Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should there be revisions to Fretboard members entitlement to sell guitars, amps, pedals etc ?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Let them come. Let them sell. Hope the ones with something worth saying stick around and contribute.

That doesn't stop me from getting mildly annoyed at the rude ones who don't have the courtesy to find out what the rules about selling are before they post their ads. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I've been 'here' since the Guitarist forum days, then Music Radar, now FretBoard.

I've been playing 30 years and have been through *quite a bit* of gear (most bought and sold secondhand).

But I boil down to just 350 frets.

Can you really make any judgement solely based on that number, relative to anyone else?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd have thought that most people thinking about buying from someone would check that person's post count, trading feedback etc, and be less likely to buy from someone with no posting history. So to some extent the system addressed the problem already, or gives users the tools to address it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Babones said:
    I keep reading posts about people joining via the classifieds. I have never joined any forum via classifieds. I've always joined to participate, share and acquire knowledge. Classifieds are a bonus.
    I joined here via the classifieds.
    I moved here from MR for the classifieds
    I found MR via the classifieds. Later joined to post about gear but initially set the classifieds as a bookmark in my second hand gear folder in my browser in case any cool stuff showed up.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Babones said:
    I keep reading posts about people joining via the classifieds. I have never joined any forum via classifieds. I've always joined to participate, share and acquire knowledge. Classifieds are a bonus.
    I joined here via the classifieds.
    I moved here from MR for the classifieds
    I found MR via the classifieds. Later joined to post about gear but initially set the classifieds as a bookmark in my second hand gear folder in my browser in case any cool stuff showed up.
    Should point out that I came to buy, via a Google search for the item a wanted. I don't think I'd have found out about the forum otherwise, especially being in Switzerland.

It's an important draw for the site.
  • I found this forum via the classifieds not too long ago. Since joining I've bought some stuff but not sold anything. I lurk mostly, I guess like a lot of others, and i make the odd post it if feel I've something to add. I think there is a lot of interesting information here which has broadened my education. Sure you can impose the changes you suggest but I don't see how that can stop a determined crim from doing his stuff. If the classifieds section became usable only by elite members who post a lot it wouldn't put me off, but I would have missed out on that nice, well looked-after tele I bought on here soon after joining, if the proposed changes had applied then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Sure you can impose the changes you suggest but I don't see how that can stop a determined crim from doing his stuff. 
    This is, of course, the truth; such measures wouldn't stop the scammers, but they would impede genuine sellers who'll sign up and then just sod off because they still can't do what they were intending to.

That's not a win for anyone.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I think that commenting on items for sale is a way of collectively vetting items for sale.

Another approach to the minimum post count would be a minimum duration of membership.

Or just leave things as-is.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    I think it works fine at the moment.

However, there should be a new rule that any guitar sale thread that does not include an accurate and verified weight for the guitar, should be sunk without trace until the weight is added!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Another +1 for "the system is fine as it is", for the reasons cited above by @digitalscream.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    sgosden said:

Fret counts and post aren't a viable indication of reliability.

Regular content and lots of frets, don't detract from someone being a monumental nob to deal with, cough*Ro_S*cough .

This, exactly. Everyone has to start as a noob on a forum sometime, that doesn’t make them unreliable. I’ve bought from and sold things to two guys with very low fretcounts recently. Both transactions went perfectly. On the other hand I’ve done trades and sold things to regulars with massive fretcounts in the past who’ve been complete arseholes to deal with. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314

mort said:
    The only issue I have is with 0 post count sellers asking for payment by bank transfer or PPG only

If if it’s not a ‘face to face’ sale, I think new sellers should perhaps have to accept ‘normal’PayPal only?
    Or just use common sense. It’s the buyer’s choice to use PPG and chance it or pay the fees and get some protection. If any new seller objected to me using regular PP I’d walk away from the deal. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    edited January 2018

I'm another who joined MR to sell stuff, and ended up posting a bit. I then found this place once MR disappeared and posted a lot more regularly. Classifieds are a big draw, and although a lot don't, people who join initially to sell, do become regular posters.

All the stuff I've sold on here has been to members with very low fret counts and a relatively low number of posts as I'm left handed and there is a pretty small crowd to sell to. I think as has been said before, you get a feel quite quickly for those who are genuine and those who are pulling your plonker.

The last item I sold was the most valuable of all the gear I have got rid of (around 2k), and it was sold to a guy who only joined as he saw the add on a Google search. I'll admit I was dubious at first but after a few PMs and a telephone conversation was quite confident he was alright.

Even if the rules are changed, people will find a way around them. It's how humans work, for better or for worse.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to