Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD! Finally bought a Strat...

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I didn't really get strats, especially MIM ones, until I borrowed one off my mate and fell in love. He grabbed it back a few days ago, so...

It's a new MIM Classic 50's. I tried it against a 1989 USA Standard for about the same money, and although I much preferred the look of the USA guitar this MIM won hands down on sound. I'm going to have to change the pickguard for a 3 ply one at some point soon though, I really don't like the single ply at all. I'm thinking tortie maybe? I'll give the trem a go for a while too, but I'll probably end up decking it.

I'm getting used to it, but so far it's feeling and sounding even better than the one I borrowed. My new number 1 for sure, and it had better be seeing as it is by far the most expensive guitar I've ever bought. I'm still not a massive fan of the general strat look (much prefer Tele and LP), but from a sound and feel perspective I think I'm actually a strat player. Never would have called that until I had the chance to live with one for a few months.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HNGD, nice Strat. I think there are a lot of good MIM Strats, the problem I tend to find for me from a preference stand point is that the 7.25 Radius is mostly unavoidable as they have to make these period correct (I'm assuming yours is a 7.25 Radius if it's Classic 50's)

I find the 7.25 Radius a challenge, but that's just a personal thing.

It looks a beauty that does though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Yep, it's a 7.25" radius and the neck profile is what Fender call a soft v. Completely different to anything else I own. I'm loving it!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    A MIM Classic is all the Strat I think i'll ever need - I'm on my second. The pickups on these are very underrated, no need to upgrade them really. 
  • Please don't ruin it with a corned beef pickguard
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
    It blew the 89 USA out of the water for sound, the USA sounded really thin compared to this. I did think about resale value for about 5 seconds before I remembered that I don't ever sell anything guitar shaped :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Please don't ruin it with a corned beef pickguard
    Not your thing, eh? I haven't decided for sure yet, I should have a look on one of those mock-up sites really.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Real ones look more like chorizo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbio said:
    Not your thing, eh? I haven't decided for sure yet, I should have a look on one of those mock-up sites really.
    Mint Green Guard would be ideal for that if you are changing it. It really is subtle and marvellous with Pale Blues.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Awesome, HNGD :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Such a beauty.

Daphne blue Strat with that combo (white pickguard, maple fretboard) is one of my absolute favourite guitar looks.

If it wasn't for the radius, that may well have been the Strat I bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Listen to the man!
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Looks fab!  Single ply looks correct for a 50s. But if you do swap it out I may be interested in taking it off your hands!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Lovely.

My MIM Classic '60's has become my favourite guitar, brilliant value for money.  Quite fancy a '50's version too. 
  • Lovely! I never got Strats either, until I spent a month with an old 1990s Squier, and was surprised to find I loved it. I bought it for the pickups (the seller had dropped the whole pickguard from a Classic Player in there).

Now, I love the look and the sound. But the feel is the best. So much more comfy than a Tele. 

As as for the pickguard, mint green. 
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Looks great - I always dismissed MIM fenders in general until I spent some time with a Baja Tele. Has been my no 1. guitar ever since! I have certainly missed out by always lusting after the USA models.....
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    HNGD! I have the exact same guitar and love it, I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of it.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8773
    HNGD! Looks just the same as my strat. Soft V necks are the Way Forward.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I used to have one of those about 9 years ago. A great guitar in one of the best colours - but I’m just not a Strat player.

I swapped it for an equivalent MiM 50’s blonde Tele with someone on Musicradar if my memory serves me correctly.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Strats are the sexiest looking guitars ever made!  There's just something about all those curves and contours with variations and finishes that go from prim and proper to slut!  :3 =) ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

Congrats,that Classic 50's are great guitars.

I had a surf green one and I REALLY regret selling it.The neck was brilliant and the 7.25 radius didn't bother me at all.I'd have another in a heartbeat.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.