Has your dream guitar changed since you grew up?

What's Hot

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    proggy said:
    I can't answer that.........I haven't grown up.

Wis'd. That's my answer, too. Finally ended up scratching my 30-fret Ibanez shredder itch
    last year. Proof enough, methinks.

Jeremiah said:
    My dream was always to play a BC Rich or other ridiculous pointy guitar, in a jazz band.
    That dream died when I discovered that I don't like jazz.

@Jeremiah You might like this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DLM said:
    Well these days I only want practical guitars and GAS after cool basses instead.
    @guitarfishbay Please post details! My bass GAS is always on, and utterly irrational. (See recent acquisition of fretless 5 tuned EADGC.)
    I see basses I like the look of but then, like last night, any time I play anything other than my P, I just wish I was playing my P.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    edited January 2018
    Always had those classic F & G sounds as a referrence in my head. But my first proper electric was an Aria PE1000 which I bought new and still have nearly 4 decades on. Interestingly I took it to a pub gig early December and I've fallen for it all over again (even rehearsed with it last night). But I quickly decided I needed a strat for those 'commecial pop' sounds (this was 1981) so added a strat. That got me all I needed for the next 25 years until I stretched out and added a 335, then a while later a Telecaser.
    Can't say I ever wanted anything much else. Some variety would be interesting but is not lusted after in the way the others once were. I've been casually looking for a lifetime acoustic over the last three years or so. Again classic Martin and Gibson tone is my inner ear reference, but I heard a Furch a while back, and then another, and another. Damn they sound good in spite of the very reasonable price, I might have changed my dream there then.

• DLM said:
    Well these days I only want practical guitars and GAS after cool basses instead.
    @guitarfishbay Please post details! My bass GAS is always on, and utterly irrational. (See recent acquisition of fretless 5 tuned EADGC.)
    G&L L2000, or the tribute.  I really love the sound on the demos I've listened to, especially the parallel and both pickups on sounds.

Dingwall Combustion 4.  Would love to try a fan fret to see what difference it makes to the low B (I tune my 4 strings down).  Would also love to try their super PJ, again I'd prefer a 4 but this 5 looks epic.

Spector Euro LX, for the reverse PJ and EMGs.

Musicman Bongo 4HH.  Much as they look weird I actually like some of the clips I've heard of these and they've got a very different vibe to the Stingray.

Warwick Thumb because the guys in Dead Letter Circus and Mudvayne gets such a cool sound from theirs.  Though the pickups are in a different position on the 4, 

I'd also like to try a graphite, or graphite/composite neck bass as they seem to have an interesting clarity when I've heard them played.  I'm not particularly set on a model but either a Zon or a status would be cool to try.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2018
    Bucket said:
    That looks rather nice. Hope you achieve it
    Me too... atm I'm prioritising buying a new car over buying any more guitars, but once that's sorted I'm fairly certain my next guitar purchase will be something like that. That exact model is a '58 VOS reissue, which would be my choice of spec out of the new stuff. In natural too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • @Bucket mine is rather like it, but it's not a 58 VOS reissue (afaik). My h/w is nickel, and the bridge looks different.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @guitarfishbay With the exception of the G&L, which I'd never considered, we're looking at a lot of the same stuff. :)
  • When I first started playing the three guitars I lusted after were a 27 fret Hamer Californian, the original version of the Tremonti PRS Singlecut and the Snakepit Les Pauls (both the Epi & Gibson versions with the more feasible Epi model inching ahead). Think in part you can blame the Soho Soundhouse mini catalogues you used to get at the front of Guitarist.

In reality I've shifted more in the direction of strats & bolt ons, though never less than 22 frets. Would probably say the dream guitars these days would be some kind of Feline custom Blade-esque custom strat, a Vigier Surfreter (already have a workable fretless but fancy something top end) and a Danny Gatton tele. Honorable mentions to the Fender Japan Micawber unofficial model, the Andy Summers tele and some kind of fan fretted baritone.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    DLM said:
    Jalapeno said:
    with occasional irrational obsessions on the way e.g. 1980s dayglo plasticene monkey grips
    @Jalapeno Would pay good money to see photographic or video evidence of this! :)
    An obsession never realised, sadly, would still like a swirly JEM with dayglo pickups and knobs.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I had a friend at university who's dad had a 1956 gold top Les Paul in beautiful condition.  His dad also had some old Gibson brochures, which he showed me.

