Tim Smith Crowdfunding Appeal

What's Hot
Putting the call out to anyone who might want to help:

After a combination stroke and heart attack ten years ago after a My Bloody Valentine gig (remember, kids, MBV is dangerous), Tim Smith, founder and leader of the band Cardiacs, has been severely disabled - in his own words "imagine if you were wearing a skintight bodysuit made of fishnet all around you with electrical pulses going all the...time. This is what my body feels like unless I fall asleep". 

Vital rehabilitation has been fleeting and because of cuts less and less available. So Tim and his carers have decided to be more open about the extent of his difficulties and opened a Just Giving appeal to finance his treatment.  So far it's raised just over £75,000 of a £100,000 target, but I thought I should get the word out as far as I could.

Obviously, 
Cardiacs is something of an acquired taste, especially as they spent a lot of time trying to annoy people. But the electric skinsuit isn't something I'd wish on anyone and those of us who like them like them very much indeed, and Tim's illness has been an ongoing sadness for us. 

Rhodri Marsden explains more eloquently than I here.

And the appeal page is here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yes - a very important campaign.

Weirdly enough, I had my Cardiacs epiphany about five days ago, just before I started hearing about all this stuff. I'd known about them for ages and knew/really liked a few tracks of theirs, but then I heard the Sing To God album and it all suddenly fell into place. I only discovered it, as I say, a few days ago, but I am certain it's up there with the best albums I've ever heard.

Any man who could make such a majestic work of art deserves all the help and support he can get. I went straight to their online merch store and bought some CDs, and I will see what I can donate to the Justgiving appeal too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the heads up on the crowd funding. Donation sent...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bump.

Target met!! :)

Still open! :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Donated
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom