Recommendation for an electric guitar hanger? Hercules GSP3WB sucks!

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
I just bought a Hercules GSP3WB hanger and wish I hadn't bothered. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-GSP38WB-Mountable-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B0009K9MUA/

I wouldn't trust the screws that come with it, nor the mechanism, and the deal breaker is that a guitar sticks out a mile from the wall, even an acoustic. It just looks silly. What I want is:
  • No wood bracket
  • No moving parts
  • Strong
  • Doesn't stick out a mile from the wall
  • Takes electric guitar
Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14031
    tFB Trader
    agree with you about the screws and best to use what is required subject to what you are mounting it on - wood, plasterboard, brick etc etc

I'll only use Hercules in the shop as they don't mark the guitar/necks - many others do - I know you had that problem with your black duster, so be aware of other brands marking around a contact point - especially on soft nitro finishes - As it happens I've had no issues in 15 years with the mechanism etc, or not be strong to take what ever I put on them - But of course if they aren't suitable for you then look elsewhere - sorry I can't offer any other option
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    @guitars4you Thanks for feedback, good to know the mechanism is OK over time. I won't be putting a nitro guitar on it, so I think the thing that annoys me most is how far out the guitar is from the wall.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Philtre said:
    @guitars4you Thanks for feedback, good to know the mechanism is OK over time. I won't be putting a nitro guitar on it, so I think the thing that annoys me most is how far out the guitar is from the wall.

If it doesn't need to be nitro safe, just buy a cheap low profile one, I think I bought a box of 4 or 5 of them for about £20. Here's a pair of them https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Tiger-Guitar-Optional-Securing/dp/B00BBA857S
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I've got 5 of those hangers and although when I first put them up, I didn't like how far out they stuck, I don't even notice now.  

I'm with you on the screws they come with though.  I used 75mm screws for mine so hopefully they ain't going nowhere! 
    edited January 2018
    I'm gonna sell it. I better make a proper sale thread for this, actually....
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've had basses hanging on them for over a year with the stock screws and they've remained solid.

The advantages of them being spaced from the wall (as covered in a recent thread about them) are that if you knock the guitar by accident, it will be unlikely to clatter against the wall and it is easier to grab.

It's like when people put the toilet roll in the holder the wrong way - it might be neater against the wall but it's not as easy to grab :P 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    edited January 2018
    I like the mechanism of the Hercules ones as they properly hold the guitar.
    But the ones that I've got at home are these "No Bull" ones which keep the guitar quite close to the wall. You need to provide your own screws though, and preferably need to find black screws to match the hanger. I don't have any nitro guitars so don't know about that side of things.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FQPITO8/

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I like the Hercules personally.
    ennspek said:
    I really like them.

I don't think the thread title is reasonable at all; there's nothing wrong with the product, it's just that the op doesn't like that the guitar isn't held closer to the wall. The part about not trusting the screws or mechanism is just a blind guess that doesn't seem to match with the experience of users who have had them a while.

So people researching these will find a "these suck!" thread title, yet it's not based on anything other than disliking a design feature.
    edited January 2018
    thegummy said:
    ennspek said:
    I really like them.

I don't think the thread title is reasonable at all; there's nothing wrong with the product, it's just that the op doesn't like that the guitar isn't held closer to the wall. The part about not trusting the screws or mechanism is just a blind guess that doesn't seem to match with the experience of users who have had them a while.

So people researching these will find a "these suck!" thread title, yet it's not based on anything other than disliking a design feature.
    I strongly dislike the design feature, it looks silly. And I just tested the strength by pulling down on it - the top screw came out. You're right, it doesn't suck - it really sucks.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    These are the screws I used.  They haven't budged so far.
    http://www.diy.com/departments/fischer-nylon-multipurpose-plug-pack-of-10/1639008_BQ.prd

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I use them. 

Here's a salutary lesson for you - a friend of mine fitted brackets that were closer to the wall. He had a wheelie chair in his room and was a bit too enthusiastic with his wheeling back one time - clipped the guitar which in turn clattered into the wall. As the chair applied more pressure it snapped the headstock. He was quite annoyed.

I am a clumsy oaf and I like the fact they stick out and thus don't bash into the wall at all if I knock them.

The mechanism is absolutely rock solid.

And no matter what I buy I don't use stock provided screws - I use a plug and screw appropriate to the wall type - the instructions even says this 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    What wall are you fixing these too and what plugs did you use?  Got mine on a brick wall with decent plus and I could happily swing on them
    Sure, I could use better screws and rawlplugs, but the fact is I hate the way it sticks out, I hate the locking mechanism and I've ordered something else with 4 screws. Thanks for the feedback, guys, I guess we all have different needs and opinions. B)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Screw mountings are a strange thing 
    We underestimate the shear force required to break a screw , but are more likely to come unstuck drilling into walls and plaster that end up being the consistency of cream cheese instead of solid brick. Getting a good drill/rawl plug /screw size match is the secret

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I've hung guitars that weigh the same as a small man on a Hercules hanger with no issue what so ever. As stated a lot above you just use some turbo golds and some good plugs. Simples
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    15 years using Hercules here... no issues with nitro marking, mechanism failure etc. In fact the mechanism is brilliant in that it is nigh on impossible to knock a guitar off - useful when cleaning, or with small children or being drunk etc. As for sticking out too far... hmmm, never bothered me. Each to their own etc.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    I used 80mm screws and heavy duty plus to fit mine to a solid brick wall. They're going nowhere. I suspect that, like most things supplied with screws, they assume that you're going to use whatever is appropriate for the surface you're fixing to and just supply cheap ones. I knew I binned them straight away. 

I like the distance off the wall, it stops the bottom of the guitar clattering against the wall. 

There is nothing wrong with the product, you just don't like the design. That's fine, but it works as designed. 

By the way, if the screw came out when you pulled on it, you either drilled the hole too big, or fitted it to a wall that wasn't the right wall for that plug / screw combination. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    you just don't like the design.

Yes, I think we got that. As I've made very clear. More than once. =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:
    thegummy said:
    ennspek said:
    I really like them.

I strongly dislike the design feature, it looks silly. And I just tested the strength by pulling down on it - the top screw came out. You're right, it doesn't suck - it really sucks.
    Possibly when you re-attached it to the wall solely to "test" it, you didn't put it in properly.

Especially when many others have used them for years with no problem what so ever.

There's the world of difference between something "sucking" and you just personally preferring it to look neater than to be protected from being bashed against the wall.