Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosden said: That being said, there must be a finite amount of space for algorithms within the unit?
    We're far from hitting the wall, although much of 2017 was spent ensuring we can extend that wall much farther. The Helix platform is still young.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    sgosden said: That being said, there must be a finite amount of space for algorithms within the unit?
    We're far from hitting the wall, although much of 2017 was spent ensuring we can extend that wall much farther. The Helix platform is still young.
    This is all exciting stuff.  I'm interested to see what else is coming on the Helix platform, a Line 6 answer to the amplifire box is what I want :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I would love to see the helix road map! 
  • I would love to see the helix road map! 
    I think I seen your thread on TGP about your monitor sound turning to crap. I completely agree with you. There’s something about traditional monitors that (I think) cymbals just drown out and your only left hearing the harsh fizz at the top end and some flub at the bottom. Even if it sounded great until the band started playing. Adding mids just makes it worse
    I think I seen your thread on TGP about your monitor sound turning to crap. I completely agree with you. There’s something about traditional monitors that (I think) cymbals just drown out and your only left hearing the harsh fizz at the top end and some flub at the bottom. Even if it sounded great until the band started playing. Adding mids just makes it worse
    Gotta say...not my experience at all. Using the TS210, I heard myself more clearly than I ever have before at a gig!
    <space for hire>
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yeah I don’t get that either unless I’m tryinf to use the monitor as backline
    (ie ramping it right up)
    The monitor mix needs different Eq than the FOH
    I do sometimes have problems where their is only one Eq but then I just take another output and send it to another channel for the monitor mix
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I would love to see the helix road map! 
    Nope not me.
    Nope not me.
    I always thought that user was you! My mistake
  • Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)
    I do sometimes have problems where their is only one Eq but then I just take another output and send it to another channel for the monitor mix
    Do you have any tips? Because I always find it disappears with a drummer. The same with say using a Spyder in a full band behaves the same for me... then again my hearing isn’t what it used to be
    Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)
    Do you have any tips? Because I always find it disappears with a drummer. The same with say using a Spyder in a full band behaves the same for me... then again my hearing isn’t what it used to be
    That’s almost always a mid range problem
    the cymbals wash over the high frequencies the bass drum and bass take all your low end and if your tone is mid scooped but the time you get the volume to a point you can hear it the bass and treble frequencies are through the roof
    The speaker is working over time trying to deal with the low end despite the fact that no one can hear it over the bass and it starts to struggle to recreate the mid range

cut off everything below 80hz you don’t need it
    and over 6hz if you are using it for backline

Use more mid heavy amps like the epic 
    Then get your volume to the point where it is just too loud and back off your playing and volume
    put +6db on en exp pedal (however you fancy although I use three output block to save dsp)
    and ride it when you have bits that need to be heard 
  • Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)
    the cymbals wash over the high frequencies the bass drum and bass take all your low end and if your tone is mid scooped but the time you get the volume to a point you can hear it the bass and treble frequencies are through the roof
    The speaker is working over time trying to deal with the low end despite the fact that no one can hear it over the bass and it starts to struggle to recreate the mid range

Yeah that’s what I thought, unfortunately I already play with a mid-heavy tone and do similar cuts. 

Anytime me I try it I end up getting burned and don’t go back again unless it’s totally necessary.

wait, I remember actually playing one gig through a Fly Rig straight into a wedge that actually sounded great. Hmmm. Must be user fault, more trial and error needed I guess
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)

Yeah that’s what I thought, unfortunately I already play with a mid-heavy tone and do similar cuts. 

Anytime me I try it I end up getting burned and don’t go back again unless it’s totally necessary.

wait, I remember actually playing one gig through a Fly Rig straight into a wedge that actually sounded great. Hmmm. Must be user fault, more trial and error needed I guess
    Are you getting the same monitor Eq as FOH?
  • Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)

With the Fly Rig I was going into the monitor and taking a thru from the monitor to the desk.

The last time I used Helix (three gigs) without an amp on stage it was coming back to the monitor from the desk per the sound guy. Didn’t matter what we done it just disappeared. And I mean it was DREADFUL. Was some semi-expensive D&B job as well

I usually run to FOH and use a proper guitar cab for monitoring. Seems to be the fail safe way to do things.
  • In fact, as of the last few gigs I’ve went back to everything in front of the clean channel on my amp with my own drive pedals on the board along side Helix and another feed with the Soldano clean amp going to FOH. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I have my own wedge for onstage (HK Audio L5 112XA). It has two inputs, so Helix goes in one giving me control of my onstageI level, and take a feed from the PA into the other giving me my regular monitor mix. It sounds really good to me! 
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    (ie ramping it right up)

With the Fly Rig I was going into the monitor and taking a thru from the monitor to the desk.

The last time I used Helix (three gigs) without an amp on stage it was coming back to the monitor from the desk per the sound guy. Didn’t matter what we done it just disappeared. And I mean it was DREADFUL. Was some semi-expensive D&B job as well

I usually run to FOH and use a proper guitar cab for monitoring. Seems to be the fail safe way to do things.
    I sometimes have the problem that the monitors don’t have a seperate Eq. So without knowing it you have declared war on the sound guy
    he is trying to Eq it for out front and you are trying to Eq it for the wedge. Everyone loses
    if that happens then take another line out to the desk and have him pull the fader down but just Eq it for the monitor mix

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    I'm considering trying out a Helix just to see what I'm missing out on.

Now I haven't read through all 195 pages on here so apologies if this has been discussed, but I would ideally plan to use it straight into the PA and then monitor using in-ears, so no real amp, no real cab, no wedges etc.  Anybody use it like this and how does it work? (Good, Bad & Ugly please!)
    I'm considering trying out a Helix just to see what I'm missing out on.

Now I haven't read through all 195 pages on here so apologies if this has been discussed, but I would ideally plan to use it straight into the PA and then monitor using in-ears, so no real amp, no real cab, no wedges etc.  Anybody use it like this and how does it work? (Good, Bad & Ugly please!)
    I stopped using inears a couple of years ago
    Nothing to do with the Helix I just wasn’t enjoying playing like that anymore and the constant hassle with sound engineers when we weren’t using our own PA and the extra setup hassle when we were.. It’s not for me on the amateur circuit.
    Having said all that, I also stopped taking an amp to gigs a year ago too. 
    I now just use the Helix on its own. The upsides are portable, you can hear yourself better as you can have a lot of guitar through the wedge without killing everyone on stage.
    everyone else can hear you better as they can choose how much guitar they want (rather than relying on loudness and proximity of your amp)
    Out front it sounds stellar unless the engineer is a fool (in which case you are fucked anyway)
    Downsides
    You are at the mercy of the quality of the monitors
    I use L2s in our own PA and they sound great but some of the wedges I’m given are less than that (some are better)
    As mentioned above, if the mixing desk doesn’t have seperate EQ for the monitor signal you can get a monitor feed that is EQd for the big speakers which rarely sounds good in monitors (work around above)
    But you can go full stereo and even wet dry wet with only a backpack worth of gear.
    the routing and automation options are superb (so multiple fx on and off with a single footswtich)
    any option on any amp or Fx is expression pedal or footswitchable
    The upsides far far outweigh the down
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    Despite my earlier criticisms from a quick play on a Helix rack through headphones, I've been looking at trying an LT again. Looks like my band is nearing it's end due to lack of progress and commitment etc so I'm looking into something I can play quietly at home ideally through monitors or headphones - seem to recall people saying it doesn't sound as good through phones though, or does it just need tweaking differently?

I must say I like what I've heard tone-wise from the AX8 more, but the price of the LT is too good and gets too much praise to be ignored.