I had one of those moments again..

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
in Amps tFB Trader
When I plugged into this 

https://imgur.com/gallery/mETBE

and turned it up louder than I’d usually have it. After playing for about 10 mins I stopped and checked what I had turned it up to. Bearing in mind that some of the decor was vibrating and I was definitely going deaf during the aftermath I realised I had turned the master up to 1!

This amp is going out to the display end of my workshop in 2 weeks but I can’t help but think that it’s just too much. Then again, I love the amp. I love the way it looks, sounds and feels but god damn... its LOUD.

The inside of the cab is also signed by Jim so I don’t think I could sell but there’s that nagging little voice in my head that says sell it and get something more versatile and volume friendly. 

I know a PB100 would help and I had wanted a Schaffer Storm pedal too but is throwing another £150-350 at this rig going to help it THAT much?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try a 1x12 cab maybe? Not sure it'll make a huge difference, but it'll take up less room!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Now that is an awesome amp - and the feeling playing them is fantastic - but you have hit on the issue they are LOUD!

I've got a 76 JMP four input, it was made the same year as me and I love it, but I've always had to use an attenuator. It recently needed a filter cap job and while I was talking to my tech he asked me if I wanted a post phase inverter master volume fitted and since then – boom – no attenuator, for my needs it makes it way more versatile and if I want it back the way it was before just max the PPIMV! :)

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Try a 1x12 cab maybe? Not sure it'll make a huge difference, but it'll take up less room!
    Space isn’t an issue.. it’s weighing up selling a 40 year old head and cab to get something more versatile and decibel friendly. 

I know that after getting it back I’d only end up regretting selling it again in a few months. It’s not a financial decision either.. I’ll need to figure something out.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    I have the same issue, even with a 15 water. I gigged it for a good 3-4 years and only once or twice got it to the 'sweet spot'. Reading Gear Page reviews of amps that reckon you need 30+ watts to gig are simply nonsense, at least in the UK gig scene and at home they're just not practical! Having power scaling added makes this sort of amp more useful but I'm increasingly tempted by a modelling solution. My Yamaha THR10 sounds great...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    edited January 2018
    Went from a 50w half stack which was nowhere near as loud as yours will be but was still way more than I needed to an 18watter.
    It’s proved a very positive change and I’m still able to get great.
    tFB Trader
    I measured the amp today in terms of volume.

104 dB at 7’ away, the volume was at 1.

Its a seriously loud amp. Does it sound good below 1? Yes, absolutely. And I’m sure a drive pedal and or an attenuator would help. But man... part of me thinks a lower wattage amp would help. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    They are the loudest amps ever built, at least in perceived volume. I've owned a Marshall Major, and worked on Hiwatt 200s and even 400s, and they don't actually match the sheer aggression and raw volume of a 2203 despite their extra power. I'm not quite sure why, probably a frequency thing or the precise harmonic content in the sound or something.

They are also the best-sounding amps ever built, if you want that classic rock crunch. Better even than a Plexi. If you ask a non-musician to describe what an electric guitar looks like, they'll come up with something like either a Strat or a Flying V. If you ask them what an electric guitar sounds like, they'll describe a 2203. It's simply the definitive sound of a distorted guitar.

A couple of weeks ago I was working on one - a tired old example that the owner wanted to be fixed up just enough to be sold, and no more. Even at that, once I'd got it going I plugged in a guitar and instantly there it was, despite the tired valves and the old filter caps. THE sound.

A lower-power amp won't sound the same... they just don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    Thank you @ICBM and thanks for your help with all my questions on this.

Ive been politely advised to hang on to it by a few people. I guess I’ll have to sleep on it and save for a PB. 

It does sound incredible but my god, at 1 (and a p90) I nearly blew the double glazing out. I haven’t heard that tone anywhere else from any other amp so you’re right.. it is THE sound.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    I’d be scared.  Properly scared.  I mean, the whole point of those Marshalls was maximum sound pressure level, surely.  Jim’s USP was ‘bastard loud’ to make up for poor PAs and screaming crowds.  He was just the best at it ;)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    My first "proper" marshall experience was the 2104 combo which I understand is basically the 50w combo version of the same amp? Was an eye opener for sure.

I'll never forget the first time I was allowed to let rip with a 2203 half stack in the theatre at work tonal bliss and painfully loud at 3. It really is the perfect rock tone and unlike some amps you don't need to pile on the gain to make it sound dirty, that's just it's default tone.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2018
    My first proper amp after a Marshall Lead 12 was a JCM800 2203 with two 4x12 cabs as a full stack in my bedroom.
    The volume with the gain full up was regularly on 3, .....5 when the rest of them were out (Detached house) and once on 8 but it did break a window so I stopped doing that at home.
    (I have found the old print photo of this so I'll try to get it scanned and post it sometime.)

