The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    WezV said:
    More acoustic and archtop stuff.  I had a good start on the acoustic stuff but life got in the way... I want to revisit it later this year
    Looking forward to seeing this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    More acoustic and archtop stuff.  I had a good start on the acoustic stuff but life got in the way... I want to revisit it later this year
    Same here funny enough an acoustic I made years ago came out really nice shape wise, I started with a j200 and took 3/4 inch out the centre and an inch off the length, shape came out a bit like the old j185's, I'd like to build another based on what I know now and a proper 335 but I'd get a back and front plate set from the state's, just can't be arsed to get into laminating

My friend made a beautiful benedetto style arch top took him a couple of years part time
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    had a  bit of a moment with these.  I marked up the weight relieved burst for chambers, and weight relieved the custom which was going to be chambered

Also,i think my last scale reading was off.   because i weighed them again with the same scale today and got the same reading off both bodies again, even after weight relieving one of them.  I tried a new set of scales and working backwards i think it was the 2-piece that was 6.4lbs.  The one piece closer to 6lb

The one piece is now 5.7lb, 2 piece is 5.3lb after weight relief, although there is still a bit to do

I have changed my mind again on going chambered thinline for the custom, i think they will both be weight relieved instead 
    tFB Trader
    I think the 5.3lb will be ok weight wise with a cap, should end up under 9lb, that's what I've had before anyway

The 5.7lb I'd do a semi chambered but it all depends on what your final weight goals are

Looking forward to seeing the custom, that did look really good with your mock up
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I want to get them 5lb or under, the 1-piece will easily get there.  I still have room for a few more holes, and slightly deeper on the ones I have already done... I should get close just with the Swiss cheese approach
    The goal is less than 8 1/2lb
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    The goal is less than 8 1/2lb
    that's a nice weight, should sound really good too

I found the Swiss cheese approach didn't remove enough weight for me I had to semi chamber, maybe I was cautious on the hole depth as it was my first weight relieved build
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    well it doesn't rule out chambering.   they are more effective at weight relief but will impact the tone more.  i don;t mind either way really
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    well it doesn't rule out chambering.   they are more effective at weight relief but will impact the tone more.  i don;t mind either way really
    I like the tone of my semi chambered one I did
    I chambered just on the bass side and nowhere else, I'd do that again
    It weighed 7.8lb with p90's and wraptail

I'll be trying some carbon fibre rods as I'm interested in the difference having seen your neck build on this, I'll build 2 and compare when I've got the workshop done

Have you seen the maple splines put in on a Lp style neck from ruokangas guitars, that was an interesting way to strengthen the headstock 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited January 2018
    i got the one piece for the burst weight relieved.  took a lot of holes but its bang on 5lb now so should give 8.5-9lb when finished.  you can ignore the pen line, this one was never going to be chambered.

The top is also cut and drilled with some template holes to help alignment

quite a bit of colour variation, some small knots at the waist, and a fairly inconsistent flame - but i like this kinda top

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That top is gorgeous, @WezV.  

I was really pleased with how the sycamore I used on the Psilos bass came out.  It's a great timber.
  • Looks lovely sir but please do more to the fanned fret firebird, that's awesome 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looks lovely sir but please do more to the fanned fret firebird, that's awesome 
    Sanding and sealing doesn’t make for exciting pics.   It should have some paint on it soon
    the top is on the burst, trimmed back and I started the carve.

If you have seen the last 2 builds i route a series of steps in a  contour map then sand it until the ridges are gone.   I normally route the neck and pickup angles  before beginning to sand it all out, but couldn't resist making a start. before that stage

On the last 2 i routed the binding channel whilst it was all still flat.   Totally forgot to do that this time so I will be using a different method :)

the small knot on the edge has moved inwards and grown, but given its location I am not too worried

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fully carved

I am actually thinking  of changing  my plan on this one.   Maybe make it totally unbound with a dot neck.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Nice carve, @WezV ;
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Unbound would look grand. Still set on a burst though? This’d look great under wine red.
    I am rarely set on anything when I build this way.

I originally wanted to do a hand rubbed burst, but the knot that appeared will make that a challenge.  It will take the stain differently.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader

Lovely carve.. Done the proper way  (unlike some people  )

(and yes for those that don't know im talking about myself here)

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    It is indeed a nice carve. How do you rout the pickup cavities and neck pocket when there isn't a flat surface to clamp templates to?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...