Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your local independent..

What's Hot

Comments

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Snapshot I took of Macari's on Charring Cross Road one night in 2015.
    My window shopping.
    Macaris 2015 Charing Cross Road by treborillusion
    This guitar/Travis Bean, same shop, a little later caught my attention, so much so, I took this snapshot of it, day in, day out, I'd visit it.
    Macaris 2015 Charing Cross Road by treborillusion
    Sold for £8, 000.00 - Belonged to the guy 'forget his name' from The Clash.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im based in Bristol and we have some decent places here, I always take a trip to Electric Ladyland to see Steve and check out what he's got. Great guy and it's a shop which is worth checking out purely to see what unusual things you might find. He's not online so a visit is the only way to check. 
    If Im after something high end i'd head over to World Guitars. Paid my first visit there they other day and was impressed by their relaxed atmosphere and genuine passion. If you're after a conventional vintage place then Vintage & Rare in Bath seems an option. Its rather pricey but the guys seem friendly and they always have a really nice array of stuff. 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Whitecat said:
    Anderton's is closest to me but Guitar Village is just a little further away and far nicer to visit/spend some time in.
    Been to Andertons many times but nver GV.  Will have to pay a visit.  Farnham is a nice little town too right?

Not what I was expecting! looks v.cool
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Im based in Bristol and we have some decent places here, I always take a trip to Electric Ladyland to see Steve and check out what he's got. Great guy and it's a shop which is worth checking out purely to see what unusual things you might find. He's not online so a visit is the only way to check. 
    If Im after something high end i'd head over to World Guitars. Paid my first visit there they other day and was impressed by their relaxed atmosphere and genuine passion. If you're after a conventional vintage place then Vintage & Rare in Bath seems an option. Its rather pricey but the guys seem friendly and they always have a really nice array of stuff. 
    First of all, wow at World Guitars, am tempted to splurge on a PRS from here, but... https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/prs-guitars-custom-24-quilt-limited-charcoal-cherry-burst-242687/ but that would be stupid, like 100% of my budget on a guitar I'd want to mess with electronics wise.
    Vintage & Rare of Bath used to have another location here in London on Denmark Street and it is they who sold me my first Gibson Les Paul in 2011... Then later, same shop, different name, different owner (same everything else) sold me my second Gibson Les Paul in 2017.
    TBH, I knew Vintage & Rare had a Bath store, but, when they left London, I just assumed they ceased to be.
    But £795.00... It's a little more than what I wanted to spend, but at least it's the right guitar...
    https://vintageandrareguitars.com/product/1930s-stella-parlour/
    This though, makes me want to come out to Bath to see it, play on it in person.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    My local is Peach Guitars (Colchester). Fantastic staff, range, environment etc. John and the team are happy to help with anything from "which acoustic body size is right for me" to "what will happen if I change to 13s from 12s on my Taylor"...... Last three guitars have come from there. Only problem is that it is not good when GAS strikes knowing that they are only a few miles away........
  • RamJam in Aberdeen. Tiny second hand store but maybe 50-75 interesting guitars in stock, really friendly guys, happy to chat all day!

Can't believe I was up seeing family and friends over Xmas and didn't know/find out about this place! Definitely popping in next time I'm up gettin' ma buttery fix, ken...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Exeter is half an hour from me and we have Project Music and Manson's both within a 2 minute walk of Mary Arches car park.  Good atmosphere, nice gear and obliging staff in both.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Been to Guitar Village quite a few times and I have to say I've never found them to be unfriendly or library-like. I realise that all experiences can be different but I've always found the staff there to be helpful when you want to know something and to leave you alone if you say you are fine. I love the building and the way it has lots of little nooks with cool guitars hidden away in them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Im based in Bristol and we have some decent places here, I always take a trip to Electric Ladyland to see Steve and check out what he's got. Great guy and it's a shop which is worth checking out purely to see what unusual things you might find. He's not online so a visit is the only way to check. 
    First of all, wow at World Guitars, am tempted to splurge on a PRS from here, but... https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/prs-guitars-custom-24-quilt-limited-charcoal-cherry-burst-242687/ but that would be stupid, like 100% of my budget on a guitar I'd want to mess with electronics wise.
    Vintage & Rare of Bath used to have another location here in London on Denmark Street and it is they who sold me my first Gibson Les Paul in 2011... Then later, same shop, different name, different owner (same everything else) sold me my second Gibson Les Paul in 2017.
    TBH, I knew Vintage & Rare had a Bath store, but, when they left London, I just assumed they ceased to be.
    But £795.00... It's a little more than what I wanted to spend, but at least it's the right guitar...
    https://vintageandrareguitars.com/product/1930s-stella-parlour/
    This though, makes me want to come out to Bath to see it, play on it in person.
    Wow that is a nice PRS, yeah they had some fantastic guitars there, I was rather taken by a 58 standard Historic LP. The guy I think Julian was fantastic, Let me play for ages with no pressure to buy - Really top guys and a fantastic store. 
    In regards to Vintage and rare i never knew they had a store in London! They have really ice stuff, It can be a bit pricey but the guys working there are very friendly and happy to let you play as long as you're respectful. That Stella Parlour looks like a steal. They also have a refin lp junior and a pretty clean sg junior. Think i may have to head over soon! Good luck with your next purchase. 

• Been to Guitar Village quite a few times and I have to say I've never found them to be unfriendly or library-like. I realise that all experiences can be different but I've always found the staff there to be helpful when you want to know something and to leave you alone if you say you are fine. I love the building and the way it has lots of little nooks with cool guitars hidden away in them.
    Think I will pay them a visit next month.  Do they usually have a good stock of seconhand stuff?
  • jrc2806 said:
    My local is Peach Guitars (Colchester). Fantastic staff, range, environment etc. John and the team are happy to help with anything from "which acoustic body size is right for me" to "what will happen if I change to 13s from 12s on my Taylor"...... Last three guitars have come from there. Only problem is that it is not good when GAS strikes knowing that they are only a few miles away........
    Wondered when Peach would get a mention. Never been but heard good things..
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Been to Guitar Village quite a few times and I have to say I've never found them to be unfriendly or library-like. I realise that all experiences can be different but I've always found the staff there to be helpful when you want to know something and to leave you alone if you say you are fine. I love the building and the way it has lots of little nooks with cool guitars hidden away in them.
    Think I will pay them a visit next month.  Do they usually have a good stock of seconhand stuff?
    They always have some secondhand stuff, yes. Best thing to check their website just before you go: they say it is a real time reflection of their current stock.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Unfortunately my local in Lisburn caters for school kids and starters. Nice people though. Cort, Tanglewood and a couple of used types are the staple guitar products. Plenty of purple violins and hand percussion though.

You have to go to Matchetts Belfast to get an independent that caters for the higher end market.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Up here in north London my local shop is Sound Garden in Barnet. I thought I'd not bought anything there but there's a little Laney combo in the corner of the room that would suggest I'm wrong.

I suppose that Wild Guitars in Highgate may be nearer, but I finjd their pricing to be a bit, er, optimistic.

Elctrohill in Palmers Green used to be worth a visit but since they moved I found their stock to be disappointing.
  • scrumhalf said:
    Up here in north London my local shop is Sound Garden in Barnet. I thought I'd not bought anything there but there's a little Laney combo in the corner of the room that would suggest I'm wrong.

I suppose that Wild Guitars in Highgate may be nearer, but I finjd their pricing to be a bit, er, optimistic.

Elctrohill in Palmers Green used to be worth a visit but since they moved I found their stock to be disappointing.
    How about Edgeware Music? Went there once, quite an interesting little shop!
  • RamJam in Aberdeen. Tiny second hand store but maybe 50-75 interesting guitars in stock, really friendly guys, happy to chat all day!

Can't believe I was up seeing family and friends over Xmas and didn't know/find out about this place! Definitely popping in next time I'm up gettin' ma buttery fix, ken...
    Fit like the day min?

Halfway down crown street. It’s Jamie from Bruce Millers then iiMusic that runs it. Cool place
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited January 2018
    Im based in Bristol and we have some decent places here, I always take a trip to Electric Ladyland to see Steve and check out what he's got. Great guy and it's a shop which is worth checking out purely to see what unusual things you might find. He's not online so a visit is the only way to check. 
    Heron in Bristol is always worth a look IMO - they tend to have some gems in there now and again. I picked up a 1981 Gordon Smith GS1 for £300 in there a couple of years ago...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Moominpapa said: 

I've always found the staff there to be helpful
    I don't think I've ever found the staff there!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2018
    kt66 said:

Did anyone here ever go to Greenwich guitars? 
    I used to live 5 mins from there. Brian's place (RIP), then Mark. 

Rather went off the last owner after he stitched up a friend by deciding not to sell a Fender amp they'd agreed a price on... after my friend had sold a beloved WEM to pay for it. Extremely poor form 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Charlie Chandler's guitar experience is my local. The stock is all second hand and typically interesting stuff. I've always found them to be very welcoming and helpful. They absolutely know their stuff. 

I don't feel the need to go further a field for any sort of maintenance/repair work. 

https://www.guitarexperience.co.uk