Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your local independent..

What's Hot

Comments

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Im based in Bristol and we have some decent places here, I always take a trip to Electric Ladyland to see Steve and check out what he's got. Great guy and it's a shop which is worth checking out purely to see what unusual things you might find. He's not online so a visit is the only way to check. 
    If Im after something high end i'd head over to World Guitars. Paid my first visit there they other day and was impressed by their relaxed atmosphere and genuine passion. If you're after a conventional vintage place then Vintage & Rare in Bath seems an option. Its rather pricey but the guys seem friendly and they always have a really nice array of stuff. 
    First of all, wow at World Guitars, am tempted to splurge on a PRS from here, but... https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/prs-guitars-custom-24-quilt-limited-charcoal-cherry-burst-242687/ but that would be stupid, like 100% of my budget on a guitar I'd want to mess with electronics wise.
    Vintage & Rare of Bath used to have another location here in London on Denmark Street and it is they who sold me my first Gibson Les Paul in 2011... Then later, same shop, different name, different owner (same everything else) sold me my second Gibson Les Paul in 2017.
    TBH, I knew Vintage & Rare had a Bath store, but, when they left London, I just assumed they ceased to be.
    But £795.00... It's a little more than what I wanted to spend, but at least it's the right guitar...
    https://vintageandrareguitars.com/product/1930s-stella-parlour/
    This though, makes me want to come out to Bath to see it, play on it in person.
    Wow that is a nice PRS, yeah they had some fantastic guitars there, I was rather taken by a 58 standard Historic LP. The guy I think Julian was fantastic, Let me play for ages with no pressure to buy - Really top guys and a fantastic store. 
    In regards to Vintage and rare i never knew they had a store in London! They have really ice stuff, It can be a bit pricey but the guys working there are very friendly and happy to let you play as long as you're respectful. That Stella Parlour looks like a steal. They also have a refin lp junior and a pretty clean sg junior. Think i may have to head over soon! Good luck with your next purchase. 

Yeah, their London shop was where I scored my first Gibson.

When I knew them, they were my beloved Vintage & Rare on Denmark Street, then they sold up but the place and the stock didn't change, nowadays it still looks the same but is called NoTom Guitars and, what they left in London has become my beloved NoTom...
    Two different people, same place, same couch even, sold me both of my Gibsons (by coincidence).
    Once when it was Vintage & Rare, then again when it was NoTom...
    https://notomguitars.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Another vote for Guitar Sound in Chichester, great little shop and super friendly. Some interesting vintage gear often in there. 

Anyone been in the small guitar store opposite the Post Office in Guildford?
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    KKJale said:
    kt66 said:

Did anyone here ever go to Greenwich guitars? 
    I used to live 5 mins from there. Brian's place (RIP), then Mark. 

Rather went off the last owner after he stitched up a friend by deciding not to sell a Fender amp they'd agreed a price on... after my friend had sold a beloved WEM to pay for it. Extremely poor form 
    Yes, that Mark is a "character" to be sure 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    I know he’s nowhere near you - but I always like to give Chris at Amp Guitars in Macclesfield a mention in these sorts of threads. He runs a really small ‘old school’ business. Virtually everything he sells is used - you never know what he’ll have in - but invariably he’ll have something interesting.

He’s a pleasure to deal with - and the shop has real character. Highly recommended to those who are ever in the area.
    Absolutely this. Even though he’s about 2 hours from me, I would regard Chris as my local shop. A wonderfully friendly guy in a ‘proper’ old school vibe guitar shop.

I popped in over Christmas for a bit of respite from the in laws and just to say hello and he immediately got the kettle on, we sat and chatted for ages, talked about bands, he showed me a few guitars, I tried a few, no pressure sales whatsoever. I was in there over 2 hours and came out with an Esquire! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
     I was in there over 2 hours and came out with an Esquire! 
    Merry Christmas to you!!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Just been reading that Newtons Music (used to be Potters Music) in Merstham that sold guitars to Clapton and Beck is to close after 59 years in business.

My favourite independent was Bootleg Music in Epsom, which closed years ago. Bought a Charvel Model 1 and a Marshall Lead 12 from them in 1988 and kept going there for years afterwards. Loved that shop.

