Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

C18Q1 swampy strat... FINISHED with pics.

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    This is going to be great! 

What did you use for the tuner ageing? And can I see how they look? I have a similar set of new klusons that need un-new-making.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    This is going to be great! 

What did you use for the tuner ageing? And can I see how they look? I have a similar set of new klusons that need un-new-making.
    I used a mixture of Hydrochloric acid and peroxide,  I use it for pcb etching, you can reuse it rather than tipping it away, (the copper from the pcbs turns it the green colour you can see in that first pic)

put it the liquid in a container that has a lid, put the tuners in a smaller container inside the bigger one and let the fumes do its work... keep checking ever 30mins, rinse with water to stop the process...

you can can buy the acid from any little hardware shop, it’s sold as “spirit of salts”. You can do without the peroxide, it’s only in there to keep the enchant active tbh.

Tuners look a lot better in the flesh, still shiny but just a bit worn...

http://a64.tinypic.com/2kwsk.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got a few dings and dents in it this morning... will start the lacquer checking tonight if the weather is cold enough :)

ignore the pickguard, it’s just a temp measure!...

http://a63.tinypic.com/15gz0b9.jpg
    Right... the fact that I am an impatient git at times has led me to start checking the lacquer this afternoon.

used the “inverted air duster” method and it’s worked quite well... (Poundland people!... air dusters for a pound!)... 

to get some “dirt” into the cracks I used a cheapo liquid shoe polish (also pound land)... first pass with the polish saw the polish harden into a brown smear across the guitar... a quick squirt with mr sheen liquified the polish and got it right into the cracks! Result!...

once it was all done a quick buff with Tcut got shot of any residue and added a bit more shine, it also took the edge off the dents and dings!...

not 100% perfect but it will settle down and look more natural over time...

http://a64.tinypic.com/oft06d.jpg

and that is really as far as I can take it now... waiting on the correct guard and also the neck...

will update when I have something else to update with but that’s it for now...

9 days in and looking for another project to tide me over till I can get this one finished :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Just going back a few posts... do not submerge the machine heads in any liquid inc water. Just in case anyone picks that up wrong.

Looking great so far! It’s been a quick project!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Nice relic job, care to share how you do the chipped bits on the face of the body?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited January 2018
    paulnb57 said:
    Nice relic job, care to share how you do the chipped bits on the face of the body?
    Drop stuff on it! is the simplest answer... a few keys, screws etc. Not from a great height tho’. It helps if the nitro is cured and brittle. This body has very a very thin coating and was left in a very warm ventilated room for a week, the nitro went off surprisingly quickly...

in other news, THE CORRECT PICKGUARD arrived today!... really pleased with it...

ladies and gents meet Arthur...

why Arthur? Well until I get the neck I have Arthur guitar

Mr basses has promised me a lovely rosewood neck when he’s back. And I’m sending lots of positive thinking his way!.
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I like the relic look, and you've done a great job so far, but the grubby knobs are not for me. Actually makes me a bit queasy.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sesh said:
    I like the relic look, and you've done a great job so far, but the grubby knobs are not for me. Actually makes me a bit queasy.
    its only furniture wax

That scratchplate is a much better colour, if it were me I,d give it a quick rub all over with 1k just to take the newness off.....a bit like this that I did a while back....

http://i.imgur.com/OJCORPF.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    That scratchplate is a much better colour, if it were me I,d give it a quick rub all over with 1k just to take the newness off.....a bit like this that I did a while back....

http://i.imgur.com/OJCORPF.jpg

I like that!!!!

Mines been knocked down a bit. A few sweaty gigs will take the shine off!!!!
    I did a bit of wear aroung the pot shafts woth the knobs removed to simulate wear  and also abit aroind the swich too, think about hand movement and do the same with the wet n dry. I was mazed how much effort it took to remove the anodising....

poopot said: lo
    Sesh said:
    its only furniture wax

I assumed it was clean muck, but then again... your username.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sesh said:
    poopot said: lo
    Sesh said:
    its only furniture wax

I assumed it was clean muck, but then again... your username. 
    You should see the knobs on my main gigging guitar!!!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I've seen enough of your knobs.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    @poopot  ;This should be winging its way to you very shortly. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said:
    @poopot  ;This should be winging its way to you very shortly. 

Oh... my... f&@king... god!...

That looks spectacular!....

now to decide what colour to paint it! ;)
    I’ve just let out a bit of wee!....

something very beautiful has just arrived at the towers.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TOpL2

Thank you to @GSPBASSES you sir are a genius!!!!

c’mon, could it be any sexier?
    edited January 2018
    Very nice! That neck is sublime and so suits the whole thing....