Head to Cab speaker cable - what kind???

ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
edited January 2018 in Amps
I'm assuming I need 2 Core mains cable, loads of it on eBay. But do I need 13, 6 or 3 AMP? Also read somewhere, probably on here that it should not be insulated that much. Is that correct?

The cable will be soldered to a jack and to the speaker terminals.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    6 amp with Neutrik NP2X or NP2C plugs is ideal for a head to cab speaker cable. Anything of the same gauge for internal cab wiring.

Insulation is irrelevant, the voltages are too low for it to matter and there is no sonic effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Thanks for that @ICBM ;
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
     Just found some 10 AMP. Would this be ok instead of 6 AMP?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Zoolooter said:
     Just found some 10 AMP. Would this be ok instead of 6 AMP?

It would be fine but might be tough to get into the jacks.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Anything with an outer diameter bigger than about 6A cable is hard to get into a Neutrik plug, and is unnecessary anyway since 1/4" jacks are only rated for 6A.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein