Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are Ibanez already on top for NAMM 2018?

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321

I've never owned an Ibanez, but the £1000 ish AZ models look fantastic. I don't understand how brands like Chapman can compete now.

Fender are releasing oddballs, Gibson are Gibson, yet Ibanez seem to be getting lots of attention.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d like to try the fan fret models. They’ve got a reasonably priced acoustic which could be very useful to me, and an electric with Fluence Moderns
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I'm very impressed with reintroducing the RG550 and Genesis line for £800 to £900.

Original edge or hard tail, MiJ and good quality cases. 

I see what you mean when comparing to smaller brands. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never played a bad Ibanez. 
    I dont think I can say that about any other manufacturer. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    If i buy another guitar Id go for an Ibanez

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I've never played a bad Ibanez. 
    I dont think I can say that about any other manufacturer. 
    I love Ibanez basses but my guitar experiance is really limited to a mates collection. He has an excellent jem and an iceman as well as a really nice mid price  acoustic. I had a couple of students with budget models and they were fine too. So on limited experience I'd agree.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1782
    Although Ibanez is more adored by the metally rock brigade I have to say they are making a lot of nice looking stuff in all the segments at the moment also played one of their thermo aged acoustics in a guitar centre last year and they are a good bang for yah buck acoustic. 

As for Chapman I think this is their make or break year really as an interesting good value line with some user voted for ideas it had novelty.  But without it being in multiple stores in the UK it just becomes Andertons house brand and now with the normal brand stretching of two price points and specs and more colours it starts to become something different in business. terms. 

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4290
    edited January 2018
    I’m also very keen to try an AZ. Looks right up my street
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Owned an Ibanez AS93 which I bought new for £315 a few years ago. Truly ridiculously good guitar, let alone for the money. 
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Been a big fan of Ibanez Guitars since I started playing in 2002 when the brand appeared to be competing well. However noticed a slump over the last 6 or so years as their focus seemed to be on how many strings/frets they could add....  for the first time since then I genuinely feel excited again. It is going to be tough to resist a desert yellow RG550! 

BTW - the Ibanez book by Tony Bacon is a great read!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I thought my GAS was cured, but looking at this beauty...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2018
    @carlos - a grand for a guitar with a roasted neck, stainless steel frets, decent pickups, a Dyna switch offering a total of 10 useable sounds, Gotoh trem, locking tuners and a nice choice of finishes is just madness.

I can't wait to try them and they're certainly generating interest here - there's about 3 related threads.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve recently owned an AS73, which was very good for the money but the pickups were predictably uninspiring and things like the block inlays had as much filler as inlay. Still a good instrument for the money.

Then there is my short scale Talman Bass that cost £150 (I see some shops doing them for £140 now) - it’s insanity good. I thought it was just me as I’m not “tuned” into basses but I’ve seen a few rave about them on bass forums too.

Keep thinking I should upgrade to the Fender Mustang shortscale, but scared of being disappointed, and it would be purely for vanity.

Really want a RG550 in purple neon to stick it under the bed and pull out once a month with the spandex!

AZ’s look great.

So yes, they’re on it!
  • Kebabkid said:
    @carlos - a grand for a guitar with a roasted neck, stainless steel frets, decent picukups, a Dyna switch offering a total of 10 useable sounds, Gotoh trem, locking tuners and a nice choice of finishes is just madness.

I can't wait to try them and they're certainly generating interest here - there's about 3 related threads.

The price looks great. I couldn’t stump up £1799 for the prestige version though 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2018
    @Fortheloveofguitar - yep, I'm thinking the same but it'll be interesting to see if there is a real difference between the Premium and Prestige.

My only experience with anything similar was with the Andy Timmons model. Sadly, the Premium, for me, felt cheap and lack lustre but others on here have liked them. It could've been that particular guitar, or me!
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I've got 2 from the current premium range. Had a prestige Js1000 a few years before that and to be honest the quality was better on the prestige. I've heard now that the current premiums though are closing that gap considerably.

The premiums though are still great guitars and bang for buck esp 2nd hand. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Kebabkid said:
    @carlos - a grand for a guitar with a roasted neck, stainless steel frets, decent picukups, a Dyna switch offering a total of 10 useable sounds, Gotoh trem, locking tuners and a nice choice of finishes is just madness.

I wish I shared everyone's excitement for these, but it just looks like another Suhr, GJ2, Tom Anderson, Melancon CNC job to me.

I wish they Reissued the '88 JEM with the '87 RG550 - The 30th Anniversary price was ridiculous.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    This would be the one I'd go for (could justify spending the cash on)
     ]

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Kebabkid said:
    @Fortheloveofguitar - yep, I'm thinking the same but it'll be interesting to see if there is a real difference between the Premium and Prestige.

My only experience with anything similar was with the Andy Timmons model. Sadly, the Premium, for me, felt cheap and lack lustre but others on here have liked them. It could've been that particular guitar, or me!
    Agreed

I think the premium Jems are not very good for the price they’re asking but I bought a Jem Jr for £350 new a while back and modded it and now it really is a fantastic guitar for only £550 all in

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Kebabkid said:

Agreed

I think the premium Jems are not very good for the price they’re asking but I bought a Jem Jr for £350 new a while back and modded it and now it really is a fantastic guitar for only £550 all in

What did you mod out of interest? Pickups? Is the term decent on it? Cheers
  • dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:

Agreed

What did you mod out of interest? Pickups? Is the term decent on it? Cheers

Hi buddy

Here is the thread with all the details

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/71880/ngd-ibanez-jem-jr-updated-with-mod-pics#latest