Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should there be revisions to Fretboard members entitlement to sell guitars, amps, pedals etc ?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I do get the point. I’ve sold a couple of things on here for charidee and asked the buyer to pay into Just Giving (I think that’s what it’s called) and asked for people with a reasonable post count only because I feel that’s a reasonable indicator of reliability ( as I wouldn’t actually see the money myself). Although these weren’t high cost items so probably a bit daft in some ways.

On the other hand the classifieds are very important in attracting new members and without new members this place would eventually die ( or at least become very, very poorly). If they want to they can reference other members, eBay feedback, do local cash deals or whatever. Unless it can be set up as an automated system it would also be a complete PIA to police. Speaking of which something like a minimum post count might give the impression that TheFB takes some responsibility for transactions which it simply doesn’t. 

Anyway, as has been said it’s been raised a good few times before and never implemented so  the OP is probably on a hiding to nothing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWeary said: lo
    I do get the point. I’ve sold a couple of things on here for charidee and asked the buyer to pay into Just Giving (I think that’s what it’s called) and asked for people with a reasonable post count only because I feel that’s a reasonable indicator of reliability ( as I wouldn’t actually see the money myself). Although these weren’t high cost items so probably a bit daft in some ways.

On the other hand the classifieds are very important in attracting new members and without new members this place would eventually die ( or at least become very, very poorly). If they want to they can reference other members, eBay feedback, do local cash deals or whatever. Unless it can be set up as an automated system it would also be a complete PIA to police. Speaking of which something like a minimum post count might give the impression that TheFB takes some responsibility for transactions which it simply doesn’t. 

Anyway, as has been said it’s been raised a good few times before and never implemented so  the OP is probably on a hiding to nothing. 
    No probs Eric, I just thought it was worth an airing of thoughts and views amongst us.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    It shouldn't be the job of the admin/the forum to regulate buying and selling. It all comes down to you, the buyer. If you don't feel suitably safe, then don't go through with the deal. Some people won't buy from Joe Soap with 0 frets, and that's their choice, but why limit people with few posts from selling, when you can make the deal much safer through means such as meeting the person to complete the deal, or taking full contact and location details with proof etc.

I'm sure I've bought a few things via here from people with low post counts, no problems yet, but then on the whole 99% of people out there (or on here for sure) aren't out to scam you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    My first posts were all trying to shift gear back in 2013. Then I stuck around...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Anyone can decide for themselves if they only want to deal with a seller with a certain number of posts, they don't need the the forum to regulate that for them.

A healthy classified section needs to be as open to the general public as possible, if it's just a bunch of mates playing pass the parcel the prices plummet and it dies. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    p90fool said:
    Anyone can decide for themselves if they only want to deal with a seller with a certain number of posts, they don't need the the forum to regulate that for them.

A healthy classified section needs to be as open to the general public as possible, if it's just a bunch of mates playing pass the parcel the prices plummet and it dies. 
    All of this. 

If in doubt about a noob you can always pay through a regular PayPal payment (covering the fees yourself, obviously) and get the protection that comes with it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Post count is a waste of time, all that happens is, the new poster works his or her way through several posts, making enough comments to get the post count up....
    You don't have to buy something from someone with a low post count...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Wait what.   There's a "watch" forum?  What do people talk about? How close to 10.45 it REALLY is, someone has a watch that goes all the way up to 13, the watch people sold but now they regret it as no other watch tells the time like that one did.

I digress.

I wouldn't be against having a minimum post level or minimum kudos level  eg 10 post min and min 5 kudo points to avoid spammers.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    It would not worry me as post enough but as has been said these things even if you put them in place, they get scammed pretty quickly and if all that is stopping you is say 50/100 posts you can clock that up pretty quick and sell your stuff. 

Plus I think in other forums this quickly ends up with threads with a lot of "tagging along" or "totally agree" posts to start making up post counts. 

I don't think there is any other way really than the old expression buyer beware. 

In any classified transaction in any forum, there are no guarantees a scammer will always be a scammer. 

• Are there members here, like me, who have seen item(s) for sale or trade and the product is right , as are the price or trade terms , but then you see a very low post count and alarm bells start ringing, are you prepared to spend your money or go through with a trade ?
    DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, which may be different to The Admin Opinion...

Anyway, right now all members have the choice as to whether to trust a seller (or a buyer) or not. Imposing a minimum fret or post count removes that choice; I'm not in favour of that, because I'm a big proponent of personal responsibility...also, we don't guarantee sales in any way.

If we were to impose such a limit, it would have two effects:

1 - The limit would be, to all intents and purposes, arbitrarily-chosen - consider the problem of deciding how many posts or frets indicates that a person is trustworthy; they're completely unrelated measures. It's akin to deciding how good somebody is at playing guitar based on how fast they can run. There would then be folk who'd attempt to argue with us at great length about that limit.

