Wudtone/Osmo to finish a neck?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Should this thread be retitled “Osmo to refinish neck”?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Very nice.  I need to do my fretboard, not the back and sides.  I will try it soon.
  • Roland said:
    Should this thread be retitled “Osmo to refinish neck”?
    Duly noted and obliged
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looks nice :)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
     I think most people know my views on Wudtone finishes, won't bore you with the details again except to say it's very hit and miss. The clear and colours like dairy blonde can work really well. Someone on the forum claims that Wudtone is Osmo -based.
    With this in mind, I've ordered some Osmo and tints from Axminster tools, they seem to have the best prices. I also believe you can tint Osmo with artists oil paint. So while I'm not fit enough to be in the workshop for a while I can at least experiments with this. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

I’ve used Oil paint pigments on children’s toys. The finish is nearly opaque. 

On guitars I prefer to see the wood grain. For that I want to try spirit dye.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    I’ve used Oil paint pigments on children’s toys. The finish is nearly opaque. 

On guitars I prefer to see the wood grain. For that I want to try spirit dye.
    Did you use the oil paint directly onto the wood full strength? Only I was intending to use a small amount of oil paint mixed in with the Osmo so it becomes a tint as  opposed  to a solid colour. It would be interesting to know if anyone has use this method of tinting Osmo.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

For the toys I wanted a solid colour, but in a thin layer that wouldn’t chip or flake off. I used a painter’s approach, squeezed a small amount of oil paint on to a suitable surface, and then mixed in sufficient Osmo to get the consistency I wanted. The lighter colours had a second coat to get the desired colour density, and cover deficiencies in the plywood.

Throughout I was wondering whether I could use oil paint pigment to colour Osmo for a guitar body. I tried dilute (low pigment) mixes on scrap wood. None of them gave the translucence that come from alcohol based stain. Oil paints are designed to be opaque, and I was hoping for transparency in small quantities. Maybe my technique was wrong, but I concluded was that it wouldn’t suit my purposes. 

Now or if I were decorating Clapton’s Fool ...
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Finally got round to this and I am really pleased with the finish - although a bit hard to capture on phone camera.  I used honey first then applied the amber as the honey wasn't quite dark enough.  Thanks for the tip @Gizmo !!

Wow look's great :) thanks for the update really glad your happy with the result and don't have 95% of a bottle of finish left ;)

Did you get any pics of it with just the honey pass ?

Sorry about the delay in replying but ive been all kinds of ill over the new year,went to the docs with a chest infection came home with Oz flu....
  • Gizmo said:
    Finally got round to this and I am really pleased with the finish - although a bit hard to capture on phone camera.  I used honey first then applied the amber as the honey wasn't quite dark enough.  Thanks for the tip @Gizmo !!

Wow look's great :) thanks for the update really glad your happy with the result and don't have 95% of a bottle of finish left ;)

Did you get any pics of it with just the honey pass ?

Sorry about the delay in replying but ive been all kinds of ill over the new year,went to the docs with a chest infection came home with Oz flu....
    Ah sh#t that's not good! 

No i didnt take pics of the honey, didn't even register. To be fair there was not much difference but just enough to tip it over to a more richer colour I was hoping for. 

They did send - by mistake - a silver and a black sachet as well. Was thinking of using one of them on the fret board to make it look worn but them I thought of the effort of reversing it If it looked naff and didn't bother!
    tFB Trader

They did send - by mistake - a silver and a black sachet as well. Was thinking of using one of them on the fret board to make it look worn but them I thought of the effort of reversing it If it looked naff and didn't bother!

May I ask where you got your Osmo silver tint from, as Axminster tool where purchased Osmo tints from did not have any metallics. 

• GSPBASSES said:

May I ask where you got your Osmo silver tint from, as Axminster tool where purchased Osmo tints from did not have any metallics. 

Got mine from Vanilla Wood Floorts on Amazon
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Im gonna grab a black tint to see how it goes on over leather dye to help lock in the black when ebonizing
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255

I'm interested in tinting my strat neck, how did you apply and how did you deal with the frets, did you mask or sand them afterwards?

Looks great.
  • munckee said:
    I'm interested in tinting my strat neck, how did you apply and how did you deal with the frets, did you mask or sand them afterwards?

Looks great.
    I spent a lot of time removing the original poly front and back. Then applied the Osmo with a cloth and buffed after about 10 or so mins. The oil doesn't stick to the frets so when you buff any residue comes off. I then grabbed a couple of my wife's (shhh) disposable nail file emery board things to clean up the frets.

Sorry I am no expert and this is far from text book stuff but it works. I am not into perfect, shiny guitars i like a bit of wear and tear. The played look  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:

Looks great.
    I spent a lot of time removing the original poly front and back. Then applied the Osmo with a cloth and buffed after about 10 or so mins. The oil doesn't stick to the frets so when you buff any residue comes off. I then grabbed a couple of my wife's (shhh) disposable nail file emery board things to clean up the frets.

Sorry I am no expert and this is far from text book stuff but it works. I am not into perfect, shiny guitars i like a bit of wear and tear. The played look  ;)
    Looks good enough to me.  I have ordered two sachets of the amber.  My neck has a very thin satin type finish so will lightly sand it but should go on okay hopefully.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Roland said:
    Oil paints are designed to be opaque,

Artists paints range from transparent to opaque. The tubes (and maker's web sites) should indicate what a particular pigment is - they're generally classed as transparent, semi-transparent, semi-opaque, and opaque. Most paints can be made more transparent when reduced with oil or a suitable painting medium (so a nominally opaque colour can be pushed towards semi-opaque, or further).

Also need to be aware of toxicity - some paints are definitely not suitable for kids toys.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

@lovestrat74 Have you put a decal on yet if you are going to, do you need to poly before or can you put straight on the finish?  Although looking at your picture I might try leaving mine without one.
  • munckee said:
    @lovestrat74 Have you put a decal on yet if you are going to, do you need to poly before or can you put straight on the finish?  Although looking at your picture I might try leaving mine without one.
    No not yet. I believe you can do it either way because if you look at some of the 60's strats you can see the decal was applied after the finish. Probably need to create a light key for the decal if you put it on over the finish. As for poly I am not touching that stuff. I might put a light wax on it or some clear nitro but not poly.
    munckee said:

Looks great.

Sorry to resurrect this one @lovestrat74 I took the guitar apart at the weekend and sanded the back of the neck and the headstock with 600 and 1200 sandpaper and the fretboard I went over with 0000 wire wool and the 1200 sandpaper.  I'm wary of not taking enough off but don't want to use anything too course on the fretboard.  My neck has a satin finish rather than thick poly - just wondered what you used to take your finish off and how you knew you had taken enough off?