Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I tried it with my h and k in the effects return and my bogner. The clean sound was amazing using the archtype clean amp...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    I'm a defector to the tube cause now and have  Helix LT
    I've stepped away slightly - I'm no longer doing the FRFR thing, but I'm still all-solid-state. Helix LT -> Rocktron Velocity -> real cab.

I have to say, the Helix LT is probably the best value you can possibly get in the guitar world right now.

Is this likely to be a permanent move or do you have plans to retry FRFR?

I like playing through a real cab too much, I think I’d rather go with in ears than use an FRFR monitor down the line
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    @digitalscream what led to the move away?
  • Jetfire said:
    I'm a defector to the tube cause now and have  Helix LT
    I've stepped away slightly - I'm no longer doing the FRFR thing, but I'm still all-solid-state. Helix LT -> Rocktron Velocity -> real cab.

I have to say, the Helix LT is probably the best value you can possibly get in the guitar world right now.

Is this likely to be a permanent move or do you have plans to retry FRFR?

I like playing through a real cab too much, I think I’d rather go with in ears than use an FRFR monitor down the line
    I really love FRFR - in fact, the gig I played with just the Alto TS210 on stage was the first time I've ever properly been able to hear myself at a gig. It was an eye-opener.

However, it's not really enough for rehearsals; the TS210 is great for making yourself heard within a couple of metres, but past that it starts to run out of headroom.
    @digitalscream what led to the move away?
    As above with rehearsals - I'm not a massive fan of using one rig in rehearsals and another at gigs - too much variation to be entirely predictable.

Also, we have a gig in a couple of weeks where the sound guy is a bit...lacking...when it comes to anything out of the norm ("the norm" being "shoving a mic in front of the house cab"), so for the sake of avoiding lengthy negotiations I'm taking the Velocity and 2x12".
    <space for hire>
  • Question for you all - 

I have a patch i've just spent almost all afternoon making, it involves 2 amp+cab blocks, at various stages in a split path. Is it possible to configure one footswitch (in 10 switch stompbox mode) to just switch between the 2 amps? I.e. I press it once and its on Amp A, then I press it again and it switches to Amp B?
    edited January 2018
    @vaticancameos yes. You but 1 amp off and 1 amp on in the editor. Assign both to the Same footswitch then when you press they will flip flop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @vaticancameos yes. You but 1 amp off and 1 amp on in the editor. Assign both to the Same footswitch then when you press they will flip flop.
    Holy smokes this thing really is that simple isn't it. I bloody love my Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    Can you do it with a snapshot, so that the snapshot sets the impedance accordingly?
    I thought the same but I don’t know if the input impedance is snapshotable (if that’s a word)
    You can—just push and turn the Impedance knob to assign it to snapshot control. Unfortunately, there may be a minor audible blip, as the snapshot is changing a real analog impedance circuit.
    Will [2.5] be announced at Namm?
    Yes. Probably won't be available for the show; maybe a week or two (or three) after.
    Melted buzzbox said:
    I want the filter effects from the m-series. So, so much.
    No excuse for not updating and adding the effects then? The reverbs were a straight port weren't they?
    Not quite a straight port. They had to be rebuilt in HX, but they're the same core M-Class (Verbzilla) algorithms, tweaked for the new DSP and with additional control and nuance.
    siraxeman said:
    I'd hope to see a decent harmoniser on the Helix...
    Don't take this as confirmation or any sort of timeline, but a couple of the world's top DSP gurus (especially with regard to polyphonic pitchshifting) have recently joined Line 6.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Don't take this as confirmation or any sort of timeline, but a couple of the world's top DSP gurus (especially with regard to polyphonic pitchshifting) have recently joined Line 6.
    Now *that's* good to hear. :)

I did my final year dissertation about Digital Filter Design (B. Eng (Hons) Electroacoustics, Upper Second Class, University of Salford) and I always wished I'd done more with it rather then ending up working in computing.

Fascinating subject.

R.
  • @Digital_Igloo ;

Please, oh please get all the fm4 sounds on the helix. The synth and filter section are like an orphanage at Christmas compared to the rest
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @Digital_Igloo ;

Please, oh please get all the fm4 sounds on the helix. The synth and filter section are like an orphanage at Christmas compared to the rest
    If you had to pick, say, two or three, which ones would you prioritize?
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2018
    Prog rock synth buzzes and farts that are barely usable in any meaningful tuneful context are the last thing I want added. You can delete the existing ones of you like.

Prog rock synth buzzes and farts that are barely usable in any meaningful tuneful context are the last thing I want added. You can delete the existing ones of you like.
    Happily L6 don't seem to be running out of space to store new models, so with a bit of luck the product is able to provide you with what you want and others with what they want.

Imagine that, the concept of serving other's needs and not just yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • @Digital_Igloo ;

@Digital_Igloo seeker and growler please! Mr Igloo
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    @Digital_Igloo ;

seeker and growler yes!
    Happily L6 don't seem to be running out of space to store new models, so with a bit of luck the product is able to provide you with what you want and others with what they want.

That being said, there must be a finite amount of space for algorithms within the unit? I wonder at what point there will be a need to pick and choose what algo's you have stored on the unit. or will that be far beyond the point in the future where a helix2 has been released?
  • sgosden said:
    @Digital_Igloo ;

seeker and growler yes!
    Seeker and Tron Up
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    sgosden said:

That being said, there must be a finite amount of space for algorithms within the unit? I wonder at what point there will be a need to pick and choose what algo's you have stored on the unit. or will that be far beyond the point in the future where a helix2 has been released?
    Although if you look at the size of the native plug in (39mb) I don’t thing the size of the algorithms will be the problem. It’s the processing power that will likely want to advance (but not for a while Id imagine)

Cabicular said:
    sgosden said:

Although if you look at the size of the native plug in (39mb) I don’t thing the size of the algorithms will be the problem. It’s the processing power that will likely want to advance (but not for a while Id imagine)

wow, ok I hadn't realised the algo files were that small!

helix 2 - 12 DSP lines - upto 40 snap shots on a 50 button controller - built in wireless and stereo power amp - talent booster - completely waterprrof and boyant and the foot switches can be programmed to help bring helicopters into land on it so it doubles as a aircraft carrier! and all for under £1000.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27579
    sgosden said:

helix 2 - 12 DSP lines - upto 40 snap shots on a 50 button controller - built in wireless and stereo power amp - talent booster - completely waterprrof and boyant and the foot switches can be programmed to help bring helicopters into land on it so it doubles as a aircraft carrier! and all for under £1000.

I, for one, look forward to setting up a patch that contains 135 instances of the panner block all running different speeds, only to realise that with only two speakers it's a bit underwhelming...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."