Boss ES-5, or...?

BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
You might find this hard to believe, but I have settled happily for the following board:

https://imgur.com/gallery/43EyG

However, as has been pointed out, it could really do with a MIDI switcher. I agree. Now the world of MIDI looks daunting to a technophobe like me, and that's why I sold on an MC6, but I'm willing to dive in to MIDI if it'll make using my board a lot easier and save on tap-dancing. 

One thing Im looking for which the MC6 doesn't have (being a MIDI controller only) is loops, but I'd like to have the option of changing the order of the loops/pedals in the chain, i.e. stacking the Particle before or after the Timeline, tremolo after reverb, drive before/mod, delay after Reverb, and so on, etc.

The ES5 has definitely caught my eye. I'd probably run the 3 Strymons, Particle and Jam Rattler in the loops, and have the Fairfield and CB Brothers between the guitar and ES5 input, and connect the 3 Strymon up in a MIDI chain.

Additionally, I want to retain the Timeline's oscillate/hold function, and the option of momentary switching.

It looks like the ES5 does all of this. Can any current/previous owners advise, or are there other options? Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited January 2018
    Short answer is yes ES5 does what you want.. You have everything pre amp right?
  • Short answer is yes ES5 does what you want.. You have everything pre amp right?
    Yep, everything into the front of the amp, no FX loops.
    Yeah then easy. It's really what the es5 is designed for. 5 loops and midi. Do the strymon have midi through? If so you are set. If not then a splitter like the kenton midi thru is required.
  • Yeah then easy. It's really what the es5 is designed for. 5 loops and midi. Do the strymon have midi through? If so you are set. If not then a splitter like the kenton midi thru is required.
    All the big Strymon have MIDI ins and outs so looks like I can chain them. 

Looks like the ES5 has a tuner out and a mute function as well. Can it make coffee and do my tax return as well??
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited January 2018
    I used to switch my strymons (timeline and möbius) with my ES5 abdvit worked a treat. I've switched to two H9s now in their place with a few other pedals in the loops. ES5 is quite intuitive and for someone like me to say that, really says something

May sell the strymons soon now 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Yeah then easy. It's really what the es5 is designed for. 5 loops and midi. Do the strymon have midi through? If so you are set. If not then a splitter like the kenton midi thru is required.

Looks like the ES5 has a tuner out and a mute function as well. Can it make coffee and do my tax return as well??
    Not necessarily. Midi out and midi thru not the same thing. You need data from es5 to pass through the chain. Not send from pedal to pedal.  If the midi out can be configured as a thru it will be OK. 
  • I use my es-5 the way you are describing but i also use my effects loop which i only engage using the midi functions turning the pedal on or off via midi in es-5 so my loop is connected to my mobius & H9 which are set up in pre and post mode you can set the patches up on the es5 to either engage the fx loop on by turning the midi pedal on & setting them to post mode or tell it to run it in front of the amp and also be able to move the pedal around in the 5 loops easily  =) theres tonnes more you can do using midi & es5 like you could set the mute button as a secondary function of the midi pedal your using for all sorts of different sounds from the same effect your currently on or hook up expression to the es5 then control the pedal using the midi out  =) to name just a few things you can do
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Not necessarily. Midi out and midi thru not the same thing. You need data from es5 to pass through the chain. Not send from pedal to pedal.  If the midi out can be configured as a thru it will be OK. 
    I never had any issue passing midi Thru strymon timeline or mobius. 
    I seem to remember you to to set it up in the globals though. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    I enjoyed using my ES5,and midi was simple enough. Lots of YT Support too...
    sgosden said:

I never had any issue passing midi Thru strymon timeline or mobius. 
    I seem to remember you to to set it up in the globals though. 
    Cool then they must be out/thru depending on settings. Nice one strymon!