Tea in the studio

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Tea in the studio - no not a new band but something you shouldn't do. Knocked a whole cup of hot tea onto my NI keyboard - looks like I've fried the electronics. No more recording today ... my fault. Second time I buggered up a keyboard this way .. you'd think I'd learn.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Last week I watched "Eight Days A Week" about The Beatles. 
    I've always imagined bands like Guns N Roses would be in dark studios with half empty bottles of Jack Daniels lying around and mirrors on tables.  Dunno if that's what it was like or not.
    Yet in almost every bit of footage of the Beatles in the studio there was invariably lots of tea cups, (those little white ones you got in cheap cafes) and usually a tea pot somewhere to be seen. 
    Somehow I thought that was just brilliant. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    And they all had saucers.. proper dignified tea :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    What else would you expect at EMI?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Grunfeld said:
    in almost every bit of footage of the Beatles in the studio, there was invariably lots of tea cups
    .. and McVities Digestive biscuits. 
    Be seeing you.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2018
    Grunfeld said:
    in almost every bit of footage of the Beatles in the studio, there was invariably lots of tea cups
    .. and McVities Digestive biscuits. 

How one would do anything without tea is beyond reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Tea in the studio - no not a new band but something you shouldn't do. Knocked a whole cup of hot tea onto my NI keyboard - looks like I've fried the electronics. No more recording today ... my fault. Second time I buggered up a keyboard this way .. you'd think I'd learn.
    Yep nothing goes on my desk except bottles with closed lids on, lids go back on before setting it down. Had a few near misses so stopped putting cups/mugs on at all. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Not very Rock & Roll, is it?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    Grunfeld said:
    Last week I watched "Eight Days A Week" about The Beatles. 
    I've always imagined bands like Guns N Roses would be in dark studios with half empty bottles of Jack Daniels lying around and mirrors on tables.  Dunno if that's what it was like or not.
    Yet in almost every bit of footage of the Beatles in the studio there was invariably lots of tea cups, (those little white ones you got in cheap cafes) and usually a tea pot somewhere to be seen. 
    Somehow I thought that was just brilliant. :-)
    I always wondered that about GnR too.

Whether or not you like that outro solo on Paradise City (and I love it), Slash claimed he recorded it first thing the next morning in one take after trying over and over to nail it the previous night.  He also claims they were pretty much straight in the studio which, for a band as notoriously indulgent as they were back in the day, is a surprise.  If you had to name one record that reeks of cocaine abuse it’s surely got to be Appetite.  Right from the edgy, speedy riff that opens Welcome to the Jungle through to the very end.

Then again, when asked about that Marshall amp of his (or not his as was the case) that’s probably one of the most dissected items of musical gear on the internet, he says he just thought it was a JCM800.  This leads me to believe that they weren’t as squeaky-clean in the studio as is claimed :)

Anyway Fretwired is in good company with his brew, apparently Angus Young’s rider is basically Earl Grey and Kitkats.  Sorry about your keyboard, that sucks.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I can't record or be in front of my music pc without a cup of tea, you are forgiven :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    randella said:

If you had to name one record that reeks of cocaine abuse it’s surely got to be Appetite.
    Status Quo's Mystery Song :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Footnote:

I picked my mug up off the carpeted floor in my studio room yesterday and stuck it in the dishwasher. Made myselft a cup of tea this morning. One sip and the handle fell off ... tea all over the desk. No kit damaged but I'm thinking of buying one of thise beakers with a lid that babies use ...

Now gassing for a new tea mug .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Get a lidded cup from Starbucks or somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:

Then again, when asked about that Marshall amp of his (or not his as was the case) that’s probably one of the most dissected items of musical gear on the internet, he says he just thought it was a JCM800.  This leads me to believe that they weren’t as squeaky-clean in the studio as is claimed :)
    Actually, it's more likely that it means he didn't really care and left the whole amp thing to the studio engineer. You have to remember that back in the 80s, people didn't get as obsessive over the minutiae as they do now...if it sounded good, they used it.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    randella said:

Actually, it's more likely that it means he didn't really care and left the whole amp thing to the studio engineer. You have to remember that back in the 80s, people didn't get as obsessive over the minutiae as they do now...if it sounded good, they used it.
    From what I remember in an interview, he actually used a MkIII Boogie to play through - because it was the highest-gain amp available, so it would create feedback very easily. The guitar signal was split *before* the amp, and the other half was sent into another room where the Marshall was - so what you hear on the record is all the Marshall (the Boogie was not mic'ed) but he would never have heard it directly and may not even have seen it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

From what I remember in an interview, he actually used a MkIII Boogie to play through - because it was the highest-gain amp available, so it would create feedback very easily. The guitar signal was split *before* the amp, and the other half was sent into another room where the Marshall was - so what you hear on the record is all the Marshall (the Boogie was not mic'ed) but he would never have heard it directly and may not even have seen it.
    Interesting info, didn’t know that.  

My favourite bit of the story is when the roadie gets fired for fetching the Marshall down to their rehearsal at SIR from where the amp was nicked in the first place.

I’d like to have been a fly on the wall during that little sideshow.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

From what I remember in an interview, he [Slash] actually used a MkIII Boogie [...] but he would never have heard it directly and may not even have seen it.
    Potentially he did. On the reverse of Appetite for Destruction, it's a mere couple of feet to the left of him, just above Steven Adler's head.
  • Seem to remember a story about Francis Rossi spiking Rick Parfitts tea in the studio with coke and coming back the following morning to find Rick having recorded the intro riff to mystery song for a full 8 hours
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Speed..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

beed84 said:
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

From what I remember in an interview, he [Slash] actually used a MkIII Boogie [...] but he would never have heard it directly and may not even have seen it.
    Potentially he did. On the reverse of Appetite for Destruction, it's a mere couple of feet to the left of him, just above Steven Adler's head.
    Maybe I was being a bit unfair in my first post, given that the man himself has cheerfully admitted that there are entire tours he can't remember. :)

I've read more than once that he does have a reputation as a gracious and hard-working professional.