Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your local independent..

What's Hot

Comments

• Farnham is good for a visit as well as popping in to Guitar Village. Top tip: if you are driving, come into Farnham from the west side and park in the Waitrose car-park. This will (a) put you close to GV and 9b) avoid the traffic snarl of the town centre.
    If you have a few hours to kill, take a walk up to the castle and check out the town museum (very near GV). Decent Cafe Nero for a coffee & snack, and some ok places to eat. 
    Thanks for the tips!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Guitar Sounds in Chichester is a really nice friendly guitar shop and the Guitar Store in Southampton is fine too.  I agree with @sporky that andertons is way friendlier than Guitar Village. GV has a library atmosphere to it I find.

Sadly the 3 of the 4 independent shops close to me have closed down in the last 2 years and the 4th has been bought by PMT!
    Dont they sell Eternal Guitars at Guitar Sounds?  Would like to vist one day, combine it with a trip to the beach  :#
  • Coda - they post a lot of their second hand stuff on the website too. I check it every week
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    munckee said:
    Guitar Sounds in Chichester is a really nice friendly guitar shop and the Guitar Store in Southampton is fine too.  I agree with @sporky that andertons is way friendlier than Guitar Village. GV has a library atmosphere to it I find.

Sadly the 3 of the 4 independent shops close to me have closed down in the last 2 years and the 4th has been bought by PMT!
    Dont they sell Eternal Guitars at Guitar Sounds?  Would like to vist one day, combine it with a trip to the beach  :#
    I don't remember seeing them there but its not a brand I would look our for.  If you do hit the beach go to West Wittering, one of the best beaches in the south, extremely busy with queues for the car-park on hot Saturdays though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Sporky said:

I've never found GV at all friendly; 
    I have heard/read a similar comment before.  Where is World Guitars?
    Bloody miles away in Stonehouse, but well worth the visit.

We go to Farnham from time to time, but I don't bother going into GV any more - to be fair I think my guitar-buying days are behind me anyway. GV isn't actively unfriendly, but I don't find it welcoming.

I don't think Andertons is beyond criticism, and it does get mad-busy, but I've been able to time visits for quieter periods and generally found it has the right balance of not-being-hassled with being able to find someone whenever you need to. They've also looked after me well, even going beyond the already-generous return policy on occasion.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    munckee said:

I don't remember seeing them there but its not a brand I would look our for.  If you do hit the beach go to West Wittering, one of the best beaches in the south, extremely busy with queues for the car-park on hot Saturdays though.
    West Wittering is probably Sprocket's favourite place in the world.
  • munckee said:
    munckee said:

Yes been the WW many times! Eternal is a local company they build excellent quality guitars 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Isle of Wight = Utter shite

Unless desperate for a pack of strings!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:

The dog from fraggle rock?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:

What about that shop in cowes?
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:

The dog from fraggle rock?
    She's named after him.

Looks a bit like him too.
  • A Strings in Pontypridd are a good independent outlet, nice big shop and a Fender main dealer so they also carry Charvel, Jackson, Gretsch and others. PRS also. The sort of shop you can happily go and look around for half an hour, maybe try one or two guitars and also get a cuppa in the process. Oh, and they've been supplying Brian May's guitar tech with strings for a while now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RamJam in Aberdeen. Tiny second hand store but maybe 50-75 interesting guitars in stock, really friendly guys, happy to chat all day!
  • RamJam in Aberdeen. Tiny second hand store but maybe 50-75 interesting guitars in stock, really friendly guys, happy to chat all day!
    RamJam looks quality Tommy! Just a shame there are no prices on their website (and that they are not 600 mile closer!) ..
  • Peter Cooks Guitar World was my local for a few years til it shut down, only 3-4 members of staff and a very small shop. I bought one guitar from there and an effects pedal but that was about it.

