Fender Parallel Universe Series . . .

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Well, I love them all. There's not a single one I wouldn't welcome owning.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Jesus Christ I thought this was a photoshop fest by a fan, I didn't realise these were actually real Fenders!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    A Tele-Jazzmaster with a hardtail would have been a ‘maybe’ but ultimately none of them do it for me!! The jag-strat thing is just... I don’t know what but I wouldn’t want one. 

Edit: the jag-Strat is what the Cyclone wishes it was in a parallel universe. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited January 2018
    The blue Tele looks like it was lifted from this G&L ASAT Deluxe...

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Deluxe_II/TI-AD2-130R44R23-1200.jpg

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    All cool. If you don’t like them you’re a saddo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • We are very conservative (me included).  It does make me wonder what we would have been saying if this forum had existed in the 50's

'That Stratocaster looks like Klaatu and Gort came and threw up on Mr. Fender's design sketches.' or something like that.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    All hideous.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I actually really like the Jag Strat, but then I also like the Burns Cobra, which also takes the Strat template and adds a bunch of wacky 60s styling.

I'd definitely try one, but not sure I'd pay what they're asking. If this thread is any indication of how they'll be received in the market then I guess I'll just wait until the inevitable blow out sales :) 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The original Fender designs are masterpieces of integrated form and function, and not just because we’re familiar with them. This becomes obvious when you see some of the preparatory drawings, before they were quite finished - things that weren’t right were then changed.

These are just a mess. If you take the individual elements of those classic designs out of context and bodge them together you end up like the children’s game where you mix and match the parts of different people so you end up with things like a baker wearing a policeman’s helmet and diver’s flippers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I quite like them tbh although there are details on all of them that would jar a bit. As @ICBM ; says that Jazzmaster trem does look perilously close to the back of the body, and on the Trouble maker I think a wrap tailpiece rather than separate bridge & tp and ditching two of the knobs would make for a less cluttered look . And the worst offender has to be the mismatch in shape between the control plate/pickguard and the body edge on the Strat/Jag one. 
    But all that said I can see where Fender is coming from.
    On the one hand they know that they’re reaching saturation point with the standard models and even though the typical guitar buyer has a much larger collection than they would’ve done 10-15 years ago there’s only so many different variations of Strat, Tele etc that even the most avid, completist, collector will buy.
    Allied to that Fender must be looking at the hordes of builders coming out of the woodwork offering mash up reimaginings of their classics that they probably, quite rightly feel they want a piece of that action.
    After all from what I can tell the whole LaCabronita thing went pretty well for them.
    I just wish they were Squiers !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Troublemaker Tele looks cool.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Love them all, especially the green tele
    Mom?
    The blue tele looks nice too
    Dad?

I'd no idea you two were posting on here! :lol:
    Though what I’d really like to see is a Tele with the contours and body edge radius of a strat. Maybe even humbuckers too. I think that’d be a great combination.
    Suhr seem to be making a whole lot of these.
    http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54agatCl31qdjrt9o1_250.gif
    ICBM said:
    I'm still hoping that these are just a Photoshopped joke and they're not actually guitars.
    Garthy said:
    Jesus Christ I thought this was a photoshop fest by a fan, I didn't realise these were actually real Fenders!
    It's looking a lot like @Luuuke from intermusic/MR got a job at Fender, isn't it? The acid test will be if the next thing they put out is a Strat with a Line 6 POD integrated into the body...

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Here's Jimmy Page with a tele sporting a JM trem.  Interestingly, and with a nod to @ICBM, it's noticeably closer to the bridge than the forthcoming offering, to judge by the pictures.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    ICBM said:
    The original Fender designs are masterpieces of integrated form and function, and not just because we’re familiar with them. This becomes obvious when you see some of the preparatory drawings, before they were quite finished - things that weren’t right were then changed.

These are just a mess. If you take the individual elements of those classic designs out of context and bodge them together you end up like the children’s game where you mix and match the parts of different people so you end up with things like a baker wearing a policeman’s helmet and diver’s flippers.
    On second and third look, I have to agree. Not one of them is fully resolved, or “designed”.

I kinda like the troublemaker because I love humbuckered Teles in general. But the ToM bridge doesn’t work for me here, as the neck will be back angled and changes the Tele geometry. And it’s a ToM, which isn’t as good as a hardtail Strat or Tele Bridge for this application IMO. Not sure if the neck is bolted on, assume so, in which case not sure mahogany bolted to mahogany is a good thing.

I’m a complete Fender nut, but nothing they’ve done in tha last few years has taken my fancy, even with the complete USA range revamp (professional and elite). The Custom Shop even seems to be lacking some focus these days and just happy to churn out more and more relic S and T’s instead of weaving in the odd modern classic like the La Cabronita.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

The Whiteguard Strat and Strat Tele Hybrid look much more modern and, perhaps, more practical than the others.  Incidentally, Warmoth have been making similar bodies in both those styles for several years now.

The others really do just look like the results of messing about on Photoshop.  That said, I think they look OK, apart from the Jaguar Strat which is just stupid, the scratchplate and hardware don't go with the body shape at all. 

I don't think I'll be buying.

• I would love a Tele with a Jazzmaster trem. But not that one. 
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    The jazz strat would look so much nicer if the contour of the pick guard matched the body outline with the chrome control plate for volume and tone controls like that of the mustang/ cyclone. Also not sure about the pickup selector switch...
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

It certainly is a leftfield move, but I agree with DrBob when he says about the saturation point.

I particularly agree with him when he says it's a shame they are not Squires. If they had been cheaper I reckon they would fly off the shelves.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    I like the  red Stratuar/Jagcaster, and I usually hate red guitars!   Way over priced though.