NGD - 80's Tele

What's Hot
VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
edited October 2017 in Guitar
Just picked this up from a tiny shop in Aberystwyth whilst on a trip for an old band reunion. Don't usually like Fenders (I did have a 'normal' Tele for a bit, but it wasn't my thing so I sold it), but I do really like the Tele shape, and in particular souped-up Teles with terms and humbuckers  (Like the Kramer Tele thing Mick Mars used when Crue played their big gig in Moscow). Never seen one of these before - it's a Contemporary Tele made sometime between 1984-87 in Japan, and it plays great:

https://i.imgur.com/N4WXKKl

https://imgur.com/HUD1UKW

https://imgur.com/ZM9hHd1

(Edit - I can't seem to get these to embed as per the instructions!)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Unusual. But those mid-80s MIJ Guitars... nomzzzzzzz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    @HarrySeven is a big fan of those Fender MIJ System 1 series guitars. 
    Be seeing you.
  • That's cool. I like it. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    I recall those when they came out - that period after Bill Schultz + Dan Smith + the new management team took over and closed the USA Fullerton Factory, so for a while everything was from Japan - Many models like yours had a 'modern contemporary' vibe as the 'hot rod' market + trem market was the rage during this era - some sold better than others but you don't see many of them around these days, for various reasons
  • Lovely.  My mate has recently bought the strat version.  He spent a while hunting one down.  He originally owned one back in the 80's.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Love those. I remember lusting after the HM Tele, think those were a bit later than these. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Wow! I didn't even know they made an HM Tele (and I'm old enough to remember the HM Strat coming out).
    I thoroughly approve :)
    and just for your pleasure and because you appreciate Mick Mars' here's my "contemporary" Tele. Made ostensibly because I needed something to put my favourite old Kramer neck on.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    very nice! Happy NGD!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I recall those when they came out - that period after Bill Schultz + Dan Smith + the new management team took over and closed the USA Fullerton Factory, so for a while everything was from Japan - Many models like yours had a 'modern contemporary' vibe as the 'hot rod' market + trem market was the rage during this era - some sold better than others but you don't see many of them around these days, for various reasons
    interesting; I'd never come across them before, it was slightly before I started playing and really getting into it. The same shop had a Japanese Richie Blackmore too, which I was tempted by because of the scalloping, but it didn't play as nicely as this thing. It's a proper old-school guitar shop with all sorts of interesting stuff in.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036

FX_Munkee said:
    Wow! I didn't even know they made an HM Tele (and I'm old enough to remember the HM Strat coming out).
    I thoroughly approve :)
    and just for your pleasure and because you appreciate Mick Mars' here's my "contemporary" Tele. Made ostensibly because I needed something to put my favourite old Kramer neck on.

you win, that's great. Mine definitely needs a pointy headstock to complete it, and I love the Kramer headstock and logo :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    justVibetronic said:
    interesting; I'd never come across them before, it was slightly before I started playing and really getting into it. The same shop had a Japanese Richie Blackmore too, which I was tempted by because of the scalloping, but it didn't play as nicely as this thing. It's a proper old-school guitar shop with all sorts of interesting stuff in.
     looking at other posting on here - that 80's era was locking trem and Fender followed the fashion then and they certainly did not create it - Washburn, Kramer, Hamer etc were a head of the game in those day and Fender struggled to find a direction - In the end they went back to what they did best - 50's and 60's format and never looked back
  • Frank Black used the 2 humbucker version one a lot in the Pixies and Frank Black and the Catholics in the 80's and 90's..