Wudtone/Osmo to finish a neck?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
Hi anyone used wudtone to finish a neck before?

I have a bare tele neck that i would like to give an aged/vintage tint. It appears to me to be an easier solution compared to nitro spray.

PROS? CONS? Any tips welcome. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I used it (actually just the Wudtone clear basecoat stuff left over from finishing the guitar body, no tint) to finish a neck once, and it did come out nicely. Just sanded the neck lightly to 600 grit, and then a few very thin coats, and buffed using a bit of copy paper and elbow grease.

Although I think if was to do a similar job in the future, I'd probably use Tru Oil instead. But it certainly worked well enough. :)

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Id buy one of these Osmo Sachet/testers in Honey and save yourself £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSMO-Polyx-Tints-Sachet-Honey/dp/B00TKB2MSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513195612&sr=8-3&keywords=osmo+oil

the 5ml in that would be more than enough for a neck and the Osmo stuff gives a really nice gloss but non sticky feel,ive used it on the past 4-5 builds/rebuilds ive done and i wouldn't use anything else now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii said:
     I'd probably use Tru Oil instead. But it certainly worked well enough. :)

I've got try oil but I need something to tint the neck to give it that vintage look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gizmo said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSMO-Polyx-Tints-Sachet-Honey/dp/B00TKB2MSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513195612&sr=8-3&keywords=osmo+oil

the 5ml in that would be more than enough for a neck and the Osmo stuff gives a really nice gloss but non sticky feel,ive used it on the past 4-5 builds/rebuilds ive done and i wouldn't use anything else now

Sounds very interesting @Gizmo !
    Id say grab one of the honey and one of the amber and do a test on the heel area that would be hidden in the cavity to see which you like,if it doesn't work for you just rub it down and you've only lost £2.80 ;)
  • Gizmo said:
    Id say grab one of the honey and one of the amber and do a test on the heel area that would be hidden in the cavity to see which you like,if it doesn't work for you just rub it down and you've only lost £2.80 ;)
    2 sachets ordered. I'll let you know how it goes  ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Megii said:

Although I think if was to do a similar job in the future, I'd probably use Tru Oil instead. But it certainly worked well enough. :)

This. With or without a tint underneath.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I did a neck with the vintage tinted Wudtone kit and it works well, but I still have a load left over which will now surely dry up and finish in the bin. Bearing in mind it's basically Osmo, do as Gizmo says and get a couple of those sachets and you'll be laughing.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    I got the vintage aged kit from wudtone and was dissapointed with the colouring I was about to order an amber kit from them then read this thread just ordered the Osmo sachet. Thanks Gizmo. Do you need to topcoat the Osmo? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Osmo normally dries within 24 hours, and hardens within a days or so.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Gizmo said:

First trial with the honey Osmo. I think this is 4 applications - I'm not actually sure it's taking on any more colour with each coat. Raw neck for comparison. (There are 2 bright spotlights shining on the table, so the centre of the neck isn't actually that light)
    It's not bad - wish it was a little darker. Feels great when dry, even without buffing yet.

• Gizmo said:

First trial with the honey Osmo. I think this is 4 applications - I'm not actually sure it's taking on any more colour with each coat. Raw neck for comparison. (There are 2 bright spotlights shining on the table, so the centre of the neck isn't actually that light)
    It's not bad - wish it was a little darker. Feels great when dry, even without buffing yet.

That looks great :)
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    How much does one sachet cover?  5ml seems a very small amount.
  • I used a vintage amber, can't remember the exact description. It was way to orange. Sanded it all off and sprayed a light brown from Rothko & frost, which was perfect as that has a bit of amber in it. I'd did a thread on a blackguard build I did with pictures if you're interested.
    Thanks for the report back @gavin_axecaster

The honey defo has a slight tint,this is the osmo top oil on my back to raw maple HM strat neck x2 coats

I find the Osmo Top oil to be somewhere between polyX and normal tru oil finish,

@aord43 5 ml of oil should give you about x3 light coats on a standard neck,Id suggest wrapping your application pad/cloth in clingfilm between coats so it wont cure & you don't waste any repriming your pad,sure its not economical to buy these sample sachet's if you have a lot to do but for a single neck/test its better than paying £20-30 and having a few 100ml's left sitting in a bottle.
  • You can add a little oil based varnish which will darken it a bit and give a slightly glossier finish if it gloss varnish if you are working with satchels probably not but mixing up 10-15% seemed to work well still goes on with applicator
  • Still waiting for my sachets but once I have finished the neck I'll let you all know how it went 
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Does the Osmo stuff have a similar odour/'amount' of odour to Wudtone?
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • Gizmo said:
    Thanks for the report back @gavin_axecaster

The honey defo has a slight tint,this is the osmo top oil on my back to raw maple HM strat neck x2 coats

I find the Osmo Top oil to be somewhere between polyX and normal tru oil finish,

@aord43 5 ml of oil should give you about x3 light coats on a standard neck,Id suggest wrapping your application pad/cloth in clingfilm between coats so it wont cure & you don't waste any repriming your pad,sure its not economical to buy these sample sachet's if you have a lot to do but for a single neck/test its better than paying £20-30 and having a few 100ml's left sitting in a bottle.
    Looks good, almost has a roasted look about it!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    edited January 2018
    Finally got round to this and I am really pleased with the finish - although a bit hard to capture on phone camera.  I used honey first then applied the amber as the honey wasn't quite dark enough.  Thanks for the tip @Gizmo !!