One of those would have been something like this:

When I saw the white 3-pickup SG Custom, I vowed that I would one day own one, and that was my dream guitar for the next 20 years.

But when I finally bought one, it ended up being a huge disappointment.  I was totally gutted at how it didn't suit me at all.

The next one I bought was a Les Paul Custom - much better.  That one was followed by various Les Paul Standards - even better.

I also never owned a guitar with P90s until very recently, and I now completely understand the love for these.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Oh man.  When I was a kid the local branch of Dixons (yes, really) had an electric blue Squier strat, I presume as part of a starter kit that I LUSTED after.  I mean I DREAMT of it, night after night...  Could never afford it, and didn't get a guitar till my mum got me a Hohner jumbo acoustic for my 16th birthday that she believed would be a nine days' wonder and I think I taught myself to play just out of adolescent defiance.

More than 30 years and probably 30 guitars of every imaginable stripe later the dream is probably some sort of vintage jazzmaster, although I have the king's own guitardon for that new Meteora thing...

Never did get myself an electric blue Squier :D

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DLM said:
    @guitarfishbay With the exception of the G&L, which I'd never considered, we're looking at a lot of the same stuff. :)
    The Tribute model looks excellent value. Every time one pops up on eBay I’m tempted.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited January 2018
    I grew up wanting a korina Flying V, thanks to Tim Wheeler from Ash  My first electric ended up being a Stagg ‘67 V knock-off, and it was shit, but it looked great and got me started! Later on I had an Epi version as well, but it sounded wuite thin and I moved it on. I’d still love to have a proper one, maybe a @GSPBASSES version, so I suppose it hasn’t really changed much. :)

Other than that I’ve always been fond of SG’s (Angus), and black LP Customs too, but I’ve not owned either one!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    DLM said:
    G&L L2000, or the tribute.  I really love the sound on the demos I've listened to, especially the parallel and both pickups on sounds.

Dingwall Combustion 4.  Would love to try a fan fret to see what difference it makes to the low B (I tune my 4 strings down).  Would also love to try their super PJ, again I'd prefer a 4 but this 5 looks epic.

Spector Euro LX, for the reverse PJ and EMGs.

Musicman Bongo 4HH.  Much as they look weird I actually like some of the clips I've heard of these and they've got a very different vibe to the Stingray.

Warwick Thumb because the guys in Dead Letter Circus and Mudvayne gets such a cool sound from theirs.  Though the pickups are in a different position on the 4, 

I'd also like to try a graphite, or graphite/composite neck bass as they seem to have an interesting clarity when I've heard them played.  I'm not particularly set on a model but either a Zon or a status would be cool to try.

Good taste - Almost exactly what I like, but the Status has to be Headless for me  =)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11809
    Actually my dream guitar growing up is a Taylor Acoustic…I have a Taylor T5 and a Taylor GS mini but not a full size Taylor.

One day….
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    When I started playing I did not really have a clue as to what style of guitar I wanted - dream guitars back then were pretty much any that I could not afford (which was most of them!).

Moving on 16 years and nothings changed!

Still change my mind daily....Monday - I really would love a 63 fiesta red strat, Tuesday - nah, one of those new Ibanez AZ models will cure my GAS, Wednesday - hold on... I think actually I will research hollow bodies....

And so the day-dreaming goes on....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I've never wanted to play bass but that f string fan fret one could certainly tempt me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    My dream guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Custom, achieved many years ago now.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    My dream was a Charvel Star and when I got one...I found that it wouldn't stay in tune and could only do one thing. I now dream about a Japanese Strat, Les Paul and Superstrat, sitting together in a row, or just to keep my SG with P90s.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    When I started playing I was all about Gibson’s, my uncle has a 72 custom that’s just a monster so I always thought I’d want one of those, until I found junior style guitars. Les Paul’s, SGs, DCs, I just love the simplicity.

id still like an SG junior but I’ve yet to finish nd one that rivals the feel and sound of my PRS.