I like the close-knit family type vibe a guitar shop has, so its a more personal experience. Sadly more and more local shops are closing and there's nothing left anymore.
  • Peter Cooks Guitar World was my local for a few years til it shut down, only 3-4 members of staff and a very small shop. I bought one guitar from there and an effects pedal but that was about it.

I like the close-knit family type vibe a guitar shop has, so its a more personal experience. Sadly more and more local shops are closing and there's nothing left anymore.
    Yep - a great shop and I still miss it. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited January 2018
    paulnb57 said:

What about that shop in cowes?
    What shop in Cowes?
    Edit, Goggled, New in 2017 Willys Guitar Shop....apparently a boutique......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    All my decent independents have closed down! I guess the only one I can think of is Rock Hard Music near work in Wolverton. 
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Soho has Denmark Street (across the road/Charring Cross Road):
    This shop through 2 owners and 2 names (same place, same furniture) has been (by coincidence) where I've scored my Gibson Les Pauls.
    Now owned by a Guv'nor named Ron. Seems cool enough, yeah.
    https://notomguitars.com/

I once bought a Tanglewood 12 String Acoustic here, many years ago... I also once bought a cheap Fender practise amp that I left on for a week by mistake and I think that's what killed my cheap Fender practise amp I bought from Wunjo. In 2016, This place was also selling my American Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (which I only bought because it's Ash/Teal finish was one I've always wanted and one that's hard to find)...
    Last November/November 2017 I found the pickups I wanted in Wunjo, found the set, bought it).
    I just spent £3, 995.00 in No. Tom Guitars and was looking in shops on Denmark Street that might have had the pickups I wanted since No Tom were going to install them into my Gibson R7 as part of their after purchase care... So I found them, in Wunjo in the end (I tried a few places first, Wunjo had them)..
    For a couple of weeks in 2014/2015; this place had a red 1960's Fender Straocaster in the window with a £116, 000.00 price tag on it.
    https://www.wunjoguitars.com/

I've bought straps and pedals from this place...
    When I got my Fender from Wunjo, when I got my latest Gibson from No Tom Guitar; I've always popped off to find a strap I wanted (since the shops that sold me my guitars didn't have the ones I wanted).. Regent Sounds have.
    They also have/had this venue underneath that I used to see live acts in.
    https://www.regentsounds.com/

When it comes to Soho, I'm on Greek Street, I used to be based on Orange Yard/Manette Street (The Borderline)...
    Denmark Street/UK's Tin Pan Alley is yards away.

Croydon:
    Rockbottom Music 'Rockbottom as I call it' sold me my Marshall SL5 Slash Signature Amp and when I bought it, told me it was the last one in England.
    When I got home I went online, found 1 for sale, then when I clicked on it, it was the very same one I just bought in Croydon.
    I once saw a review of this amp where someone said only 11 were made worldwide, or someting.
    Last November, this place sold me my mic/mic stand & PA.
    Also, the owner of this shop, cool guy, knew my name, so I thought it polite to learn/remember his... Karl/He/His shop's cool.
    Has a border collie (dog) on the shop floor too from time to time that's nice enough.
    I've bought and sold things here.
    I used to go here with my older sister (the one who's 10 years older than me) back when I was 8 in the mid 1990's.
    In the Croydon Riots of 2011, this place got hit bad.
    Thankfully they're back (went out of business for a little while because of that).
    https://www.rockbottommusic.co.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018

Maracari's... (Also for Soho / Denmark Street)

I haven't actually bought a guitar from them yet, but I have came close.
    They have two locations near each other, one has used fancy gear (and a cute girl who I like who works there)...
    and their Denmark Street location is a Gibson Dealer/has a wall of brand new Gibson Les Paul VOS's with prices starting from £6, 000.00 to like £7, 500.00 and will happily let you play on them.
    Also, these are the people who (if you have the money) can order you in a brand new Gibson with your exact colour and neck and headstock wants (if Gibson make it) - (Gibson dealer).
    http://www.macaris.co.uk/