time. I now own a AV65 Jag (sonic blue - my dream colour!!) - never thought I'd be able to but the 65 is a better instrument all round than the 62 from my experience and I'm genuinely thankful to own it.

If 16 year old me were in charge, I would be all over a Classic Player HH but the offset range has expanded significantly since 2001...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I said in the other thread that my dream guitar as a young un was a Les Paul, but when I eventually tried one, many years later, I hated it, as it felt overly heavy and cumbersome. I later took a punt on an Amazon special 2016 60s tribute T, which isn’t overly heavy, and I’m really glad I got it.
    Now I’d probably say my dream guitar is a really nice acoustic, as it’s mainly the acoustic that I pick up, these days. Then again, I’m quite happy with the acoustic I’ve got, so maybe I don’t have a dream guitar, now..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    like many guitar players, as a young player I was influenced by my heroes
    they mostly played Strats.. and there was Schenker with the V..
    a little later, Van Halen... super-Strats..

I'm still a big super-Strat fan [have several RG's and a very customised Fender USA]
    and I now play what are essentially super-Strats that have V shaped bodies
    play every note as if it were your first
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5380
    When I started playing in my teens my dream guitars were definitely double humbucker and mostly pointy.

Now my dream guitars are mostly single coil and curvy.

So, yes.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DiscoStu said:
    When I started playing in my teens my dream guitars were definitely double humbucker and mostly pointy.

Now my dream guitars are mostly single coil and curvy.

So, yes.
    You've went the other direction from me
  • Originally wanted a cherry burst Les Paul like Jimmy Page, but these days it would probably be a sole luthier steel string dream acoustic (most likely with an 18 month waiting list).
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Jalapeno said:
    with occasional irrational obsessions on the way e.g. 1980s dayglo plasticene monkey grips
    @Jalapeno Would pay good money to see photographic or video evidence of this! :)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited January 2018
    Well these days I only want practical guitars and GAS after cool basses instead.
    @guitarfishbay Please post details! My bass GAS is always on, and utterly irrational. (See recent acquisition of fretless 5 tuned EADGC.)