I live between Andertons and Guitar Guitar in Epsom now but generally Andertons gets my dosh.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Just to add... currently in rockhouse music in Hampton... Gary’s doing 20% off all fender guitars in stock... 
  • I am so thankful for Denmark Street,

I've not been to Andertons yet...
    I've seen this video, and I remember not thinking much of it... And I heard there was this big guitar shop in Guildford worth checking out (only I've not been to Guildford yet)...

I am so thankful for Denmark Street, just because.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    Riff Raff guitars Sunderland ,Shaun is a true gent, does amazing set ups for peanuts ,saves me going to newcastle and paying double the price for average set ups! this man knows how to set a guitar up tell him what you want and thats what you get !,top bloke ,check out his sons band fire lady luck,  great stuff !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    My local independent is in Dubai. It's a pretty small shop but they've done a clever "library stacks" type of thing with their stock, so they can fit a lot in a small space. Good guys, but a small market means great stuff goes quickly. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Heading down to guitar village today at some point - see what all the fuss is about..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    @lovestrat74 - take a packed lunch and put plenty of time on the parking meter... it may take some time!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    James Music, Carmarthen
    Pleasant family-run establishment. Possibly a bit too generalised for hardcore guitar fiends. Stock biased towards beginner/intermediate/school customers. The occasional pre-owned bargain breezes through. I got my PRS SE One there at a discount because it had taken a knock. I sometimes regret not nabbing a pre-owned Musicman S.U.B.1 guitar from them.

Main Street Music, Pembroke

A veritable Aladdin's cave of name brand electric and acoustic guitars, a token bass selection, Fender amps. Proprietor manages to wangle stock usually associated with Fender Diamond level dealerships. Great after sales service, set-ups and repairs. Probably too far West for most tFBers to visit casually but within easy striking distance of the Tenby/Saundersfoot beach resorts and Oakwood* amusements park. 

* Pardon my swearing.

Be seeing you.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Anyone know any shops in cornwall worth a visit?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    There’s a nice one in centre of Truro which is the only one I’ve found. Can’t remember it’s name but it’s near Burger King
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    MagicPigDetective said:
    James Music, Carmarthen

Main Street Music, Pembroke

A veritable Aladdin's cave of name brand electric and acoustic guitars, a token bass selection, Fender amps. Proprietor manages to wangle stock usually associated with Fender Diamond level dealerships. Great after sales service, set-ups and repairs. Probably too far West for most tFBers to visit casually but within easy striking distance of the Tenby/Saundersfoot beach resorts and Oakwood* amusements park. 

* Pardon my swearing.

Been to that one this year, great shop - owner is really nice and chatty too :)
    munckee said:
    There’s a nice one in centre of Truro which is the only one I’ve found. Can’t remember it’s name but it’s near Burger King
    Let me guess... bacon double cheese?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited August 2018
    munckee said:
    Modern music in Truro is a cool old school - stack to roof style shop with some cool new and SH stuff. Weird opening times though.

the other one “City Music” is more generic, cover pianos and other stuff. But a good new guitar (and acoustic) selection on the first floor. They’re only 5 mins walk apart- so visit both.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    munckee said:
    Modern music in Truro is a cool old school - stack to roof style shop with some cool new and SH stuff. Weird opening times though.

the other one “City Music” is more generic, cover pianos and other stuff. But a good new guitar (and acoustic) selection on the first floor. They’re only 5 mins walk apart- so visit both.
    Ok so when it rains I need to persuade the missus she needs to see the capital of Cornwall as there are loads of great shops there;)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I'm not a fan of Guitar Village (Farnham) and I once got a parking ticket at Andertons (Guildford).

There's a guitar shop in Croyden, but I don't recall the name.

Street Level and Guitar Center (formerly PJ's) in Southsea (Portsmouth) are great. There's also a PMT nearby.

PMT in Cambridge is OK, I suppose.

Absolute in Bournemouth is worth dropping in if you're in the area.

Amen Corner in Bracknell can be good on the right day (it does have a strange smell though).

Apex and Dawsons in Reading can be hit and miss, The Music Man in Reading can have some good used stuff.

I went to the New Kings Road shop last week, but things were out of my price range.

Vintage & Modern in Thame seems to have expensive stuff.

Fair Deal and another one in Wolverhampton is a good place to visit.