Anyone tried using multiple 2x12 or 1x12 cabs instead of a 4x12?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
ive always wondered how using multiple 1x12's would work. On paper it gives more options about scaling up and down to suit the gig and makes the load I a bit easier. 

For example , I could have 2 1x12's setup vertically or horizontally , and the same for 2x12's.
anyone tried it ? How does it sound compared to using the traditional 4x12 cab ??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    I've used 2 x 1 x 12" cabs a few times, stacked on on top of the other. It can give a better spread but not so much the more low end  you would get with a 4 x 12" because a 4 x 12" has the bigger box in which to develop lower frequencies whether the stacked smaller cabs don't .
    These days, 1'm either on a 4 x 12" or a 1 x 12" depending on what band I'm with but as I'm generally on ears it doesn't sound any different to me. I'm recovering from a hernia op at the moment though so I'm all for easier load in's :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Have a 4x12 and also two 2x12s. All closed back and same width and depth.

Same speakers in all the cabs.

The 4x12 sounds biggest and beefiest.

The pair of 2x12s is tighter and crunchier sounding.

I haven’t yet played a 1x12 I’ve liked for the music I do (drop tuned modern heavy rock). I think 2x12s are the sweet spot for weight/tone ratio, but a 4x12 still has a unique tone that a smaller cab won’t match IME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could consider lighter speakers. Celestion do some neo creambacks that look cool on paper. They’re under 1.9kg a speaker vs 4.7kg for a H75 or V30
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I use two 2x12 cabs for bigger gigs 'cos I'm getting old and have some back trouble so a 4x12 is a bit too much. They do lack a bit of bottom end power in comparison but not something I notice in isolation.

I had a 1x12 valve combo with a matching 1x12 cab a few years back and it was a nice, compact rig. Loud enough for most venues and the open back combo with the closed back cab seemed to give the best of both worlds.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I used to use two 1x12s either side of the stage
    less volume more spread
    worked fine
    Orange ppc112 with neo creambacks somlight as anything too
  • I sometimes use two EVH 1x12’s with my modded EVH 50 for smaller gigs, or two CAA 2x12’s. I use the 2x12’s with my EVH 100 and sometimes I use an EVH 4x12. The two CAA cabs sound the biggest with both heads. All cabs are creamback G12 65M loaded except for the 4x12 which is stock. I use the CAA cabs vertically or horizontally depending on the venue.