Effect of parallel resistor value on treble bypass taper rates

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Would increasing the value of the resistor in parallel to the treble bypass cap give a more aggressive taper to the volume pot and will this increase or decrease the amount of treble in the tone at low volume settings?

I have a Strat with a 280k vol pot and a 680pF / 150k treble bypass on it - the balance of treble as I roll down the volume is just about perfect, but the taper is so slow that I need to roll the volume back to around 3 to get the clean up I get on about 6-7 with a 50s wiring setup.

I'm about to put a treble bypass on a Tele using the same 280k pot and I'm deciding what to try first from 470pF / 220k - 680pF / 150k or a mixture in this range?

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    In my experience the resistor really messes up the taper, I just use a 330pf cap on its own on Strats. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Is it a linear taper pot you're using? If so, try using a log/audio taper with the same treble bypass values. I have 120K/1000pF on my strats, with 300K audio taper volume pots - yes the parallel resistor doe alter the taper, but with audio taper it works out about right for my taste. Would be way too slow to turn down with a linear taper pot though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    SunDevil said:
    Would increasing the value of the resistor in parallel to the treble bypass cap give a more aggressive taper to the volume pot and will this increase or decrease the amount of treble in the tone at low volume settings?

I have a Strat with a 280k vol pot and a 680pF / 150k treble bypass on it - the balance of treble as I roll down the volume is just about perfect, but the taper is so slow that I need to roll the volume back to around 3 to get the clean up I get on about 6-7 with a 50s wiring setup.

I'm about to put a treble bypass on a Tele using the same 280k pot and I'm deciding what to try first from 470pF / 220k - 680pF / 150k or a mixture in this range?
    I find 680pF/220K as close to the 'perfect' values as I've yet found, bearing in mind that it does also vary depending on pickup, pot value and cable length/quality.

Increasing the resistor value will give a steeper taper to the pot - closer to the unmodified taper - and more treble (relatively - because the treble is the same but the rest is quieter) at the same knob setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cool - thanks gents - much appreciated!
    680pF with 220k was just the ticket - Strat with 280k vol pot and Al IV 7k ish pups now cleaning up with the volume on 5-6 rather than 3
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    edited January 2018
    If that doesn't win the award for Sexiest Blog Title of the Year for 2018 then I'll eat my hat
    How very rock and roll
    @benmurray85 - there are awards for blog titles? Guess I’m not cool enough to hang out in those kind of circles, but maybe you can get me an invite? ;-)

Helpful for folks down the line searching for the same answers to have a clear post title though, don’t you think?
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    This thread has the same title as my college thesis.