Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson fretboards

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Babones said:
    WezV said:
    You are going to have to get over it, dark boards  of common woods are going to diminish.  

I actually don't mind richlite as an alternative. It gives the dark look. I had it on a Midtown and thought it was absolutely fine.
    i would rather have pale rosewood, streaky ebony and a nice bit of brick red pau ferro

Richlite is fine.   wood is better,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Try a Hagstrom with the resinator wood - impressive stuff:

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/electric-guitars/tremar-viking-deluxe.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never played a Pau Ferro board - how does the feel and note attack compare to ebony?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I've never played a Pau Ferro board - how does the feel and note attack compare to ebony?
    Used to have a Suhr with a pau ferro board - it feels more like rosewood than ebony - and sounded more like maple than either to my ears.
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    edited January 2018
    fandango said:
    57Deluxe said:
    surely there are sustainable sources of Rosewood...?

I am getting fed-up with all these Millennial Snowflaker oppositions to everything - now they want Friends pulled from Netflix FFS...

Bob Taylor is a Millennial Snowflake? o

I agree with you about all the Guardianista, rad-fem, PC nonsense that is rammed down everyone's throats at every turn, but there are some real issues with illegal forestry.  To my mind a failure to make a proper distinction between such issue is the greatest failing of the left these days - they go all over the place when someone finds something uncouth Trump said decades ago, but the then barely raise a whimper as his policies accelerate the move towards irreversible climate change. Talk about lacking a sense of perspective!
    Climate is changing all the time. Most people confuse weather for climate change. Neither is caused by Trump.

Quite a few people also use weather as evidence that climate change isn't happening, including Trump who recently cited the very cold weather they've had in parts of the US as proof.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Dark rosewood costs extra on Fender Custom Shop builds now... 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    There is, sonokeling.   It’s affected by the same regulations as all the rest.  And whilst it’s the same species as Indian rosewood, it’s growing environment leads to a noticeably different wood.
    I tried sonokeling once, but the water kept going down my pipe. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I had an epiphone les paul plus top pro a few years ago. It was completely unplayable for me due to an issue that could be biological, but I’m sure the fretboard didnt help. 

Long story short my fingertips feel like rubber after playing for more than 10 minutes. Worse on some guitars than others but that Epi was just a no go.
    Couldnt bend nor slide at all. 

At first I blamed the fretboard because it was so dry, dyed and the grain was so open. 

My own finger issue aside, I didnt like how the fretboard was anyway compared to my esp ltds. They seem much tighter grained, though initially they did leave my fingers pretty black for a while. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...