Gibson SG revelation

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I had a Standard that I traded for a LP Classic a number of years ago - I kinda want another one now, cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

Get yourself a Johnny Marr haircut and a big jumper and you can be Kimberly Rew (great sound but I'd rather have a small scratchplate myself).

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    My SG doesn’t neck dive.

Fab guitars. I don’t think of Angus when I see one, I think of Robbie Kreiger - cool as 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    mikeyrob73 said:9
    Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i, what a great guitar, really resonant, snappy in a way a LP isnt. 
    i want one 
    I came to SG's late but as I posted a couple of months back it is now my favourite go to guitar. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    stimpsonslostson said:
    I love SGs, all my favourite players Angus, Townsend, Iommi, Clapton etc played em. 
    I've had several, but haven't found "the one". I find that they inevitably feel like the whole guitar is a few inches to the left of where I want it to be. 

Similar for me, but I don't really mind the "to the left" thing, my problem is that most SG necks are too skinny.  I'd also like some colours other than cherry, brown, black or white.

When I think about it I've owned quite a few, including some Tokais.  I had a Townshend signature which I probably shouldn't have sold, and I still have my Army Green SG-X tucked away in a corner somewhere, I should give it an airing sometime...

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Played Teles, Strats and Les Pauls for 30 years before Coda suddenly posted a used cherry 61 Reissue on Facebook at an amazing price 18 months ago. Never much liked the look but was curious so I bought it.

Instant love. Then I put OX4s in it and it became about 90 per cent better still. Fantastic thing. And now I love the look too.

Funny innit. For years I played only Strats. Can't really abide them now

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    impmann said:
    My SG doesn’t neck dive.

Fab guitars. I don’t think of Angus when I see one, I think of Robbie Kreiger - cool as 
    Nor does my neck
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Not just Zappa - think also Holdsworth playing with Soft Machine at Montreux: one of the godliest performances on an SG in the history of music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 909
    Derek Trucks does OK with his SG....
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    andyoz said:
    Look out for a keeper and it'll become your no. 1 go to guitar.
    @mikeyrob73 ;; doesn't know what you mean by "Keeper". You may have to explain it to him. Guitars are more like hot potatoes to him
    I shall have you know I have 3 keepers now mate, once you find the one you know it and it stays, and as I run on a max of 4 there is always room for that one more, which currently is on hold due to a boiler issue but soon I will find it 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Not just Zappa - think also Holdsworth playing with Soft Machine at Montreux: one of the godliest performances on an SG in the history of music.
    You just won the internet with that. Have a beer! :-)
  • You tried a Firebird yet? Strap in! 
  • I got a great deal on an SG that had suffered a neck break and had been professionally repaired a few years back.  It quickly became a mainstay gigging guitar, along with my Les Paul.  I sold it a few years after my rock band days at a reasonable price with full disclosure.  Had no problem selling it except I kind of wish I didn't.  Great guitars, no doubt.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Well I guess the lesson is don’t judge a book by its cover :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    I love my SG but it took me ages to come round to it after years of only playing LPs. It just felt so "dry" for lack of a better expression when compared to them. After much experimenting with pickups I finally found some that work great in it (Axesrus Purist A4 magnet). I wish I could use a bridge p90 in it because that just feels right but they sound too thin - even the Bare Knuckle Pig 90 didn't really work for me! I have a neck humsize p90 which sounds great.

My only regrets are getting a cherry red one and the big scratchplate - just looks a bit too typical for an SG. It was the best feeling and sounding example in the shop though, and there's no neck dive.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited January 2018
    Before I started learning to play, I always thought SGs looked a bit odd and assumed all they could do was the Angus thing, but when I went shopping for my first guitar I loved the Epi SGs I tried. They felt like my ideal guitar and so easy to play compared to the Strat I borrowed from my Dad to start out on, but I ended up buying on an Epi Les Paul.

Fast forward about a year to the end of 2015 and all I'd done was think about getting an SG and I could now afford one, so I tried a few and the brand new 2016 Faded I tried just felt amazing and I ended up buying it on the spot. I much preferred the satin finish on the neck to the gloss on the Standard and it's worn in really nicely. It still feels fantastic now having seen countless hours of home playing in my learner hands. It sounds snappy and clear and can do any style you could ask, way more than just the Angus stuff. I absolutely love it, it's comfy, light and the shape has really grown on me. There's no neck dive at all, it's spot on and the long neck thing has never ever been an issue.

I've become a big SG fan and I'll never sell this one.

I'm keen one day to get myself a P90 Standard model, but that will be down the line sometime.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I've never quite liked the ergonomics so one of these are on my list instead

• cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    Check out a Classic if you can, mine’s fantastic, nice chunky neck and I stuck some Florence Voodoo P90’s in it, sounds sublime!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've never quite liked the ergonomics so one of these are on my list instead

I've got the semi-hollow version, same colour, with the bird inlays too.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I had one for a while, as it was the most player-friendly Gibson for someone used to Strats.

There were issues, though. The control layout drove me mad - too far away from the bridge - and very cramped. I couldn’t get beyond the look either - I always associate them with 70s rock bands.

I went to see the Eric Clapton film the other night and was reminded how good they can sound. Still not something I’d want to own again, though....