Do I want an auto-wah

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2558
I'd like a pedal that does a steady filter sweep, i.e. time based rather than pick attack based. Think of that wall of noise being swept through a wah-wah type effect, popular with some shoegaze bands. Am I after some sort of auto-wah or should I be checking other modulation type pedals? This as an effects category I have not considered previously.
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Perhaps check out the ehx Blurst

https://www.ehx.com/products/blurst

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The faux wah is a feature of some multi fx , there's one on the Keeley super  mod workstation for example. It's tap tempoable or you can have it as a more random filter. 
    I've never had one but the Sonuus Wahoo would give you various filter options as well as more standard wahs. 
    The Subdecay Proteus has a random filter mode which also has tap tempo.

I have a love-hate relationship with auto wah, I like the sound of them but as they are pick attack based when I get over excited on a gig they just start producing a range of burping noises. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The autowah on the Zoom Ms50 is really great
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    The Zoom multistomps might be a good shout here - useful for this and other occasional effects.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16001
    the mad professor one is by far the best........snow white it's called
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Dominic said:
    Does that have an option for a fixed sweep? I thought it was pick attack controlled only. The Blurst does have a controllable fixed sweep. I've not tried it but from the demos it sounds pretty good and does exactly what op is seeking.

I've  found those fixed sweep auto wah pedals to be quite noisy, as in the rise and fall of the sweep can be heard even when you are not playing.
  • Dominic said:

I prefer my boss. It's super cool sounding, bit synthy and cheesey. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Check out the EHX Small Stone. Maybe that'll tickle your fancy.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Mooer do a time-based auto wah.  Think it's called the funky monkey?
    Just checking out the funky monkey just now. If the rate can be set slow enough it could do the job, although pity it doesn't also do a sort've cocked way setting too.
  • With the Blow Monkeys/Dr Robert we use a Boss auto wah. Was a new one on me, total alien concept but set correctly, it’s perfect for funk. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    The Boss AW-2 has both envelope filter and auto-sweep functions - you can use them separately or together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2018
    The Zoom Multi-stomps are better than most with a choice of a couple of filter models and decent tweakability plus you can add other fx. 

Used at £50-60 they're great for what you want but add in that you'll also get a tuner, delays, reverb, shimmer effects, chorus, auto-swell, pitch stuff etc i.e. a whole bunch of other fx in a regular sized pedal housing, and it's a lot of pedal.
  • The zooms are awesome. I love mine 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1809
    I used to have a Snow White auto wah but sold it. However I'm thinking of buying one again as I still think it's the best sounding auto wah for me that is :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2018
    Said quite a few times on here but for me, the benchmark for auto-wah is the solo from Edie Brickell's "What I want". 

I know the late 70s era MXR Envelope Filter delivers that and Analogman have just made a copy of it with refinements that's great.

I agree, the MP Snow White should be a contender and is one of the better ones out there but do try the Zoom:)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got a Boss AW-3; I tried it but now it sits on a shelf.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    prowla said:
    I've got a Boss AW-3; I tried it but now it sits on a shelf.
    The AW-3 is a completely different thing from the AW-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CarewCarew Frets: 9
    having read the OP, the OP might be after a phaser?
    pedal fiend
    Might be the case - as I said, I have little experience with modulation effects. I'm after that white noise filter sweep reminiscent of a coffee machine milk frother - the sort of thing you might hear towards the end of a heavier Mogwai tune. I know I could do it with an actual wah pedal, however don't want a wah on my board.