Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Light (in weight) telecasters

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited January 2018
    I recently got a Thinline and I’ve been comparing it to be regular Tele - deffo a touch lighter ( and the Thinline is Ash vs Alder for the other and has a fat, solid Rosewood neck vs Maple) and at least as resonant.

Downsides are the contols (vol and tone are lower and closer together) and even more neck dive (I didn’t expect anything less with the rosewood neck)

They don’t sound the same but both sound great and unmistakably Tele
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    SunDevil said:
    I recently got a Thinline and I’ve been comparing it to be regular Tele - deffo a touch lighter ( and the Thinline is Ash vs Alder for the other and has a fat, solid Rosewood neck vs Maple) and at least as resonant.

Downsides are the contols (vol and tone are lower and closer together) and even more neck dive (I didn’t expect anything less with the rosewood neck)

They don’t sound the same but both sound great and unmistakably Tele
    I wonder if Hohner deliberately made their version heavier in the body to counter this, I played the guitar for the first time in ages this evening and there certainly isn't a hint of neck dive, but after 20 minutes or so the weight made it so uncomfortable. 

I recall an Ibazez semi I had once, this thing was so out of balance if you let go of the neck it turned upside down, that's always been my reservation about the Thinline tele but I have to find a light guitar if I want to keep playing, I hate getting old. 
  • "It is made out of Maple, (most teles are Alder bodies are they?) ... "

A maple body will be heavier than a "normal"  alder/ash telecaster

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    With regard to neck dive - you just get used to it and automatically compensate - not something that would be a deal breaker for me.

To optimise resonance, I think  a guitar should have chunky neck and a light body, so you could even argue dive is a good indicator? ;-)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Whitecat said:
    the Telebration series “Empress” Teles were ridiculously light. 
    Same goes for the 2011 USA La Cabronita and the Brown's Canyon / Old Growth Red Wood models.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited January 2018
    My Tele has a cheap  paulowonia body I got from a local guy for 20 quid .It even had a belly cut which I prefer.its a pile of shit but works .The  neck pocket is slightly too deep and angles towards the back which makes fitting my MIM replacement neck just plain weird .it also sets the neck a fraction too deep and make the fret board  slightly nearer to the body  which actually makes playing up in the gods easier for me .I wish I could find another body like it as I have no idea from whence it came .most people thinks it a vintage fender at a glance because its relicing very nicely all on its  own due to a very thin poly coat .It has Van Zandt true vintage pickups and plays very well and if you let go tends to start floating up to the ceiling .,slight exageration .Very resonant .I would like a better fitting neck pocket  and often wonder about getting  a guitar body builder to  make a proper one though I doubt it would be any better to play.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited January 2018
    Michael Kelly does an "enlightened" range of Teles which are 6lbs or less 

www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/ultralight-guitar