Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the absolute worst car YOUR DAD ever owned ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

Cars I remember in order:

Austin Cambridge Estate - don't remember it much as I was very young, though I did have a dream where I somehow reversed it off the drive.

Austin Maxi (brown) Its finest hour was losing a hubcap in Norfolk which left the road and was last seen vaulting a hedge half a mile from where it had left the car, to cheers from me and my sister.

Renault 16 - owned right up to me passing my driving test and seeing how quick it could cross a speed bump - there was a small oil leak quite soon after it bottomed out ;) This was probably the worst car.

Toyota Corolla - survived me thrashing it around while it was supposed to be running in, and for quite a while afterwards.

Volvo 360 - probably the ugliest, but it kept going for ages, partly because I was breaking my own cars by this point and only drove it a couple of times.

Honda Jazz - survived long enough to be passed on to me last year (for free) with 55,000 miles on it :) Dad no longer safe to be behind the wheel.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    A VW Variant coloured teal. 

It was a fine car in most respects but we ended every journey with terrible headaches and bright red faces. We gradually realised that the exhaust was leaking into the ventilation system in the rear passenger footwell. The best thing I can say about it is that it didn't end up killing us. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    Austin 1800.

I only remember it breaking down once, but the leather seats stank. I think that car was the root of all my travel sickness since.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheMarlin said: 
    Peugeot 406. Pile of crap. Had the worlds most lethargic 2L engine, slow as hell.  No guts, bits started dropping off it. Just a terrible heap of junk. 
    And the flimsiest build quality you ever saw ?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Austin 1100. It looked exactly like this ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2018
    Two Austin Land crabs - you literally NEVER see one of these - the furthest thing from a classic ever built.

Ha, ha I remember my mate's Dad still having one of those in the early 80s. We used to piss ourselves with laughter whenever it went by, this was the era of GTIs, XR3is and Quattros you know. You still see a few Land Crabs about at classic car shows (I think the body was actually quite tough) but you rarely see it's bigger brother the Land Lobster o

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Austin_3-Litre_at_Glamis.jpg
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Nissan Prairie. I guess thinking back the bullying was justified. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Fretwired said:

My mum had two of those, an Austin and then a Riley Kestrel which was the same thing but supposedly 'hotter' (I think it might have been a 1300). It was cream, but my dad painted the sides under that detailing line a sort of antelope brown to hide the rust! It actually looked quite nice.

It died when it did indeed get much hotter - they had a problem with the thermostatic valves in the cooling system sticking so it was always overheating, and one day the engine seized with a bang and a cloud of steam the Flying Scotsman would have been proud of :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Barney said:
    A pink avenger ...
    Yup, my dad's absolute automotive low point was a metallic brown Hillman Avenger estate, utterly hideous, woefully unreliable and unforgivably characterless as well.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Probably would have been a 1974/75 Cortina 2000E in beige - bloody thing was off the road more than it was on it; I remember one or two family outings being dashed by its unreliability.

That said, it was just one of many Cortinas we ended up having and they were generally all reasonable reliable.
  • We only ever had one Car when I was a kid. It was a 1975 Vauxhall Viva in Metallic Green. It was 6 years old when me Dad bought it and it always had something wrong with it.

Everything was OK though, me Dad spent money on it, he had it re-sprayed Blue.

B) 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Fretwired said:

Tend to forget how small cars were back then. My kid has a Go Kart bigger than that.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    ICBM said:
    It died when it did indeed get much hotter - they had a problem with the thermostatic valves in the cooling system sticking so it was always overheating
    They all do that, sir. The B.M.C. 1100/1300 series was, essentially, Mini technology in an oversized body shell. 

I hear stories of me as a kid in 1959/1960 sat on my mum's knee, in the front seat, with her legs wide open as the floor had a hole in it
    I am told similar stories of a car that my parents had either late 1963 or early 1964 - some time between me learning to walk and my brother being born in the Autumn of '64.
    Be seeing you.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    My old man had a Hillman Husky in pea green. He only had it for about three weeks because it basically didn’t have any brakes. He took it back to the dodgy dealer he’d got it from and swapped it for a Ford Pop, also in pea green. It was a gutless thing that had brown rexine seats that stank when they got warm. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    edited January 2018
    This is the one you have been waiting for the Austin Aggro
    So crap everyone was made on a Friday and the old mans on Friday the 13th thing was the devils spawn. Dad was a rep so we always had ok family cars then we hit some 70’s recession and the company decided to economise.

Besides getting it started in winter took a morning spray with damp start a half hour procedure the main dealer could never resolve. It drank more oil than petrol just burnt it up. He would top up the oil 3 times per week and carry a large gallon can of the stuff.

it had the nastiest plastic interior with this hard plastic vinyl seats. The door handles came off on a regular basis usually Dad told us don’t touch the doors got in his side and opened the car for everyone to prevent them coming off.

once a month the hydraspastic suspension would go down on one side. The company had got lumbered with 15 or 20 on a deal as they were reps cars the warranty mileage or whatevet was quickly gone and In Year 2 and 3 the company spent a fortune keeping them on the road. 

Truly the the worst car
    and a social stigma for a young lad who had to tell his mates when asked what ya dad drive. 

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    edited January 2018

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    edited January 2018
    makes you wonder if there were any decent cars in the 60's and 70's. Rovers always seemed to be quite "cool", and I always thought the cortina (the one before the last mark cortina, oops no it wasn't, the mark 3 is the one I'm thinking of) was a good looking car.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• An ex girlfriends dad had a citroen in the late 80’s which i think was a BX.
    I only went in it once and he made me sit in the back so i could “appreciate” the hydraulic suspension “lifting” the car when he turned it on.
    I always thought he was a nob from that point.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited January 2018
    This is the one you have been waiting for the Austin Aggro
    So crap everyone was made on a Friday and the old mans on Friday the 13th thing was the devils spawn. Dad was a rep so we always had ok family cars then we hit some 70’s recession and the company decided to economise.

Besides getting it started in winter took a morning spray with damp start a half hour procedure the main dealer could never resolve. It drank more oil than petrol just burnt it up. He would top up the oil 3 times per week and carry a large gallon can of the stuff.

it had the nastiest plastic interior with this hard plastic vinyl seats. The door handles came off on a regular basis usually Dad told us don’t touch the doors got in his side and opened the car for everyone to prevent them coming off.

once a month the hydraspastic suspension would go down on one side. The company had got lumbered with 15 or 20 on a deal as they were reps cars the warranty mileage or whatevet was quickly gone and In Year 2 and 3 the company spent a fortune keeping them on the road. 

Truly the the worst car
    and a social stigma for a young lad who had to tell his mates when asked what ya dad drive. 

Indeed, it’s arguably worth creating a sock-puppet account solely for this confession.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    VimFuego said:
    makes you wonder if there were any decent cars in the 60's and 70's.
    Mercedes. It’s when they got their reputation for quality.

As soon as my dad retired he bought himself one and hasn’t driven anything else since.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom