Gibson SG revelation

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i, what a great guitar, really resonant, snappy in a way a LP isnt. 
i want one 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i, what a great guitar, really resonant, snappy in a way a LP isnt. 
    i want one 
    my favourite guitar shape bar none.you have been missing out indeed. look for a 61 reissue
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Yep I definitely want to get another SG at some point I had an SG special which was really nice.

slightly unusual to play the first time you have a go as it's all neck. 

what I do like about SG's they are pretty affordable for a Gibson guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    I played nothing but Fenders for a full 19 years before I tried an SG (my first ever Gibson, even) and bought it immediately. Was a pretty unique mix of elation and embarrassment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i..
    Yes, yes you have. Enjoy! And there's a far superior association to the SG than Anus Young - Frank Zappa.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

i want one 
    I believe I offered you one just a few short months ago. 

Definitely your fault now!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    One of us! One of us! 

The Les Paul is popular for good reason, but SGs are fantastic and seriously underrated guitars. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Philtre said:

Yes, yes you have. Enjoy! And there's a far superior association to the SG than Anus Young - Frank Zappa.
    Anus Young? Careful of operation Yew Tree 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:

Anus Young? Careful of operation Yew Tree 
    Oops, a typo....

...maybe. B)
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Look out for a keeper and it'll become your no. 1 go to guitar.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Number One guitar for neck diving. If Gibson sorted that problem, it would be a great guitar. They didn't. I know. I had one.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    andyoz said:
    Look out for a keeper and it'll become your no. 1 go to guitar.
    @mikeyrob73 ;; doesn't know what you mean by "Keeper". You may have to explain it to him. Guitars are more like hot potatoes to him

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926

i want one 
    I love 'em - With P90s they're even better, but you still need one with Humbuckers too

Again, like you I didn't like the Angus Young association, but they're more versatile than you would expect
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

i want one 
    I’d love one with P90’s especially.

i want one 
    Look for a 50s tribute one. They're wonderful- chunky neck & P90s. 

I love SGs, all my favourite players Angus, Townsend, Iommi, Clapton etc played em. 
    I've had several, but haven't found "the one". I find that they inevitably feel like the whole guitar is a few inches to the left of where I want it to be. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748

i want one 
    Look for a 50s tribute one. They're wonderful- chunky neck & P90s. 

I love SGs, all my favourite players Angus, Townsend, Iommi, Clapton etc played em. 
    I've had several, but haven't found "the one". I find that they inevitably feel like the whole guitar is a few inches to the left of where I want it to be. 
    You're holding it wrong. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Rocker said:
    Number One guitar for neck diving. If Gibson sorted that problem, it would be a great guitar. They didn't. I know. I had one.
    I wondered how long it would take before this bollocks came up.

USE A WIDER STRAP!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That's what she said
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    Rocker said:
    I wondered how long it would take before this bollocks came up.

USE A WIDER STRAP!

Indeed.

Or just use any strap that's not slippery. Oh, and usually one holds a guitar with two hands, you know, like a guitar player...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Coolest looking things on planet earth. Fact.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    SGs are great!  Just sent a Junior back sadly as I didn’t like the neck profile