Right now I'm sat next to a Blackstar Series One 200 head on a 2x12 that I can "Only" take up to about 1/3rd on the power control but it's only a 10 x 15ft room so I guess it'll have to do.

I salute you.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    edited January 2018
    I love the old JMP’s, they’re my favourite amps, I’ve had loads of 50 watters and currently have a 1980 2203... I used to gig them using the low input and a selection of drive pedals (which I know is kind of missing the point if these, but it worked well for a covers bands in a pub!) and they always sounded great 
  • Awesome amp. I'm currently facing the same decision with my JCM800 2204. It's easily my favourite amp I've ever owned, but I've also not turned it on in nearly two years (need to do that soon before the caps die) because I just don't do the kind of gigs where I can stretch its legs—and when I do bigger gigs, I need more versatility.

That said, an attenuator can really help. I've had awesome tones in my living room from the 800 with a Motherload. It doesn't sound the same, but it does sound good. 

I just sold my attenuator. That may not have been smart.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Thank God you're over the water otherwise I may be giving you selfish "advice" that it's far too loud for use these days and you should sell it to me immediately ;-)

Have you tried it with attenuators, load or re-amping boxes? I get pretty good results at home with big amps. Not the same as the raw cranked amp, but still good and way better than not having the amp at all.

Got anyone nearby who could lend you a Power Station?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    tFB Trader
    Still a little undecided tbh... I’m going to spend a little time looking at Friedman stuff to see if I can get the sound I want out of a 20 watter.

Might be a big mistake even thinking about parting with the JMP but research doesn’t cost anything other than time I guess 
    tFB Trader
    Sorry, I’m getting lazy but I asked another group I’m a member of (Irish group, for obvious reasons)... I got a lot of various responses but I read everyone’s comments. 

Heres my over response..

“Okay guys, thanks for all your comments. I have read all of them and I’ve considered all the angles youve presented. After sleeping on it here are my thoughts today. 

I do, to a certain extent, love the amp. It’s a Marshall, it’s from 1977, it’s in amazing condition and *when* turned up a touch it sounds beyond outstanding. 

Now, time to be realistic. Nostalgia doesn’t mean much if it’s holding you back. The last amp I owned was a Lonestar classic. It was utterly brilliant at low volumes. The clean was the finest I had played and the drive was thick and juicy without going muddy. The options on it were divine. I sold it to fund SC Relics... my business which now pays the mortgage and bills. 

Right now, even after trying a JHS @ in front of it, my thoughts are to sell it and buy a more versatile, modern amp that will do what I need it to do without have the police phoned on me by my neighbours. I’d like to be able to add another amp to the setup but I simply can not afford it. I’m growing a business and the plan did not include a €1400 amp head. I’d also never get finance due to now being self employed.

Perhaps it’s best to let someone else enjoy it for what it’s meant for? And no, upon reflection I don’t think spending another €200-500 on attenuation will satisfy my needs. 

I’m thinking a Lonestar, victory v40 deluxe or Friedman. Don’t quote me on those, they’re just ideas.”

So, that’s where I’m at. I think the best solution is to let the amp go. I’ve gone long enough without having a good and versatile setup. I’ve sacrificed a lot for the business, house, family... I need to own something that will allow me to play guitar again. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I had a glorious session with my Ceriatone 2204 earlier today, preamp on 7 and master on 6 into a 2x12 with V30 speakers. LP Standard straight into the front, no pedals. 

It sounded immense. Thick, sweet, singing. No pedal can get close to that sound and feel. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    I had a glorious session with my Ceriatone 2204 earlier today, preamp on 7 and master on 6 into a 2x12 with V30 speakers. LP Standard straight into the front, no pedals. 

It sounded immense. Thick, sweet, singing. No pedal can get close to that sound and feel. 
    My problem is I’m not in a band nor do I have anywhere to turn it up like that. 

Sucks... but that’s the reality
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Maybe a modeller would be better than a low wattage valve amp? I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to have to do the same if I quit my band! Even 20w valve is too much for playing at home imo, I never get to use mine. In fact even 1w might be too loud for at home.
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    Maybe a modeller would be better than a low wattage valve amp? I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to have to do the same if I quit my band! Even 20w valve is too much for playing at home imo, I never get to use mine. In fact even 1w might be too loud for at home.
    I shouldn’t say this... but I don’t want modelling. The Lonestar I had switched down to 10 watts and sounded insanely good at lower volumes.