Taylor are up to something.....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4126
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• By the sounds of it, shimmery reverb built into an acoustic...
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    A pickup system that doesn't sound shit or break?

Acoustic guitars with individual character?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    By the sounds of it, shimmery reverb built into an acoustic...
    Yuk. Gross 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    They're gonna rip Off the yamaha transacoustic I have no doubt, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Carbon fibre guitars

or perhaps wooden ones that sound like what they cost 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    praise be ta gad
    eh - tell us they've perfected a technique by which they can 'dial in' the age of  (top wood) for that AUTHENTIC  vintage tone   - right ?.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    FFS. In the musical instruments world the more a product launch is heralded in advance as the great revolution we've all been waiting for, the less that ends up being true.

Wasn't the Marshall Code and the Blackstar Iforgotwhatitwasevencalled also the kind of things that were teased in the same way?

The guitar backing track to the video seem a bit tingy and thin - so maybe just more of the same? ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    So it turns out it’s a new bracing pattern on a new high end range...

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/v-class-bracing/story
  • Umm, apparently "an ocean of unchecked energy could move freely around an unmovable jetty". So, I'd say what Taylor are up to is cornering the market in pretentious BS.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
     yep I'm a bit of a Taylor fanboy and was utterly underwhelmed .
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited January 2018
    so they're introducing a new model(s) - fantastic.
    Looks like they've gone down the Trevor Gore Falcate bracing system at least in part  - this would be a lot of work / time to produce with it's carbon-fiber lamination's etc.

more here -
    http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_innovation_summary_falcate_bracing.html

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    In the demo I listened to, the V braced model sounded very similar to PRS’s acoustics (which use fan bracing similar to a classical guitar, rather than X bracing). They sound very harmonically complex - but so different from the traditional sound we expect from a flat top acoustic, I wonder how popular they’ll be?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Frankly, they can get bent just on the basis of using a weird video player that won't load on my office wifi...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited January 2018
    The "introducing" promo video for v class reminds me of what menopause tv advert might sound like in america  
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    This bracing pattern may well work for some tops but the problem with this identikit approach to all tops is that not all tops resonate the same way. Small build luthiers will tap tune every top and even if they use the same bracing pattern, the thickness/ thinness of the braces will be different for every guitar they ever make.

Add to that the fact some big brands churn out 500 guitars a day and yet they still charge a few grand/handmade prices for many of these production line models and it makes a truly handmade instrument look great value.

Having said all that, I have played great Taylors and bought my son a really nice GS Mini a few months back.

www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
  • TAMCO said:
    This bracing pattern may well work for some tops but the problem with this identikit approach to all tops is that not all tops resonate the same way. Small build luthiers will tap tune every top and even if they use the same bracing pattern, the thickness/ thinness of the braces will be different for every guitar they ever make.
    I imagine for a company like Taylor with their immense stock of soundboards would allow them to select the 'best' ones that would be most alike to for the same bracing pattern for their very high end models, which even though are production models I can't imagine they make a huge number of in comparison to their lower spec'd models. 

The 3xx series have always been my favourite of the Taylors, I'd like to see Andy Power redesign that particular series like with the 6xx etc ones.

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited February 2018
    I seriously recommend that any sceptics play one. There’s a special supplement devoted to the whole story that’s free with the next issue of the mag (out Friday) but in the meantime you can find our review and video here: http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/acoustic-guitars/taylor-koa-series-builders-edition-k14ce/

The projection and sustain are a big deal, no doubt, but having spent several weeks with the guitar it’s the tuning benefits that are seriously game-changing if you are used to traditional style X-braced acoustics.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    chrisv said:
    I seriously recommend that any sceptics play one. There’s a special supplement devoted to the whole story that’s free with the next issue of the mag (out Friday) but in the meantime you can find our review and video here: http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/acoustic-guitars/taylor-koa-series-builders-edition-k14ce/

The projection and sustain are a big deal, no doubt, but having spent several weeks with the guitar it’s the tuning benefits that are seriously game-changing if you are used to traditional style X-braced acoustics.

Read the supplement.  Will have a look at the video later.  Liked your playing on the American Originals videos.

Can't see Taylor producing it with the lovely V neck profile of my Martin though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    I may build my next acoustic with a V brace .. =)