Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which OD pedal should I get?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I've just sold the one I had up for sale, but, I can highly recommend the Tone City Sweet Cream for a Mad Professor Sweet Honey/BJFE Honey Bee type overdrive.

They are supposed to sound like a small tube amp (think Supro) and clean up amazingly well with picking dynamics or guitar volume. On it's own it sounds pretty good -- although it's definitely low to mid gain, not high gain -- but it stacks really nicely with another drive, for a smoother more compressed Mayer style natural sounding drive. I used it both with a Zendrive clone, and with a quasi-fuzz type pedal. But I think it'd pair really nicely with the Soul Food. They are around 40 quid.

TS Mini, and Blues Crab, as per above, also seem like good suggestions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    There's always the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet, too, which I think Mayer has actually used. I see those s/h for well under 100 quid, quite often.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    The Dude? (Dumble sounds in a pedal)

I've just taken one off my board so willing to sell if you were interested? 
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited January 2018
    +1 for the mini screamer. (guitar>soul food>Ts mini>amp). Probs pick one up for about £30-£35 too if you play your cards right. 

Klon type pedals really come to life when stacked IMO. And they stack really well with screamers. 

Recently bought a Keeley 1972 of my good friend @Mark1985 . Which i'd also highly recommend for those Mayer / SRV tones. Sounds awesome with a strat on the neck pickup.
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    JackieB33 said:

Klon type pedals really come to life when stacked IMO. And they stack really well with screamers. 
    Do people find Klons stack best before or after other drive pedals? 
    @Chris_J For me it depends how you use them mate. There are advantages to both. 

I have a Klone (which is currently off my board for the time being). It seems to suit me best as a lead boost, as it's got so much output.. and it doesn't get very woolly on its own. So in the front of a clean amp its just like more of a clean boost, makes leads really stand out, and pushes the front end. Then when you kick an overdrive or fuzz in behind it it retains all of it's own character and level, but is more filled out and saturated. 

I imagine @lincolnblue might benefit from using his soul food slightly differently. With the screamer being such a great lead boost, it might sound great if he were to put the screamer in front  (i.e guitar>soul food>Ts mini>amp). And set the gain a bit higher on the SF. The two stacked sound great.. i have used this configuration previously with my klone and a TS9. 

But yes generally i prefer to use the Klon at the very front (i.e last drive in the chain / closest to the amp).

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Something like a KOT? - you could try the Tone City King of Blues ? 
    I have one I would part with if you decide to go this route. PM me if so!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    If you are very confused by all the above exotic paint jobs and suggestive pedal names (great for church), then you can always go BOSS. They have a decent selection you can actually try in a shop not far from you. They are very reliable, cost effective and sound great. A lot of Pro guitar players use BOSS. But they carry no bragging rights.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    If you are very confused by all the above exotic paint jobs and suggestive pedal names (great for church), then you can always go BOSS. They have a decent selection you can actually try in a shop not far from you. They are very reliable, cost effective and sound great. A lot of Pro guitar players use BOSS. But they carry no bragging rights.

Hell of a shout. Nothing wrong with a stock SD-1. Nothing at all..  Also in the £30 range. 
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be honest, part of me wants a pedal that looks good but I know that's just shallow! I'm not a brand snob and have owned the Mooer Blues Crab and similar cheaper pedals. The TS Mini is a good shout and cheap enough to try and see. 

I guess one option is a custom build?
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    Boss BD2, used.

a Fulltone OCD knockoff.   Joyo and Mooer do one.  Mooer Hustle Drive it might be called.
    pedal fiend
  • FChris_J said:
    JackieB33 said:

Do people find Klons stack best before or after other drive pedals? 
    Prefer mine before my drives. Had quite a few drives over the last year and the RYRA seems to be happier at the beginning of the chain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a look at an early 80's Boss OD-1 or Reuss Cab Drive clone. It doesn't need to be the highly desirable 14 pin chip version. Just a brilliant simple OD level & drive, addictive, nasty and thick sounding. Or an SD-1w.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Have a look at an early 80's Boss OD-1 or Reuss Cab Drive clone. It doesn't need to be the highly desirable 14 pin chip version. Just a brilliant simple OD level & drive, addictive, nasty and thick sounding. Or an SD-1w.
    Not enough low end on OD-1's unless you're a neck pickup soloist.