living on a quiet road v's a busy road. pros/cons

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I live in the dead end part of my road as it merges with another one, but its hardly quiet. Boy racer type cars always zooming round and blasting their shit music out loud.

Also the neighbours to the left of us are noisy fuckers too, slamming their front door multiple times a day, 5 on weekdays and up to 7 on weekends. I've kinda grown to know when they'll do it so much I put my headphones in at the times of the day I expect them to do it.

Also as live near the airport planes are flying over every 10 minutes or so, we never really get any peace and quiet.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    In my bachelor years I lived on a main road and struggle to think of any pro's to be honest. The cons were as follows -

Woken up by pissed up wankers shouting/singing/fighting and high heels clip-clopping on the pavement in the early hours
    Car noise at all hours, loud car stereos, revving of engines, horns
    Drug dealers plying their trade in the alleyway just below my bedroom window and looking at me like they want to kill me if we happen to make eye contact
    Coming home from a long day at a shit job to find 2 homeless people asleep across the doorway I needed to go through to get to my residence
    Impossible to park my first awful car anywhere and having to venture into the nearby red light area with all the associated dangers/thrills that brings
    Weirdo who lived in the flat downstairs playing the Boo-Radleys at all hours
    Weirdo who lived upstairs leaving his incredibly noisy toilet fan on at all hours 

Pros -

In town, was able to go out clubbing and be back in approx 3 minutes
    Lots of fast food joints about, which was important when I was in my twenties,
    Made me realise that, in the long term, city living was not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Quiet every time.... I live four miles from Manchester - but 200 metres from meadows and quarter of a mile from some great restaurants/pubs/bars. I have peace and quiet in abundance - but can experience noise quite easily if I want to....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    Done both.

Busy:
    Pro  - when you unemployed you have ppl to see as they walk past on their daily travails whilst you in your dressing gown eating toast.

Con - You see them again 8 hours later whilst you still in your dressing gown eating toast.

Quiet:
    Pro - When you retired you no longer need to wear your dressing gown.

Con - You often run out of bread and so you don't always have toast readily available.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I like watching the world go by, and when I'm working on motorcycles or playing guitar I feel a lot less self conscious next to our A road than I would in a quiet posh street. 

Of course I'd prefer to live in the middle of nowhere, but I'd still miss the social aspect of living on the main thoroughfare in a village, and seeing cool bikes blast past or my mates see me outside and pull in for a cuppa.  

There really are pros and cons, to me, anyway. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I had the best of both worlds when I was in Madrid - on a side street next to Paseo De La Castellana, in an interior flat. Really quiet but 5 minutes from the ABC shopping mall.

I lived on Colchester Road in Ipswich for 6 months. That was hell, so noisy.

We now live on a road which gets moderate amounts of traffic and quite a bit at rush hour times, and I wish it was just a bit quieter. There's a bus stop outside as well.

Quiet over noisy every time.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All respondents to this question, on this here forum for guitarists, should now get their neighbours to respond! ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    quiet road in the middle of no where. Much more relaxing and comfortable
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I live at the end of a Cul-De-Sac and the house backs on to a former farm track now footpath and then a school field. It's in a small market town. If I walk one way for 3 mins I'm in the high street and opposite the railway station. If I walk the other way I pass the local football ground and I'm stood in fields. I'm a 3 min drive from the A14 so access to anywhere is no big deal and It's quite except in the dead of night I can hear the frieght trains and motor cycles on the A14 (all that noise to transport one person in discomfort)!
    The Cons are that every noise at night makes you aware someone is about (or a cat).

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    edited January 2018
    OP - now you have some answers, why did you ask?

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Busy road.... Built in Neighbourhood watch.... B)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    I live miles from anywhere now, but when I was younger I lived on a busy A road into a city and also in central London so I've done both. Love the quiet now though.

The Cons though are: Its five miles for a pint of milk if you can't find an obliging cow,12 miles to a supermarket and even further to a guitar shop. When its icy we slip and slide about, there's no buses and no takeaway deliveries. Your car is always filthy. You'll probably die waiting for an ambulance. More flies. 

The Pluses: Some of the above save you a hell of a lot of wasted money. No one ever says ' I was just passing' so no unwanted visitors or relatives. You can hear a pin drop and hear yourself think...this is so relaxing, play your music loud. Walk the dog with no lead, your cat stays mostly alive. Forgetting to lock the house or car rarely ends in a theft. You sleep like a log. There are no traffic queues, no pollution. We have our own private rural fibre optic broadband that is beyond fast. Incredible views and sunsets. No need to fly tip,we can just burn everything lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    Nitefly said:
    OP - now you have some answers, why did you ask?
    I was curious what others thought.  

I've lived in homes in both quiet and busy roads, although always in surburban areas.

There are pros/cons to both.

A busy road will have traffic noise, of course, but that varies depending on how busy we are talking about.  And double glazing blocks out a lot.   I don't think one notices it much after a while.  The sound of cars at a certain speed can be quite soothing actually.

The thing about certain kinds of quiet roads - such as cul de sacs - is that although the road may be quiet as far as traffic is concerned, it may be not be quiet always in terms of noise. 

For example, certain types of quiet roads attract families with children to live there.  They can create noise and nuisance both in the house, and outside, in the back garden and with playing in the road which they seem to regard as their personal playground fiefdom with no consideration for anyone else.
    So the quiet traffic road isn't quiet after all.

Conversely, a busy road tend not to attract families with younger children to live there.  I regard that as good thing,   So it avoids noise from neighbours playing in the garden, and no kids playing in the street!

A big benefit of living on busy road is that you are more likely to be much closer to a bus stop, train station, local shops, and all sorts of other local amenities. So it can bring big conveniences in those regards.    Depending on the circumstances, you might even be able to live/commute without needing a car.

I lived in a modern cul de sac.   It was okay when I first lived there,  but certain neighbours' households made it hell.    The boom, boom, boom, of a football reverberated in the close, hitting the street and walls, and stuff hitting your cars and house.    I'll avoid that scenario in the future.  

I appreciate having a bus stop near me.   

I prefer quiet in terms of noise. but a quiet road doesn't always correlate with that.
    pedal fiend
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    AlexC said:
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.
    Luxury!

When I were a lad we 'ad to work 26 hours a day down t' pit then come 'ome and lick t' road clean.......
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    ESBlonde said:
    AlexC said:
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.yOU HAD A ROAD
    Luxury!

When I were a lad we 'ad to work 26 hours a day down t' pit then come 'ome and lick t' road clean.......
    You had a road?!!! we dreamt of having a road !!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited January 2018
    Depends where the road is.
     I would prefer to put up with the traffic in Sloane Square rather than a quiet cul-de-sac in Cleethorpes. (No offense to Cleethorpes)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
     cul-de-sac (what does that even mean?) 
    I always thought that should mean getting the snip.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Lived in a quiet cul-de-sac (translated from French it means 'arsehole bag') with 11 houses in it, for 18 years.

Wouldn't swop it for a busy road.