Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should there be revisions to Fretboard members entitlement to sell guitars, amps, pedals etc ?

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd be interested to know the post count for the forum's favourite architectural photographer...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I see where you're coming from, Telejester. 

At one point I would have agreed with you, but not any more.  I have sold a number of things on there to people with very low fret counts, some of them under 50.  At one time I would have been reluctant to trust someone with such a low number of frets but you sort of know from chatting to someone in PM if they are genuine.   I think it's only fair to give everyone a chance to buy and sell.

If you're suspicious you could always PM a mod and get them to do a bit of checking on the person to see if they can spot anything dodgy from their end. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    I keep reading posts about people joining via the classifieds. I have never joined any forum via classifieds. I've always joined to participate, share and acquire knowledge. Classifieds are a bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited January 2018
    markblack said:
    I'm a member of a watch forum that makes you have 50 posts to view the sales corner - and 200 (I think) to sell on it. Works well, you can't just spam 50 posts in one go either. It also makes people get involved. I know some people don't like to post on forums as they fear a LOL... of some smart arse says 'have you tried google'... forces you to get over it.

The other thing it seems to do is keep watches on the forum within the forum - so you can try stuff for a good price - it's not the done thing to try and make money on items. Yes you could say it's a bit of a 'club' but in a way that's what forums are about? Doesn't have to be an exclusive one. But you do need to put something in, to get something back? Even if in my case it's stupid questions about guitars that yes, I could Google.

That said I do find here very good having bought and sold a few things. People are very helpful and the prices are fair.

The key is the number of post and how long you need to wait - that keeps the scammers away as it's too much hassle.

I'm a member of that forum as well and yes, it does work well. Not sure how it works but as Mark said, if you blast out a bunch of rubbish to get your post count up it detects it. I think your account gets suspended but not sure. It does reduce the risk of bum deals, fakes and inflated prices. It was driven by a glut of new Rolex's being advertised at above RRP IIRC...

Having said that, whether guitars or watches, I am always super cautious and if there's anything I'm not sure about I walk away. It's not like no other USA Strats or whatever are available...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Babones said:
    I keep reading posts about people joining via the classifieds. I have never joined any forum via classifieds. I've always joined to participate, share and acquire knowledge. Classifieds are a bonus.
    I joined here via the classifieds.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    Babones said:
    I don't doubt it, hence the posts I mentioned.
  • I don’t think it’s really necessary. It pays to be wary but I find checking out someones profile and previous sales threads is a pretty good indication of what someone is like. 

Obviously if theyre new here it’s difficult but obviously common sense prevails there. I.e meet in public, pay cash or at least regular PayPal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Babones said:
    I joined music radar and thus here via the classifieds. 
    The most pro active thing TheFB does to increase membership is to talk to people at the Birmingham guitar show and the feedback from that has tended to be that people are more interested in the idea of free classifieds than anything else. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone old enough to remember Harmony Central may also remember the infamous "JBrazz" incident.

Sadly, even long time posters with thousands of posts sometimes turn out to be dodgy. You need to judge each person individually, not their post count.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably a daft question and don't wish to derail the thread but what are the "frets" values being referred to above?  I can see the numbers next to the user name but I've honestly never noticed this before. Is it the number of posts an individual has made on the forum or something different?  I guess it's something different as people have referred to both the number of frets a user has and the number of posts made as being possible indicators of trustworthiness.
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    I joined for an information source, found the classifieds to be a great addition and told friends about it who have also joined because of it.

Post limits are pretty annoying. Had a problem with my girlfriends car recently so joined a Seat forum. Took photos of the issue to ask for advice but wasn’t allowed to post any photos until I had 50 posts. I’m sure people had the knowledge about the issue they were willing to share but I couldn’t show them what the problem was. In the end had to try and describe it the best I could and got nowhere. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Babones said:
    I didn't know TFB existed until I googled for a place to sell and found it.  Didn't post in the classifieds in the end, I thought being new wouldn't help! 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Probably a daft question and don't wish to derail the thread but what are the "frets" values being referred to above?  I can see the numbers next to the user name but I've honestly never noticed this before. Is it the number of posts an individual has made on the forum or something different?  I guess it's something different as people have referred to both the number of frets a user has and the number of posts made as being possible indicators of trustworthiness.
    Someone more experienced will correct me if wrong, but I believe it's the number of "LOL", "Wow" , or "Wisdom" clicks your posts have acquired.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Participation is one of several things that a forumite might take into account, but it's not really much of a guide. I have bought things on here from people whose fret level was not inconsiderable, one was great the other required the threat of legal action to send the item in question.

What if someone passes the participation test and then scams someone? There cannot be any sort of comeback to anyone who isn't a party to the transaction.

Keep things as they are.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    aord43 said:
    Probably a daft question and don't wish to derail the thread but what are the "frets" values being referred to above?  I can see the numbers next to the user name but I've honestly never noticed this before. Is it the number of posts an individual has made on the forum or something different?  I guess it's something different as people have referred to both the number of frets a user has and the number of posts made as being possible indicators of trustworthiness.
    Someone more experienced will correct me if wrong, but I believe it's the number of "LOL", "Wow" , or "Wisdom" clicks your posts have acquired.
    Yes, that's why yours has just gone up by 1. :smile: 

I think the only thing you'd learn from looking at my fret count is that I don't Wow people very much :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 718
    The only issue I have is with 0 post count sellers asking for payment by bank transfer or PPG only

If if it’s not a ‘face to face’ sale, I think new sellers should perhaps have to accept ‘normal’PayPal only?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Neil said:

The movements are lot more complex than " Rosewood or maple"  ;) and whilst most people can undo four screws and take a neck off a Strat try pulling this apart. 

Image result for rolex 3135

I could easily pull that apart.

It just wouldn't go back together again afterwards.

After I posted I knew somebody would say that!  :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The watch forum that I also frequent (like one or two others on here) has a min post count and also a minimum time you must have been a member for. 

I am happy with either to be honest. The feedback thread on the watch forum is used as a matter of course for all deals (give or take i'm sure) but when there are far more regular high-price items being sold and traded, I do not think this is a bad thing at all. 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    edited January 2018
    @Telejester joined the forum November ‘15. First blog post was in the Amps Classified section December ‘15.

Less than a full month in, how many frets/posts did you have have that point? 
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Babones said:
    I moved here from MR for the classifieds
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.