2 - There would be some around who, upon having a bad trade, would blame us - we've put measures in place to say that somebody is trustworthy, and therefore if that fails they can hold us responsible. That ain't never gonna happen...we're not eBay.

So...nope.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    It was the classified ads that initially attracted me to the site, and I now visit it regularly. Whilst I didn't sell my amp through the site, probably because I had zero frets when I joined, I subsequently bought a guitar from established forum member (and a great guy to deal with) @BRISTOL86 As has already been said most people are honest, and it's a question of watching out for scammers. I have more confidence in trading through this forum having seen how supportive and helpful it is. If the aim is to continue to grow it then putting up barriers will make this harder as the classifieds are an incentive to join.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Wait what.   There's a "watch" forum?  What do people talk about? How close to 10.45 it REALLY is, someone has a watch that goes all the way up to 13, the watch people sold but now they regret it as no other watch tells the time like that one did.

I digress

Yes really!

check this one out. 

http://www.watchuseek.com/

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited January 2018
    CarpeDiem said:
    It was the classified ads that initially attracted me to the site, and I now visit it regularly. Whilst I didn't sell my amp through the site, probably because I had zero frets when I joined, I subsequently bought a guitar from established forum member (and a great guy to deal with) @BRISTOL86 As has already been said most people are honest, and it's a question of watching out for scammers. I have more confidence in trading through this forum having seen how supportive and helpful it is. If the aim is to continue to grow it then putting up barriers will make this harder as the classifieds are an incentive to join.
    Ah shucks 

I agree that it doesn’t send the right message. I’ve only really been dicked around once on here and it certainly wasn’t by a newcomer with no posts!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I’m not really active in the classifieds - I’ve bought a couple of things and sold a couple - but I think you pretty soon get a handle on who you’re dealing with.

People who respond quickly to PMs and generally have a ‘helpful’ demeanour are likely to come good.

People who go quiet on you, need chasing and try to arrange meetings in days you’ve specifically said you can’t do, are best avoided.

I’ve experienced these issues from someone with a decent post/fret count. If the individual question ever tried to do a deal with me again - I’d just say ‘no’.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    jaygtr said:

I digress

Yes really!

check this one out. 

http://www.watchuseek.com/

Actually there are a lot more bits to watches than guitars so plenty to discuss.

The movements are lot more complex than " Rosewood or maple"  ;) and whilst most people can undo four screws and take a neck off a Strat try pulling this apart. 

Image result for rolex 3135
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Frets and posts count are not an indicator of reliability.

Someone could join up, post a query as to whether their vintage strat is worth £10k - post pictures of an obvious fake, get 100 lols and then spend the next 30 posts arguing the toss and calling everyone arses.

Suddenly they are 40 posts in and over 100 frets. Doesn't make them a reliable seller at all. Similarly Mr Reliable could decide to take up guitar and respond to a classifieds ad with no posts and no frets and go on to be the next @richardhomer ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:

The movements are lot more complex than " Rosewood or maple"  ;) and whilst most people can undo four screws and take a neck off a Strat try pulling this apart. 

Image result for rolex 3135

I could easily pull that apart.

It just wouldn't go back together again afterwards.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    This is an interesting one.  I spend 90% of my online time on here.  I find this place very informative and interesting.  I have bought and sold stuff on here (nothing much).  Playing guitar is my main hobby and I prefer second hand gear so the classifieds have been great for me.  I dont spend most of my time there.

I am not a gigging guitarist and even though I have been playing guitar for over 20 years I have not done it seriously until the last 4 years or so.  I am a gigging bass player and have been playing for close to 30 years and I bore you to death with jazz theory but apart from that I dont feel I have much to add so I hardly ever comment.  I feel like there are so many knowledgeable people here giving great advise that my 2 cents are not really worth that much.  Its like being a primary level kid sitting in on Uni lecture and being asked to comment on quantum theory.

Should that then exclude me from being able to trade or view the classifieds?  Maybe, dont know but my point is that maybe there are quite a lot of lurkers like me that enjoy this forum greatly but are afraid to pipe up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Fret counts and post aren't a viable indication of reliability.

Regular content and lots of frets, don't detract from someone being a monumental nob to deal with, cough*Ro_S*cough .

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

- Post poor quality content in order to meet the post count requirement faster. +1, I agree, I like Telecasters... unecessary fluff that dilutes the discussion.

- Cause an admin headache if we decide that the posts need to be a higher quality than basic replies

This happens at the moment.
    Just read the bitsa thread to see the same answer reworded over 100 posts

And all the needs a bigsby posts etc

Everything needs a bigsby.
    I need a bigsby. I've only got a smallsby