how reliable are the Marshall dsl, tsl, jvm etc amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    randella said:
    I've got a mid-90's JCM900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb 1x12, bought when it was nearly 10 years old. I love it, it's been gigged and hasn't let me down.

Only bad thing is the footswitch cable works intermittedtly, but it must've been up/down stairs at home, in/out the car and to a gig or rehearsal at least 100 times.  Also had the valves replaced and a couple of noisy pots when serviced by Marshall (twice) in the 15 years I've had it.  Not because it wasn't working... more a safety net before a run of gigs.
    I have the Hi Gain Master Volume version which is, as far as I can tell, indestructible. It just feels brick-solid. 

Far too loud though. 
    I've got a 2502 mk iii which has been great but the effects loop sockets have given me some problems. Something to do with it having a parallel loop.

As always a modern Marshall's reputation improves as they bring out new stuff... using this logic the DSL50 will be a total classic in 10 years.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    As always a modern Marshall's reputation improves as they bring out new stuff... using this logic the DSL50 will be a total classic in 10 years.
    No, I think we've gone past the low point now. The JVMs and even the new Vietnamese DSLs are better than the old DSL/TSLs.

The old DSLs/TSLs are the low point. (Actually the Mode Four is, but they're not valve amps.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    ICBM said:8
    No, I think we've gone past the low point now. The JVMs and even the new Vietnamese DSLs are better than the old DSL/TSLs.

The old DSLs/TSLs are the low point. (Actually the Mode Four is, but they're not valve amps.)
    Just my lame attempt at a joke.. apologies. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

mudslide73 said:

Just my lame attempt at a joke.. apologies. 
    It was true though :).

The JCM900s were thought to be junk, after the JCM800s and Jubilees... then the DSLs came along and it was amazing how well-made and reliable the 900s were. ;)

I’m not even sure the DSLs are the low point, to be honest. It might be the JTM60/JCM600s... or the MG-DFXs... or the Class 5... or the Haze... or the MA series... there’s just so much shit it’s hard to tell what’s actually worse!

Thankfully they now seem to have canned all the crap. The current range is much smaller and better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    A simple rule of thumb rather than getting bogged down in model numbers/years;

If it has four holes in the front it'll sound awesome and last forever,

If it has less than four holes in the front it'll set fire to itself and you'll be relieved because it sounded like a fizzy mess anyway. 

There are nuances between these two extremes obviously, but why take the risk? 
    p90fool said:

If it has four holes in the front it'll sound awesome and last forever
    Four holes *in a square*. This is important - JTM30s have four jacks too, and they’re in the setting-fire-to-themselves category ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

If it has four holes in the front it'll sound awesome and last forever
    Four holes *in a square*. This is important - JTM30s have four jacks too, and they’re in the setting-fire-to-themselves category .

But amps setting on fire, together with exploding drummers, are essential elements of rock music
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    rico said:j
    Voxman said:
    I have a DSl401c and never had a problem with it. It’s awesome. 
    I'm curious, what's a dsl401c and how does it differ to the dsl401?
    DSL40C is the successor to the DSL401. 
    I realise that ... @kurtrowe2000 actually typed dsl401c not dsl40c and I wondered if it was a special variant of the dsl401...but clearly it was just a mistype.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Ha. Yep. The “c” was a typo. I also have the DL1C (with a real C). These are awesome amps. 

Some people repirted overheating problems with their DSL401. I’ve not experienced any issues with mine. I a/b tested it with a blackstar artisan and a DSL40C and my DSL401 (which was second hand) was better in tone for me. 
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I had my old TSL100H for donkeys years and did not experience a single problem with it.  I too read many horror stories about people being let down mid-gig, but not once did it let me down.  I presume therefore I am one of the lucky ones!
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2018
    Ha. Yep. The “c” was a typo. I also have the DL1C (with a real C). These are awesome amps. 

Some people repirted overheating problems with their DSL401. I’ve not experienced any issues with mine. I a/b tested it with a blackstar artisan and a DSL40C and my DSL401 (which was second hand) was better in tone for me. 
    I concur @kurtrowe2000 I tried a dsl40c extensively before buying my dsl401. It sounded too HiFi and didn't have that rawer Marshall crunch that I like. In addition, the 401 has independent eq on each channel and is footswitchable between clean, crunch od1and od2, and you can jump the fx loop for a bit more volume and balls. I upgraded the stock speaker to a Celestion classic lead 80 which is louder and with more definition esp on od2.

It's a 2003 401. When I bought it, it had the classic bridge rectifier problem that has been fixed (the seller was a very decent guy and reimbursed the £40 repair) and the nuisance low rating internal fuse has been upgraded. Since then it's run perfectly.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595

I can't comment from personal experience, having never owned a Marshall, but a friend of mine owns a JVM410h.

Sonically he says it's a fantastic amp and is probably the best amp he's ever played through.  However, he's says the build quality is poor, has always got some problem with it and it's let him down at gigs on a few occasions, the last time very recently.

Could just be a bad one but it hasn't instilled any confidence in the brand despite me desperately wanting one for some odd reason.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Voxman said:
    Ha. Yep. The “c” was a typo. I also have the DL1C (with a real C). These are awesome amps. 

I concur @kurtrowe2000 I tried a dsl40c extensively before buying my dsl401. It sounded too HiFi and didn't have that rawer Marshall crunch that I like. In addition, the 401 has independent eq on each channel and is footswitchable between clean, crunch od1and od2, and you can jump the fx loop for a bit more volume and balls. I upgraded the stock speaker to a Celestion classic lead 80 which is louder and with more definition esp on od2.

It's a 2003 401. When I bought it, it had the classic bridge rectifier problem that has been fixed (the seller was a very decent guy and reimbursed the £40 repair) and the nuisance low rating internal fuse has been upgraded. Since then it's run perfectly.  
    @Voxman I’m not sure what year my 401 is. I’ll have to check but no overheating problems here. 

Mine has had the stick speaker but it’s srill an awesome sounding amp. Much prefer it to the 40c. That said, the 1c is a cracking little thing too. I got it to replicate the 401 tone which it does perfectly. 

Aounds like you bouht yours from a decent chap.